Is my IC pump on?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 CLS5504, 13 RX350, 13 Yukon
Is my IC pump on?

"First let me say that I am non technical when it comes to car mechanics"

For the past couple of months I have noticed that my supercharger shuts off after only a couple hard runs. Probably it has something to do with this hot humid weather here in L.A.(Lower Alabama). I also would try and listen to the pump after shutting the car down but never heard it. After searching and reading through various threads I decided to change pump. I purchased the pump about 3 or 4 months ago with the intention of having it changed on one of my trips to Houston. But the wife was out of town and I had the whole day. Some said it took them 45 minutes, some said 1.5 hours. I figured 8 hours should be enough time for me. The two threads I followed were from the C32 section and both said the install was similar on the e55. After removing the wheel and wheel well i noticed a fan looking structure where I thought the pump was suppose to be (from pictures). After removing some more of the bottom cover I noticed the pump. After finally getting the clips off and dodging all the coolant falling I managed to get it off. After removing the metal plate and rubber surround the instructions said to place it on the new pump. The Johnson pump is way too small to fit in the rubber housing. I was unprepared for this so I ended up taking a microfiber towel and wrapping it around the pump. To keep everything in place I wrapped it in electrical tape. The rubber housing fit perfect then. After crimping the electrical wires together I put everything back together and let it run for a bit. After shutting off the car I still heard nothing in that area. I took it for a spin and was hard on it for awhile and the supercharger did not quit. Am I deaf because I do not hear it? Is there any other way to find out if its actually working? I looked at the fuse box but have no idea which one it is. Does anyone know the fuse number for the relay?
Old 08-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Former Vendor

Any AMG Thats Around..
you can jump power directly to the pump to see if its inop or not...
Old 08-04-2008, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
I didn't even read your post but if you have to even ask then....IT'S NOT WORKING.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
once the car is hot.. you will feel the johnson pump working and you can hear the slight buzz

you can feel the hoses with pressure.. but don't expect to be a strong pressure on those hoses..

if the pump is not working... there is no circulation at all..

remove the front center grill and you should have access to the hoses and even the pump to check if they are working.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Former Vendor

Any AMG Thats Around..
its right in front of the passenger front wheel..... if you take the wheel and the inner splash guard you have access to it...