Intercooler Coolant formulation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 01:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Intercooler Coolant formulation?

Has anyone got any experience with running a dry ice / alcohol slurry instead of an aqueous coolant? If so, any success? If not, why?

To be clear, i want to separate the motor and intercooler fluids and replace the intercooler fluid with one that is COLD.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
obviously (or maybe not) you can't run dry ice in a pressurized/sealed system. alcohol...never tried it, but i have run ice water and it's worth a tenth off my et and a mph at the end of the track. i don't know how much hp that equates to and i don't really care as i don't put any stock in dyno numbers. however, it takes a large reservoir and the tiny evo type isn't going to work. within a few seconds of circulating the ice water through the system, it's warm so it doesn't last long at all and imho not worth the trouble unless you're going for a record pass.

i have considered wrapping the reservoir in a dry ice blanket but the blankets i looked at were stupid expensive so i passed.

Last edited by chiromikey; 06-17-2008 at 02:11 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
I been thinking why you cannot hook up the air conditioner somehow to super cool the intercooler. So you got the A/C draining power and the colder air making power - I guess in the end its zero sum game at best tho or?

Playing with the fluids insiode the cooler hmm... dunno might work - think of the I/C as the cold side of the fridge and another heat exchanger as the hot side... but this needs power to run but could be run off the battery for a short while I reckon.

Last edited by stevebez; 06-17-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Originally Posted by jangy
Has anyone got any experience with running a dry ice / alcohol slurry instead of an aqueous coolant? If so, any success? If not, why?

To be clear, i want to separate the motor and intercooler fluids and replace the intercooler fluid with one that is COLD.
alcohol is corrosive to aluminum and rubber
Old 06-17-2008, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by E55JAY
alcohol is corrosive to aluminum and rubber
What about a mixture? Maybe 30% alcohol and 70% water? Could work....Hmmm
Old 06-17-2008, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
Originally Posted by V12Godspeed
What about a mixture? Maybe 30% alcohol and 70% water? Could work....Hmmm
sounds like a bomb to me, im too scared of the fumes leaking some how after being superheated and catching on fire, my cars already caught on fire once
Old 06-17-2008, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stevebez
I been thinking why you cannot hook up the air conditioner somehow to super cool the intercooler. So you got the A/C draining power and the colder air making power - I guess in the end its zero sum game at best tho or?

Playing with the fluids insiode the cooler hmm... dunno might work - think of the I/C as the cold side of the fridge and another heat exchanger as the hot side... but this needs power to run but could be run off the battery for a short while I reckon.
trust me, it's been thought of. it would be better run off of an electric pump so it's not parasitic to the motor.

regardless, it's amazing we have to think of bs like this because tuners want to rape us for $15k on a $1000 intercooler.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
sounds like a bomb to me, im too scared of the fumes leaking some how after being superheated and catching on fire, my cars already caught on fire once
Hahaha, I hear you, the other option we always have is Water Wetter...
Old 06-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
Originally Posted by stevebez

www.killerchiller.com
Old 06-17-2008, 02:27 PM

K3 05 E55 sold, 09 GL550
Originally Posted by V12Godspeed
Hahaha, I hear you, the other option we always have is Water Wetter...
yep, Im running coolant and 12oz water wetter and it was drop 5 to 7F on 94 outside temp.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by e55 killer
yep, Im running coolant and 12oz water wetter and it was drop 5 to 7F on 94 outside temp.
get rid of the coolant and just run water and water wetter and you'll see even better temps (just make sure ambient doesn't go below freezing).
Old 06-17-2008, 03:06 PM

K3 05 E55 sold, 09 GL550
Originally Posted by chiromikey
get rid of the coolant and just run water and water wetter and you'll see even better temps (just make sure ambient doesn't go below freezing).
Mine is 20F over outside temp all time in summer here in NM so I think im OK but my buddy told me to do water injection i dont know if any go bad for long run.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
same here.

I have 80/20 mix.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
*** long as the system is sealed, I don't see what the issue would be? It would definitely be a pain in the butt and I would only do it for racing. But, you could bring a jug of the slurry (alcohol + dry ice) to the track in a cooler. Drain the current fluid (whatever the normal solution is as long as it is missible with the slurry) and dump in the cold fluid. The dry ice would keep the fluid cold enough for at least 1 run and likely more. The Alcohol would help dissipate faster and is less dense so less heat soak when it does get warm. Just a thought to keep the weight down. Putting a larger reservoir in the trunk is an option, but I was hoping to drop weight and add cooling.

Obviously, the intent is to run a separate system for the IC cooler.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

*** long as the system is sealed, I don't see what the issue would be? It would definitely be a pain in the butt and I would only do it for racing. But, you could bring a jug of the slurry (alcohol + dry ice) to the track in a cooler. Drain the current fluid (whatever the normal solution is as long as it is missible with the slurry) and dump in the cold fluid. The dry ice would keep the fluid cold enough for at least 1 run and likely more. The Alcohol would help dissipate faster and is less dense so less heat soak when it does get warm. Just a thought to keep the weight down. Putting a larger reservoir in the trunk is an option, but I was hoping to drop weight and add cooling.

Obviously, the intent is to run a separate system for the IC cooler.
jangy, seriously listen...you CANNOT run dry ice in a sealed/pressurized system. i don't want to see you try something stupid and get hurt.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
jangy, seriously listen...you CANNOT run dry ice in a sealed/pressurized system. .
+1
Old 06-17-2008, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Okay what about this though.

What if you just connected the coolant lines up to the intercooler water lines. So ice cold coolant would be flowing through the intercooler. System already has an evaporator on it etc, you would just be extending the lines out a bit and running them through the intercooler .

I know I know, impossible.

Is it just too much pressure for the intercooler fins ya think.

What would happen if you just went nuts and tried it for an experiement??

Guess I just don't know my HVAC stuff so maybe it wouldn't do anything at all. Just keep thinking about those ice cold lines even in a piping hot engine compartment.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
jangy, seriously listen...you CANNOT run dry ice in a sealed/pressurized system. i don't want to see you try something stupid and get hurt.
I understand what you are saying and I work with dry ice and liquid nitrogen all the time. The key is that it is pressurized and in solution. It won't be pieces of it and the pressure would keep it from boiling.

I guess another route is a jacketted vessel. How about that, then? I'm just thinking out loud. I'm not standing over my car with a wrench.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
I understand what you are saying and I work with dry ice and liquid nitrogen all the time. The key is that it is pressurized and in solution. It won't be pieces of it and the pressure would keep it from boiling.
You seem to have all the answers, so try it out and let us know how it works.....
Old 06-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
You seem to have all the answers, so try it out and let us know how it works.....

Dude, I don't have any answers, but I am trying to step out of the box and come up with something new. Why is that so bad? Damn dude, still sore?
Old 06-17-2008, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
Dude, I don't have any answers, but I am trying to step out of the box and come up with something new. Why is that so bad? Damn dude, still sore?
I appreciate you trying to think outside the box, but others have come before you with experience in this specific mod. Those people are trying to tell you it wont work. If you think it does relative to you own experience, then knock yourself out, you wont see me stopping you. Sore, not in the slightest, that would mean your word means something to me, you have proven its worth zero, along with your extremely naive and limited knowledge. (said in a deep voice as I stare down at you from the mountain top) Not trying to start another argument, just stating facts
Old 06-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I appreciate you trying to think outside the box, but others have come before you with experience in this specific mod. Those people are trying to tell you it wont work. If you think it does relative to you own experience, then knock yourself out, you wont see me stopping you. Sore, not in the slightest, that would mean your word means something to me, you have proven its worth zero, along with your extremely naive and limited knowledge. (said in a deep voice as I stare down at you from the mountain top) Not trying to start another argument, just stating facts

Ok, I guess you da man. Its a good thing all of this has been figured out.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would say getting water injection would be the best result, and far easier to implement. Many fully auto systems around that piggy back off injector flow...

Won't really give you much max performance gain I dont think, but will allow you to run the car flat out with much reduced IAT's - which is what the goal ultimately is...

Think I am going to have another look at this.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:38 AM

E63 biturbo
My friend has tried using the air-con to chill his intercooler fluid and it does help bring down temperatures fast after a run and lowers the cruising/idling temperature, but it didn't reduce peak IATs much. This was on his CLS55 using a custom intercooler
Old 06-20-2008, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think I am going to try this HFS-5 Aquamist unit ... seems reasonably simple install and if the guys give me decent backup in getting it setup right.

App 50degC drop in IAT's...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Coolant formulation?