Sponsored by:

NEW ENGLAND DRAGWAY May 28th

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I'm not sure, but putting dry ice on a hot surface can cause the metal to crack.
I know it sounds crazy but that is coming down to one of the strongest explanations as to what happened to my blower. Put dry ice literally right on top of it. Top of the blower never felt frigid cold, but who knows.....maybe. Still have no idea what happened to that SOB.

Not worth it. Stick with wet drippy old regular ice.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG and 2003 C320 4Matic Miss my 993 Turbo above!!
Cooling

With my larger heat exchanger, I DID NOT GET HEAT SOAK.

I actually ran the following ET's:

9:20 11.607
9:32 11.724
9:54 11.608
10:00 11.561

Listen up, that's four runs in 40 minutes and as you can see times did not get worse due to heat issues. A good larger heat exchanger will take care of heat soak issues. I really don't think that cooling engines with ice or dry ice really makes a difference.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
I know it sounds crazy but that is coming down to one of the strongest explanations as to what happened to my blower. Put dry ice literally right on top of it. Top of the blower never felt frigid cold, but who knows.....maybe. Still have no idea what happened to that SOB.

Not worth it. Stick with wet drippy old regular ice.
How is that so? I was thinking of using Dry Ice myself on top of my coolers? Need to do more research....
Old 05-29-2008, 10:01 PM

To See Vidoes see link herein.

I have posted a new THREAD for the videos I took of the evening. Check it out here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/246282-videos-5-28-2008-outing-new-england-dragway.html

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 10:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
Zach here. Gotta say, I was very dissapointed in my launch. My best run was my first run at 12.37 with a 117 trap. That was powerbraking till about 1100 and mashing the throttle. I ran progressively slower times while attempting to vary my launch. My most dissapointing run was when I feathered the throttle until I hooked, then I punched it and lit 'em up at about 30 ft out. It could have been the moron in the Nissan SE-R who had to drive his car through the waterbox right in front of me, leaving three wheels dripping water on the track after his burnout. That was a 12.98. The high traps make me hopeful that an 11 second pass is in my future with DR's, as my 12.37 was with I believe (I don't have the slip in front of me) a 1.94 or a 1.92 60 ft. But I am still astounded that Oldgixxer ran an 11.95 stock with the contis, a fact which was rubbed in my face the next day at the office by one of my co-workers who also dragraces. He brought in Oldgixxers Dragtimes posting to show me what a slowa$$ I am. So I fired him. Just kidding.

So Juice, maybe it is the driver... Roland offered to fix that for me, but I was not willing to admit defeat.

I mirror what Roland was saying about Jay coming out and running... seriously fast times for a lightly modded car! And F*ing Roland... that thing is sick! You are going to get your a$$ booted out of there next time when you run a 11.33!

So even though I didn't beat my personal best, I had a blast last night!
Old 05-30-2008, 05:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Zax63
Zach here. Gotta say, I was very dissapointed in my launch. My best run was my first run at 12.37 with a 117 trap. That was powerbraking till about 1100 and mashing the throttle. I ran progressively slower times while attempting to vary my launch. My most dissapointing run was when I feathered the throttle until I hooked, then I punched it and lit 'em up at about 30 ft out. It could have been the moron in the Nissan SE-R who had to drive his car through the waterbox right in front of me, leaving three wheels dripping water on the track after his burnout. That was a 12.98. The high traps make me hopeful that an 11 second pass is in my future with DR's, as my 12.37 was with I believe (I don't have the slip in front of me) a 1.94 or a 1.92 60 ft. But I am still astounded that Oldgixxer ran an 11.95 stock with the contis, a fact which was rubbed in my face the next day at the office by one of my co-workers who also dragraces. He brought in Oldgixxers Dragtimes posting to show me what a slowa$$ I am. So I fired him. Just kidding.

So Juice, maybe it is the driver... Roland offered to fix that for me, but I was not willing to admit defeat.

I mirror what Roland was saying about Jay coming out and running... seriously fast times for a lightly modded car! And F*ing Roland... that thing is sick! You are going to get your a$$ booted out of there next time when you run a 11.33!

So even though I didn't beat my personal best, I had a blast last night!

The 117 trap is a record. So please submit your slip, AWESOME POWER buddy. Yeah your car will hit 11.98's with a 1.80-1.84 60 ft. Pull up the 63 best times thread and or email the slip to me.

Sounds fun.

As far as the dry Ice cracking the metal that is silly. If it were true my manifold would be shattered. Your not cooling the engine guys, you are fooling the intake temp, bringing it down rapidily. Our cars w/o cooling run .2-.3 slower and 2-3 mph less. This happens 500/500 times , there is not even a question. I have used 40 lbs of DRY ICE and nothing has cracked not even the rubber. It dissapates very quickly. The drippy ICE gets you kicked off the track and also could cause you to bone a run by dripping water on your rears as you leave.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Originally Posted by juicee63
As far as the dry Ice cracking the metal that is silly. If it were true my manifold would be shattered. Your not cooling the engine guys, you are fooling the intake temp, bringing it down rapidily. Our cars w/o cooling run .2-.3 slower and 2-3 mph less. This happens 500/500 times , there is not even a question. I have used 40 lbs of DRY ICE and nothing has cracked not even the rubber. It dissapates very quickly. The drippy ICE gets you kicked off the track and also could cause you to bone a run by dripping water on your rears as you leave.
I thought the 63 intake came with a plastic/composite manifold.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
+1

I almost got kicked out for the Ice spilling down the runway, lol!!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:49 AM

W211 E55
Originally Posted by Zax63
My best run was my first run at 12.37 with a 117 trap. That was powerbraking till about 1100 and mashing the throttle.
Hey Zach,

Great meeting you! You have NOTHING to be disappointed about. That 117.XX trap was phenomenal! I am positive that I have it on tape, and from what I remember, you spun significantly at the line. Not to mention, you ran that time at the beginning of the evening when the DA was still about +200. Your car has SERIOUS 118.XX potential and it will DEFINITELY be an 11 second 63 once you put DRs on it. They make a world of difference. As you know, my lauch wasn't "up to par" on Wednesday with you guys, and my worst 60' was still a 1.79X. I was just brain farting in the water box all night (i.e. my first burnout was started in REVERSE!! , my second burnout was done with ESP "on" and from there on out it was one mistake after another ). Point is, I still pulled a 1.70, 1.71, 1.72, 1.73, 1.76, 1.78 and 1.79 on ALL my 60's. Keep in mind, my "worst" 60' from the rental in Indiana abou a week ago was a 1.71 "while talking on the phone"!!

Put some sticky rubber on the back of that baby and give it a chance to get out of the hole and you will see what I mean.

Great runs and look forward to meeting up with you again
Old 05-30-2008, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by tracshun
Hey Zach,

Great meeting you! You have NOTHING to be disappointed about. That 117.XX trap was phenomenal! I am positive that I have it on tape, and from what I remember, you spun significantly at the line. Not to mention, you ran that time at the beginning of the evening when the DA was still about +200. Your car has SERIOUS 118.XX potential and it will DEFINITELY be an 11 second 63 once you put DRs on it. They make a world of difference. As you know, my lauch wasn't "up to par" on Wednesday with you guys, and my worst 60' was still a 1.79X. I was just brain farting in the water box all night (i.e. my first burnout was started in REVERSE!! , my second burnout was done with ESP "on" and from there on out it was one mistake after another ). Point is, I still pulled a 1.70, 1.71, 1.72, 1.73, 1.76, 1.78 and 1.79 on ALL my 60's.
Keep in mind, my "worst" 60' from the rental in Indiana abou a week ago was a 1.71 "while talking on the phone"!!

Put some sticky rubber on the back of that baby and give it a chance to get out of the hole and you will see what I mean.

Great runs and look forward to meeting up with you again
This post makes my stomach churn, dude you have the midas touch
Old 05-30-2008, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by rflow306
I thought the 63 intake came with a plastic/composite manifold.
Magnesium,
Old 05-30-2008, 12:44 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by tracshun
First off, I want to thank higginsbeach, his brother-in-law and Zax63 for making this yet another AMAZING and memorable occasion for me (feel like I am giving an acceptance speech ).

Don't have much time right now (will post more details later), but I ran a 11.679 @ 117.84 with a 1.708 60'. Also ran several runs in the 11.7's. The cars ran "hot" all night, but the cooler air later on and those AMAZING heat exchangers worked their magic to produce some amazing times.

Will post more later....
Brotha,

You did very well at NED. You have to get back here in the fall when we get -1,200 DA. Your car is very strong man and with some mods, you will be looking at 11.3-11.4's.

Damn you do know how to launch consistently. It was amazing that night that we could MASH on the launches. The track was amazing for launching that night. Never have I mashed and not broke loose. Goes to show how well a prepped track can do for ET and launches.

Take care and see you in the fall, ifnot earlier. I hear maybe next week another -500 night
Old 05-30-2008, 03:15 PM

TRAP SPEED!!

Originally Posted by rflow306
Dam. The trap speed is there you just need a good night. I know these car are capable of so much more than 11.30's on motor. Hopefully you or someone else will get it done, the weather is only going to get better for you guys so it is only a matter of time.
Thanks, I think so too.

Albert, I never realized how close I was to your trap speed with your 11.342 run until I looked it up on Dragtimes when I got home. I agree that these cars are capable of more than 11.3's but so far, your 11.342 is holding up nicely. I'm waiting for a couple of others like Jakpro, Rocket19 AMGFAN and others to do the honors. Your ET is a brick wall that won't break
Old 05-30-2008, 05:46 PM

W211 E55
Originally Posted by higginsbeach
I hear maybe next week another -500 night
You KNOW I would join you, but I will be in the Rockies fishing for rainbow trout. This wouldn't be a problem if I had the car with me in Colorado, since I would probably make the trip (hey, its been known to happen ). But the car will be "cooling off" in the garage in NY.

If you go, just break the record and be done with it (no offense to rflow, of course). You have one heck of a beast there my friend and that exhaust sounds AMAZING!!

Also, I didn't quite realize the significance of my run at 11.679, but apparently I am told that is only .013 off the world record for a stage 1 E55

Oh, well. I guess that will have to wait for next time. Now the only question is WHERE.....hmmmm......MIR is sounding like a good possibility in November....
Old 05-30-2008, 05:53 PM

W211 E55
This post makes my stomach churn, dude you have the midas touch
Juicee,

Thanks for the compliment. I take pride in launching this car, since there is really nothing else to do after - LOL! Anything "over" a 1.70 is not acceptable to me with drag radials and a properly prepped track (rosin, VHT, good rubber laid down, etc.). I realize this sets me up for quite a bit of rejection, but there is SOOO much potential hidden in the launch of this car. I FIRMLY believe that 1.5Xs are possible. The best so far is a 1.61 and then a few 1.64s, but 1.5s are achievable IMO. Still boggles my mind, considering the type of car, its weight, etc. Just doesn't compute that it can get out of the hole so well, but it does.

Talk about "stomachs churning", this is EXACTLY what higginsbeach and I were discussing at the track after we were launching our cars. You KNOW you have a good launch even before you get that slip if your stomach was in your throat .