IAT sensor resistor mod?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 04:46 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
IAT sensor resistor mod?

Ok, I am new to this forum and to racing Komprerssor 55 motors but been on other forums for over 10 years now.

As with any new forum member, I have paid my dues lurking and searching questions. After all this due diligence, still have a lot of questiosn to get up to speed. Just going to keep it to two questiosn to start with.

1) Seen a lot of complaints about heated IAT sensors and blower shut off. Has anyone tried to find the correct OHM resitor from radio shack to fool the PCM? This works on other PCM systems and it basically fools the PCM into thinking it is a nice cold day and "do not pull timing and shut the blower off" ?

2) I have done a lot of searches and can not find what 55 owners are getting for thier tune money.. I find it real hard to send a PCM off and not know what I am getting done to it besides advertised HP/TQ. Will tuners disclose this info on the phone and or internet to potential customers? Does anyone know exactly what they had done from each tuner??? I see no post on map changes, rev. limitor increases, shift point changes and line pressure, etc. etc. For example, can the blower be tuned to kick on earlier than 2750 rpm?
Old 06-30-2008, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Welcome to the modding world of AMG. It's a world of over priced stuff and extreme secrecy.

You'll NEVER get inside info on what they are doing with ECU mods. It's like you are asking for their SS# or something. You'll get basics on info but I have never seen a tuner reveal what they are doing exactly.

While you are on the right track with the fooling the ECU, I am not sure it would be wise to mess with the ECU protecting the motor from IAT overheating and possibly detonating. The one kink in the AMG armour with the Komp is just massive heat. Although I hate it, I want my car to back it down before damage occurs on a motor that can easlily run you 44K for a new one and 15K for a used beat one on Ebay.

I am all for and actually experitmenting with fooling the ECU through the MAP sensor to see if we can increase boost a tick without the ECU freaking and opening the bypass valve under the blower.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
1. This is to prevent detonation, to circumvent it would be foolish the correct course of action is to add cooling mods.
2. Blower should be on by 1250 rpm.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
I am all for and actually experitmenting with fooling the ECU through the MAP sensor to see if we can increase boost a tick without the ECU freaking and opening the bypass valve under the blower.
You could try the SplitSecond box for that : http://www.splitsec.com/products/clamps.htm
Old 06-30-2008, 05:58 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
1. This is to prevent detonation, to circumvent it would be foolish the correct course of action is to add cooling mods.
2. Blower should be on by 1250 rpm.
1250 rpm? Again, just from reading and feel it is 2700 rpm on my car.

Jackpro1, thank you for the honesty and heads up.. No plans to fool the IAT on my end but I have seen at leat 10-15 guys that seem that want the blower to stay on at all cost.. I just brought it up for discussion and see if any elctrical engineers may chime in and add ideas. It seems a lot of the tuning and temerpature mods are still in their infancy.

Secret tuning? That it is a suprise . I can see maping secrets but not knowing shift points, rev. limitor, cooling fan activation temp, line pressure on the tranny and if the blower kick in rpm is changed seems un-reasonbale. You say these motors are 44 grand and 55 owners just trust all the a/f ratios and other changes? Has any of this info been listed by tuners yet? I really can not find much on searches in this area. They just say maping/timing mods. Shift points, line pressure and rev. limiotr changes can really net more ET on may cars than messing with Maping/timing stuff. Of course HP sells over ET.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 Evosport I & II; VRP H/E
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
I am all for and actually experitmenting . . .
All of us that have followed your journey know that you are not bashful about experimenting!

Old 06-30-2008, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
1250 rpm? Again, just from reading and feel it is 2700 rpm on my car.

Jackpro1, thank you for the honesty and heads up.. No plans to fool the IAT on my end but I have seen at leat 10-15 guys that seem that want the blower to stay on at all cost.. I just brought it up for discussion and see if any elctrical engineers may chime in and add ideas. It seems a lot of the tuning and temerpature mods are still in their infancy.

Secret tuning? That it is a suprise . I can see maping secrets but not knowing shift points, rev. limitor, cooling fan activation temp, line pressure on the tranny and if the blower kick in rpm is changed seems un-reasonbale. You say these motors are 44 grand and 55 owners just trust all the a/f ratios and other changes? Has any of this info been listed by tuners yet? I really can not find much on searches in this area. They just say maping/timing mods. Shift points, line pressure and rev. limiotr changes can really net more ET on may cars than messing with Maping/timing stuff. Of course HP sells over ET.

2700 is roughly the torque peak. The ECU controls the SC clutch and bypass valve according to throttle position, load, OAT, IAT, MAP, ect. If yours comes on line @ 2750 you need to get it checked.
Here is a good read,
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...light=shutdown

Trending Topics

Old 06-30-2008, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
The compressor can activate just off idle if enough load is present. I would rather have a looser converter.

Last edited by rflow306; 06-30-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:27 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Thanks for the detailed S/C workings. Still getting up to speed on the 55.

Speaking of converters; has anyone modified thiers yet? One of the best mods for these heavy cars would be a lose coverter. Fully agree with that.. Would be a great 1st or second mod!