Sponsored by:

Replacing resonators with an X-pipe.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Too true. That custom exhaust is the way I am going, but I am so torn between X pipe and straight pipes. Why put in an X pipe unless i need to tune in some backpressure? Help, i am confused on this. Is the minor scavenging really the reason?
Old 06-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Ok, let see if we can make sense of this.

1. Does X-pipe make any power vs. straight pipes?

Yes, on a highly tuned engine (i.e. NASCAR, ALMS and so on) where proper header system with proper cam timing, collector tuning, software tuning and on and on and on...... In other words not E55.

In addition, there is an H-pipe ahead of the resonator on a stock E55, so the only thing X-pipe replacement for resonator will do is to change the sound. There is no power gain. I have dynoed cars before and after.

2. Why not e-bay X-pipe?
Two problems, E-bay pipe is not a true X-pipe - the chamber in the middle is too big, it wil not create any scavenging effects.

Secondly, it will not fit 55 or 63s as spacing between the pipes is too wide and will require redoing the whole exhaust to make it fit properly.

3. So what does X-pipe do on 55/63?

Sound. That is it. On 55 it does not realy make dramatic difference due to 9:1 CR. On 63, with 11.3:1 CR it does better, sort of flat crank Ferrari sound. The problem with MBs is that the cars are very well insulated and in order to hear anything inside, car has to be very loud on the outside, which most owners do not want.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family Sedan w/5.5 K
ahhh...a gift from the gods...clarification!

Originally Posted by Vadim @ VRP

Yes, on a highly tuned engine (i.e. NASCAR, ALMS and so on) where proper header system with proper cam timing, collector tuning, software tuning and on and on and on...... In other words not E55.

In addition, there is an H-pipe ahead of the resonator on a stock E55, so the only thing X-pipe replacement for resonator will do is to change the sound. There is no power gain. I have dynoed cars before and after.

2. Why not e-bay X-pipe?
Two problems, E-bay pipe is not a true X-pipe - the chamber in the middle is too big, it wil not create any scavenging effects.

Secondly, it will not fit 55 or 63s as spacing between the pipes is too wide and will require redoing the whole exhaust to make it fit properly.

3. So what does X-pipe do on 55/63?

Sound. That is it. On 55 it does not realy make dramatic difference due to 9:1 CR. On 63, with 11.3:1 CR it does better, sort of flat crank Ferrari sound. The problem with MBs is that the cars are very well insulated and in order to hear anything inside, car has to be very loud on the outside, which most owners do not want.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Vadim @ VRP

Thats all i needed. Straight pipes from the primary cats back to the mufflers it is. If I lose power, I'll come back in with an X.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:24 PM

old daily driver '07 E63(gone); new dd '14 750xi; 2013 Viper GTS
Originally Posted by chiromikey
what part's not true? this is the w211, not the w210 forum. you can't directly compare results gained with specific mods for a n/a engine versus a f/i one...ESPECIALLY when talking exhaust.

as another option, you could always go custom!

That is one fine lookin' header system. Craftsmanship also looks top notch. Nice goin'
Old 06-21-2008, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
does anybody have a sound clip of a CL63 that comes endowed with an X-pipe instead of Resonator

.. just to understand if sounds better than a C/E 63 that has not the X

Old 06-08-2009, 07:06 PM

2004 e55 amg
i removed the resonator with a 2.5"
straight pipe on my e55 and i was so dissappointed , it absolutely has noo sound different from stock.......i also did the same with my s55 and the sound was amazing.....a nice growl , sounds very muscular LOL , i dont know why , i guess the exhaust design are different????