Sponsored by:

100 octane gas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merc Eclass AMG
Originally Posted by chiromikey
no disrespect intended...but you're way off on your understanding of why hp is made with higher octane fuel. octane rating by itself does NOT equate to more energy or more hp.

well , my info comes from several pilots, including military air mechanics,
and I asked the union oil tech support people who make the GAS,
lol and that is what they explained to me.. and they are refining techs..
so I tend to believe them,, no disrespect intended..

I looked up the definition on a energy wiki site, and it said

"Higher octane ratings correlate to higher activation and energy"

you have to remember that ethanol which has a octane of like 130 burns like hell and alot more and more efficiently and also
faster, that is why they use it in F1 and Indy cars, and why its so much more explosive and why they have to take extra precautions while handling it..

all you have to do is light some very small amount 87 octane on the ground and then compare it to 110 gas and you can see the speed and burn characteristics are totally different..

DONT TRY THIS at home Kitties, leave it to professionals lol
( had to say that)

in any event, the EUROS have 95-96 octane and we are stuck with the crap 91, so I for one will continue to use 100 octane mix to get around 96 in my merc as it was intended to use when designed in germany,
lol

we should demand cheap 100 octane gas in this country.. and get it

have a good weekend

Last edited by UBERKAR; 06-15-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by UBERKAR
well , my info comes from several pilots, including military air mechanics,
and I asked the union oil tech support people who make the GAS,
lol and that is what they explained to me.. and they are refining techs..
so I tend to believe them,, no disrespect intended..

I looked up the definition on a energy wiki site, and it said

"Higher octane ratings correlate to higher activation and energy"

you have to remember that ethanol which has a octane of like 130 burns like hell and alot more and more efficiently and also
faster, that is why they use it in F1 and Indy cars, and why its so much more explosive and why they have to take extra precautions while handling it..

all you have to do is light some very small amount 87 octane on the ground and then compare it to 110 gas and you can see the speed and burn characteristics are totally different..

DONT TRY THIS at home Kitties, leave it to professionals lol
( had to say that)

in any event, the EUROS have 95-96 octane and we are stuck with the crap 91, so I for one will continue to use 100 octane mix to get around 96 in my merc as it was intended to use when designed in germany,
lol

we should demand cheap 100 octane gas in this country.. and get it

have a good weekend
you bring up the perfect example. ethanol has less energy than gasoline even though it has a higher octane number.

per your wiki look up, i think you misquoted. i doubt it says octane correlates to higher "activation AND energy". it likely states octane correlates to higher "activation energy", which is very different than the amount of energy available for release. activation energy is exactly why higher a octane number helps prevent detonation...it takes more energy to cause ignition.

also per a wikipedia look up:

"It should be noted that octane rating does not relate to the energy content of the fuel..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

the burning difference between 87 octane compared to 110 in your backyard experiment has nothing to do with octane...it has to do with oxygenation of the fuel (which is the reason race fuels can sometimes yield more hp even if the motor isn't tuned for it).

euro octane ratings use the ron method where we use (ron + mon)/2. it's not a direct comparison and european 96 octane is roughly equal to u.s. 91 octane.

Last edited by chiromikey; 06-15-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
damn

vp 100 just went to 7.99 a gallon.