to race a CL600 V12 biturbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,071 Likes on 859 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by Addicted2Speed
Can't really agree with you, 600 with ecu makes about 515whp, while stage 1 55 (pulley/tune) makes about 450whp. There is going to be at least 50whp difference and an even greater torque different. Not to mention much broader power band in the 600. Maybe something was wrong with your Renntech SL600.. because there two different dyno's on dragtimes showing 520whp
My CL600 made right at 524 RWHP on just an ECU tune. It had over 70,000 miles when it was dynoed and was stock down to the air filters. I have never seen a stage 1 E55 anywhere even close to that. Not to mention, it was making over 500 RWHP for most of the run. The HP curve was almost flat throughout the rev range. You don't see that in a supercharged E55.

The supercharged V8's build HP with rpms while the 600 builds it early and holds the power throughout the range. Look at the dyno of an E55 and a tuned 600. You will find, even if the peak HP numbers are the same, the 600 will have more power over 99% of the RPM range.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Bingo...

To OP.

I would stay away from the modded 600's since you have no ECU tune. Your car's ECU is actually trying to fight the higher boost with timing and fuel. You wanna good shot, snag a tune for that pulley and she'll really perk up.

Still would be a rough one though.
not easy to find around here any body experienced and able to make a custom Ecutune for a 55K ... they are usual with 200K
and I don't want a standard tuning file ..
Ecutune will be the most interesting mod for me, not simply a "necessity" because I'll want to know exactly and see at what level they will change each parameters

This is for me a learning experience, other than a great money wasting project. Even if you give me my car back with 700hp but you don't allow me to be part of the tuning process ... what for? I don't live on races.

I found a german tuner that offered dyno check after his tuning .. meaning you have the right to refuse that tune upon a significant difference in result..
Unfortunately I see that he recently lowered promised performance!

I was planning to go to Germany for that, but only after having agreed that tuning will be made on those conditions. If they are going to keep everything secret .. as somebody else does with his mod's specifications I'll not take that.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jangy
haha!! Marco!! 600s are sleepers, bro. V12TT plus a tune is no joke.

That fridge is available for W211s that have the ski hole....
I do have the Sky sac !
maybe it is the same device and panel as for CL.. seemed to me quite same sizes. must look for it
...or you were thinking about a cooling mod

what headers are you running now?

.. while we went for racing, I gave the guy at the spare parts office a job: to look for the SLR header, number and cost.
when back, he was smiling asking for the race outcome .. and gave me those data and this, 4 in 2 in 1 as I imagined :

unfortunately the part includes the cat converter and therefore the cost is prohibitive
.. but I already found here somebody able and willing to make it.. should I decide for that design
Old 08-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost

From what I have seen 410-420rwhp is typical on CPT's dyno for a Stage 1 car.

That is more like the stock E55s, if I'm not off?

My ... 55 made 436rwhp (stage 1).

I would have expected a 50hp gain, but that's close

.....maybe RENNTech doesn't make as much power as VRP

HAHA!! Maybe, indeed. To be fair, the tune on the 600 was older. TQ limiter has only recently been played with.

you don't think with Stage 1 (+30rwhp) a healthy 55 car can run with a ECU'd 600? I beg to differ...

I don't believe in healthy but I think a tuned 600 will have more power /weight. Keep in mind, i am talking about a VRP stag1 vs a VRP tuned 600; both by Powerchip and both recent revisions.

-m
thanks for the insight. Did you pre and post dyno your e55? 30 hp gain at the wheels is a bit low IMO. stage 1 is easily the biggest bang for the buck.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by dyno
I do have the Sky sac !
maybe it is the same device and panel as for CL.. seemed to me quite same sizes. must look for it
...or you were thinking about a cooling mod

HAHA!! I am doing cooling next, but not with that. it would be for VIC's Coors Lights. Here is a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...5810QQtcZphoto

what headers are you running now?

I am running the VRP HEMs. I'm happy with them for now. I'm hoping i can drop a little pressure and get it back with more fuel.

.. while we went for racing, I gave the guy at the spare parts office a job: to look for the SLR header, number and cost.
when back, he was smiling asking for the race outcome .. and gave me those data and this, 4 in 2 in 1 as I imagined :

unfortunately the part includes the cat converter and therefore the cost is prohibitive
.. but I already found here somebody able and willing to make it.. should I decide for that design
Bro, a 4 into 2 into 1 with proper sized tubes is going to be VERY difficult (if not impossible) because of the available room. You will have to go with long tubes and a different drop angle. If you are going to get headers fabbed, go ahead and get all the piping to the rear mufflers. For fun, slide a small pipe inside the tailpipe and see how much it kills the baffling. LOUD!!
Old 08-22-2008, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vadim @ VRP
Dyno, the way you write, you remind me of how my wife talks.

She is Sicilian.

The fridge in the back seats is COOOOOLLLLL!!!
SICILIA is a very interesting COUNTRY

and you, "ot kuda"?
btw, ... anything interesting now at VRP? because my friends at the service are now mor einterested that before to help with my performance enhancements.
-I delayed to next week the 80TB install because I want to make another dyno with the pulley alone
- they are now busy with those rear Led lights, Sam and connections parts, and with retrofitting the TPMS.

We were discussing the HEADERs issue: decision is not upon emissions requirements. I showed some modded header and ..my Tech would like me to install a Long.
I'm not convinced ... true, there's an high probability I'll end up with some cams too, b only slightly more aggressive than Slr's, (just the opposite of what you are doing now if I understand correctly)
in any case, I don't want to transform this into a roaring car.. must remain a Beast in disguise
Old 08-22-2008, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by jangy
thanks for the insight. Did you pre and post dyno your e55? 30 hp gain at the wheels is a bit low IMO. stage 1 is easily the biggest bang for the buck.
This is Dyno Dynamics - aka the heart breaker - stock E55 does 360-390rwhp. My '03 E55 did 370rwhp bone stock, my '05 did 400rwhp (again, highest 55k car to ever dyno at CPT). I picked up 36rwhp with Stage 1 with my '05.

Re: Older RENNTech tune, very possible. The dyno does not look like VRP's recent VR620 dyno, you can see torque limitation as it approaches redline.

I am eagerly waiting to dyno my 65.

-m
Old 08-23-2008, 01:34 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
anything interesting now at VRP?
How far do you want to go?

550HP, 600HP, 650HP, 700HP, 750HP.....
Old 08-23-2008, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,071 Likes on 859 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350

1000.....!
Old 08-23-2008, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63
lol
Old 08-23-2008, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

550 don't need anymore because, as showed above, I already passed it without Ecu.

...reading average performance values as said above by other members , I have to consider myself lucky to have an happy engine: 438whp stock + correction = 447whp, Stock, KN filters

attached is that test at a "braked dyno": as you certainly know, this is a much more serious test than an "inertial dyno": unfortunately, the guy at the dyno test lost the rpm signal at 6000 rpm, so the graph shows that reading as the first value at zero rpm. I rewrote it correctly at 6000

As you see, HP at wheel decrease after 5000 rpm (even if engine HP continue to increase after consideration of tranny power loss).
Also tranny Loss calculated at about 7%is not correct because it was calculated in neutral gear that is much less than real loss with gear engaged. As we have no clutch, that test is not possible.

Next week I'll confirm my butt dyno 25-35whp worth sensation for that added pulley.

- TB, Quaife and shorter final drive I already have and will be installed immediately after that.

What I want is to see my engine pulling till over 6700 (pulling, not just revving), with a flat, not downward sloped WHP curve at that level, unlike my present configuration that stops at 5000.

500+ WHP@6700 is my goal (note: I said 6700, not 6100 !).

Need a pretty powerful Header that should compliment a suitable Cam set

presently my options are for SLR or that german cam 264-268-lift11, that in my opinion has a too long duration
or ..if you'll find out how much is your current aggressive cam set .. and you find there's enough market demand for its StreetVersion

Last edited by dyno; 08-23-2008 at 02:45 PM.