Sponsored by:

Brake Problem!?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' E55 Techtite Grey
Brake Problem!?!

It is telling me "Brake, Visit Workshop" What do you think is the problem? Is it just the pads are worn down? Also it has seemed to effect my Keyless Go. Sometimes when I try to start the car it just turns on the Radio on the first push and the Accessory on the second and turns off the car on the third.... like what happens when you hit the button without the brake on. Any ideas?!?
Old 07-23-2008, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family Sedan w/5.5 K
I had the problem about six months back. my mechanic told me it pops up when you overheat the brakes, i had on the track the previous weekend. it turned out to be a $9 brake switch behind the brake peddle.

Originally Posted by NSX2NV
It is telling me "Brake, Visit Workshop" What do you think is the problem? Is it just the pads are worn down? Also it has seemed to effect my Keyless Go. Sometimes when I try to start the car it just turns on the Radio on the first push and the Accessory on the second and turns off the car on the third.... like what happens when you hit the button without the brake on. Any ideas?!?
Old 07-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
It is the switch going bad, but why from heat? It is a damn fly by wire system. I've had the overheating warning come on many times (not since the Evosport rotors and porterfield pads) and it was never an issue with how the car ran. Hopefully the switch is under warrany, if not be happy it is $9.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:24 PM

2004 E55 Evosport I & II; VRP H/E
I had the same "Brake, Visit Workshop" message. Vadim found it and replaced the switch.

But, I think that he charged me $10.

Damn him!
Old 07-23-2008, 02:19 PM

Family Sedan w/5.5 K
No relation between the overheating and the switch. It just so happened i overheated the brakes the weekend earlier. The mechanic thought that might be the culprit for the "brakes, visit mechanic" warning, it turned out to be the switch.

Originally Posted by jangy
It is the switch going bad, but why from heat? It is a damn fly by wire system. I've had the overheating warning come on many times (not since the Evosport rotors and porterfield pads) and it was never an issue with how the car ran. Hopefully the switch is under warrany, if not be happy it is $9.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:44 PM

2003 e55
how funny.. my brake visit workshop light recently came on too.. my car still brakes, so im just ignoring it until something goes wrong
Old 07-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Does anyone know where this switch is? Just curious, since i'd get warranty anyways.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:13 AM

03' E55 Techtite Grey
Originally Posted by jangy
Does anyone know where this switch is? Just curious, since i'd get warranty anyways.
Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm out of warranty so I'll be doing the fix myself. So where is the switch located? Also does anyone have a part number or actual technical name for the switch so I can go to the dealership and buy one. Thanks everyone for all the help.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:00 PM

07' E350, 71' DATSUN 510
Could be a couple of things. Including the SBC hydraulic pump(the pump that stops the car for you). The pump reaches it's "service threshold" and needs to be replaced.

For those who don't want to spend any money and wait untill something happens, guess what... it's covered under warranty!! Mercedes applied an extended, unlimited mileage warranty to the SBC hydraulic unit for 10 years.

To me it would be worth it to stop by the dealer and see if the pump's on it's way out and have it replaced under warranty.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:51 PM

2005 E55, Renntech Pulley, ECU
Oldschool, I had the exact same diagnosis. Bad pump. Replaced under warranty a few years back when this happened. Thank god, cuz it isn't a cheap fix.

Take it in. I'm betting your SBC pump is failing. Don't clown around with your brakes! Brake warnings are one of the few things that'll have me in the dealership on the same day it pops up!

Skeeter