Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

e63 vs s63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e63 vs s63

I am thinking of buying an e63 sedan, had thought for a minute about an e63 wagon but decided a sedan makes more sense for me. I recently had and sold an s63 and liked the car but felt it was a bit too big for my needs and felt the car had to be pushed a bit hard to really be in the sweet spot. Curious if anybody has had both the e63 and s63 and how they would compare the 2. I am just hoping the e63 will be a bit more nimble and fun and not feel as big and heavy.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Because the engines are identical, you won't feel too much difference between the two cars. I know the E63 is a little lighter and therefore a little faster and more sporty, but I'm not sure if it's enough for what you're looking for.. There's definitely a difference, but not too strong especially in terms of revving-up the engine and extracting power. You may be better off with an E55 because it feels significantly different than the E63, and is very easily modable to a good 100 hp more and probably 100 more torque.

I know you feel the S-Class is too big, but have you considered an S65? It's 100 hp more than the E63 and 200 more torque Not to mention, you can get another 80 hp by just flashing the ECU. All that power is sure to make you forget about the size

Last edited by MB_Forever; 08-21-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Almost a Member!

08 S550, 08 E63, other non-Green cars
I have an S550 Sport and a stock E63, so I can't compare from straight accel point of view. But the S with wider Conti's on 21's and lowered still feel like driving a boat by comparison. Plus the tighter cockpit in the E makes it feel sportier, and is sportier when tossed it around.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:40 PM

I'm not sure how much help this is but I have an e63 wagon. Prievioulsly I had a cl63 which I would guess is pretty much the same driving experience as the s63. Afterall, the chassis and most of the interior is shared.

The best descriptions I would say are:

Cl63, feels quite lazy until really pushed, sort of like a lazy dog that is happy walking slowly until he see's a cat, then all hell breaks loose and it just wants to pull and pull.

E63, more like a small jack russel dog that is always straining at the leash and you are having to hold back all the time.

Handling wise you can tell the cl has a much stiffer chasis and more modern design as it just soaked up the bumps better and inspired more confidence to push it that little bit quicker, I also found this in an s 320 cdi (current shape) that I owned for a while.

Saying all that about the performance though, I had both to the strip and they produced very near identical figures, and although the cl always felt more lazy, I took my brother in law out in it and he said it is the only car he has ever felt ill in after I gave it a good thrash down some winding country roads. I've done the same route with him in my e class and he was fine.

Driving wise I prefer my e class just because of that constant feeling that it wants to go faster, but if the cl had that feel, which I guess could probably be done by some wizard with the ecu, then the cl would win hands down.

As I said, it's not a direct comparison as you asked, but I hope it helps you make a difficult, but nice choice

One more thing,
The cl sounds better, with a nice crackling over run when backing off the throttle, but that should be sorted soon, as I've just ordered an eisenmann race exhaust for my e
Old 08-21-2008, 08:41 AM

e vs s 63

thanks for have confirmed my gut feeling, that the e63 will feel more agressive and fun and less lazy which is what I did not like about the s63. I found aleft over 2008 e63 blk blk that can be bought at a big discount so think I will take it
Old 08-21-2008, 10:13 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
The S class is a boat, regardless of what power package it has. And it's supposed to be a boat, like a german rolls royce. That's its job.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:56 PM

e63 vs s63

decided to get the e63 blk blk 2008 moedel good discount being the 2009 will be here soon pick it up SAT