W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shelby Cobra CSX4000

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11/E63-Former car: '05 RT4 E55, Sprintbooster, Phenolic Spacers, RT IC /Secondary HE & BMC Filters
Shelby Cobra CSX4000

anyone have any idea how this 427 s/c differs from the Superformance mkIII? understand Shelby motors has brought back this vintage beauty along with the Daytona Coupe. saw a silver & white stripe Shelby Cobra 427 s/c on the fwy yesterday (perfect condition)-had the harness belts and driver side roll bar-sounded amazing as it rumbled by. as far as the new Shelby's, seems the skins are exact, but all new updated: tranny, cooling, engine and brakes etc. a bit off-topic for our board , but have not been able to get the image and sound out of my mind since I saw this beauty.

all in, seems probably 70% the prx tag of a good condition Ford GT.

fun link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqkxu...eature=related

Last edited by m52e55; 08-09-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:36 PM

2003 e55
all i know is.. these things are awfully loud when seen in person
Old 08-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
I think Carroll Shelby got tired of fighting all the kit car companies selling Cobra knock-offs. Several years back, when he started selling "new" 1966 continuation Cobras, he hit onto something: people still want the real thing very much!

In terms of value, the Shelby CSX4000 is head and shoulders above the Superfomance cars. First, the mold for the fiberglass cars is the truest shape you will find, bar none. The Superformance is just not quite 100% right. Second, you can order an aluminum body, just like 1966. Third, you get to place your CSX4000 in the Shelby owners registry, just like the guy with the $500,000 1966 Cobra. Fourth, (as if anyone would really sell one), a true Shelby will always be worth more than a Superformance. Lastly, (just for now), if you run across Carroll himself some time, he'll sign the dash board of your CSX4000.

I've met Carroll before and genuinely like the man. Out of respect for his genius and hard work, I would be hesitant to go get a knock-off.

Just my $.02
Old 08-09-2008, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
I seen a real one up close, they are loud!! the guy was showing off zoom! zoom! a fews burn out! and when he got out he burn the side of leg on the exhaust..

i thought that was funny
Old 08-09-2008, 10:49 PM

'11/E63-Former car: '05 RT4 E55, Sprintbooster, Phenolic Spacers, RT IC /Secondary HE & BMC Filters
Originally Posted by ScottW911
I think Carroll Shelby got tired of fighting all the kit car companies selling Cobra knock-offs. Several years back, when he started selling "new" 1966 continuation Cobras, he hit onto something: people still want the real thing very much!

In terms of value, the Shelby CSX4000 is head and shoulders above the Superfomance cars. First, the mold for the fiberglass cars is the truest shape you will find, bar none. The Superformance is just not quite 100% right. Second, you can order an aluminum body, just like 1966. Third, you get to place your CSX4000 in the Shelby owners registry, just like the guy with the $500,000 1966 Cobra. Fourth, (as if anyone would really sell one), a true Shelby will always be worth more than a Superformance. Lastly, (just for now), if you run across Carroll himself some time, he'll sign the dash board of your CSX4000.

I've met Carroll before and genuinely like the man. Out of respect for his genius and hard work, I would be hesitant to go get a knock-off.

Just my $.02
thank you for input and agree. seems like Shelby has brought bach the GT40 & Daytona Coupe too. the p & f-cars etc are amazing, but there is something about the American beauty of these Shelby's & the Ford GT (willing to bet the GT too, given heritage, will be a new vintage collectors, as well). true beauties (the SC & GT). just curious as prx points are similar (the CSX seeems like a very good deal given comps/prx)-thanks again for thoughts.

Last edited by m52e55; 08-09-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG
I seen a real one up close, they are loud!! the guy was showing off zoom! zoom! a fews burn out! and when he got out he burn the side of leg on the exhaust..

i thought that was funny
funny, but have seen a few vids where the Cobra rally enthusiasts refer to the side exhausts as "leg burners"...

any thoughts about having the Shelby CSX v Ford GT, if could just have one extra toy, for now? thx.

Last edited by m52e55; 08-10-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Originally Posted by m52e55
funny, but have seen a few vids where the Cobra rally enthusiasts refer to the side exhausts as "leg burners"...

any thoughts about having the Shelby CSX v Ford GT, if could judt have one extra toy, for now? thx.
Speaking from experience of having owned a car very similar to the Shelby CSX I can tell you that they are great fun but very impractical. If you are only doing track days or going from point A and back to point A, they are great. If you want to drive them around or drive them to work, it becomes difficult unless you have a secure garage to put it in where you are going so you don't have to screw with the cockpit cover or rain gear. They are VERY loud when rolling down the highway, you will get wind blasted, and dirtier then you have ever been short of riding a motorcycle. Impracticality aside, this is about the most fun you can have with your pants on involving 4 wheels and an engine! Speaking of pants, I have a few burn scars on my leg so watch that exhaust as invariably you will forget it's there!

An "exotic" like the GT40 is much more tame, still has plenty of power and noise. You can park it most anywhere where it won't get vandalized, weather is not of any concern, and you will not burn your leg unless you do something really stupid.

If you are a die hard and have owned several exotics and/or some dedicated track cars, go for the CSX. If this is your first outrageous car and you are used to driving AMG, M, and P cars, I would steer clear and get the GT40. Or, if you own an AMG and an exotic, get a CSX for a weekend toy.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Blacksport350
Speaking from experience of having owned a car very similar to the Shelby CSX I can tell you that they are great fun but very impractical. If you are only doing track days or going from point A and back to point A, they are great. If you want to drive them around or drive them to work, it becomes difficult unless you have a secure garage to put it in where you are going so you don't have to screw with the cockpit cover or rain gear. They are VERY loud when rolling down the highway, you will get wind blasted, and dirtier then you have ever been short of riding a motorcycle. Impracticality aside, this is about the most fun you can have with your pants on involving 4 wheels and an engine! Speaking of pants, I have a few burn scars on my leg so watch that exhaust as invariably you will forget it's there!

An "exotic" like the GT40 is much more tame, still has plenty of power and noise. You can park it most anywhere where it won't get vandalized, weather is not of any concern, and you will not burn your leg unless you do something really stupid.

If you are a die hard and have owned several exotics and/or some dedicated track cars, go for the CSX. If this is your first outrageous car and you are used to driving AMG, M, and P cars, I would steer clear and get the GT40. Or, if you own an AMG and an exotic, get a CSX for a weekend toy.
all very good points. thx.

Last edited by m52e55; 08-10-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Your leg and foot can be burned just driving it, Blacksport is right they are very much a weekend car.

Like Bill Gates stole from Stephen Jobs,
Caroll Shelby stole from Dick Jones.
Never did have much respect for Caroll Shelby.

http://www.dickjonesspecial.transita...nz/?page_id=60
Old 08-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Like Bill Gates stole from Stephen Jobs,
Caroll Shelby stole from Dick Jones.
Never did have much respect for Caroll Shelby.

http://www.dickjonesspecial.transita...nz/?page_id=60
Are you smoking crack? Shelby is an American Legend.

The thing is, most sports cars of the 1950's looked somewhat similar. To claim that Shelby ripped off Dick Jones is like saying Jones stole from Briggs Cunningham.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN

When builders hack a nearly identical twin some 30 to 50 years later and pass is off as a "Cobra", badging and all, that is theft.

Here is a Cunningham, the "first American sports car".
Attached Thumbnails Shelby Cobra CSX4000-cunnlrp.jpg  

Last edited by ScottW911; 08-10-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Are you smoking crack? Shelby is an American Legend.

The thing is, most sports cars of the 1950's looked somewhat similar. To claim that Shelby ripped off Dick Jones is like saying Jones stole from Briggs Cunningham.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN

When builders hack a nearly identical twin some 30 to 50 years later and pass is off as a "Cobra", badging and all, that is theft.

Here is a Cunningham, the "first American sports car".
Jones and Cunningham were running buddies in LA, back in the day.
Just because he is a legend to the masses dose not equate to earning my respect. Ya he did well as a driver, so I probably harbor some envy in that regard. Add to that my disdain for Ford products, well lets just say from my youth in Colorado, Shelby was the guy to despise. See we were on the other team. That said it is a safe bet you did not invest in AENG.
I apologize if I offended any Shelby Fans.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
... Add to that my disdain for Ford products...
Oh...I see. Some prejudices run deep. Kind of like my trouble with Joe Montana. Here he is, probably one of the top 3 NFL QB's of all time and I still can't get past the fact that he came out of Notre Dame. All of his wins, poise, class and excitement and I still have no respect for those Whining Irish.

Yes, it seems lame to me too.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 BEAST
IMO you have to respect anyone who tapes their broken hand to the steering wheel just so they can compete in a race.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:21 PM

'04 E55; '03 E500 Sport
Shelby's no angel, but....

Was going to stay out of this thread - I built and own a quality Cobra replica (that I do NOT pass off as the real deal w/ badges, etc..) - but given some of the recent comments, thought I'd drop in my own $.01. I am active with the local Shelby club, and until recently, was a member of SAAC (restored and owned a '66 GT350, plus a "retro-build" FFR 427 replica w/IRS, Quaife diff, supercharger, Wilwood 8-piston brakes, EFI, 450+ RWHP, lots of modern go-fast extras).

I have met Carrol Shelby, talked at length with him, shaken his hand, had him sign my dash as well (in happier, pre-lawsuit days)...I even proudly display some of his personal memorabilia at home (bought at the Shelby Historic Garage Sale in '94). He has been a personal hero, literally 'bigger than life', from the first time I saw Cobra way back as an impressionable 12-year old car nut.

However you feel about the "continuation" and aftermarket replica cars, understand that Shelby is ALL about the cash. He'd make Ferrari knockoffs if he thought he could get away with it. Anyone remember his troubles with the Feds and State of CA when it was 'discovered' that the "lost in a warehouse" 427 chassis really weren't? And investor lawsuits? Add to that the recent split (and now reconciliation, as of this week) with Rick Kopec/SAAC and his forming of a competing organization... look close and he's no angel. And there's more just under the covers. Regardless, my respect for him and what he's accomplished over the years remains. (And keep in mind that Shelby now gets a royalty from most replica kit sales).

Re owning/driving a Cobra, replica or otherwise - you will rarely have as much fun with a steering wheel, ever. Just keep in mind that it's a 4-wheel motorcycle - weather exposure, sore butt, and bugs in the teeth. Like a superbike, a Cobra WILL bite if you get too exuberent on the throttle, and there's not much between you and the ground if it flips. The wheelbase is shorter than a Honda Civic, at half the weight and 4+ times the power, with a front weight bias. Clean, hard launches are a challenge ...

I've done a 1200 mile road trip, at speed, from SD to Reno (with minimal freeway time) on backroads, up to Oregon and back down the coast - and and never had as much fun (or was as tired). Taken in small doses, Cobras are perfect weekend warriors - and I highly recommend one if you are into a raw driving experience. If not, you'll sell it after just a few thousand miles.

PS - Every new Cobra owner gets a "snake bite" scar on the left calf...eventually.
Attached Thumbnails Shelby Cobra CSX4000-fasnake-1-.jpg   Shelby Cobra CSX4000-way-knotts.jpg   Shelby Cobra CSX4000-img_0666sm.jpg