Encounter with an Rs4 -2 races, 2 flops

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by AlbertM
This was not my first time racing an RS4, so I was pretty confident that I would beat him. Most of my races happen from 50+, so the rev limiter is not an issue. This was my first time from 25MPH roll and I clearly did not know a good way to launch. I thought that starting from 1st at 4RPM would give me an instantaneous advantage. Little did I know ))

So based on everyone's comment it is safe to say that leaving the car in D/S, ESP on, is the best way to get consistent results. I just thought that going from the 1st would save time on having the auto tranny do the job . Since in these races any hesitation means a lost race.

Some recommend to leave the car in Comfort, Why? What is wrong with Sport2.

But still seems to me that the electronics does not seem to keep up with 1-2 shift.

I am not worried about RS4 guys having fun on the board, I am pretty sure he figured out what was going on.

Sadly 1st gear IMHO is our worst gear, what I mean is it is the most important and difficult shift. It seems the tcu in every 63 adapts to the driver therefore your first gear shift will happen where you mostly shift out. The transmission gets confused when you suddenly go wot a few times. Get on an open road and do some 0-40 sprints in M1. Do not shift. This should teach the transmission the maximum shift point. Then do d/s and run the same test note the rpm the car shifts to 2nd and then 2nd to 3rd. A roll in 1st in the 63 is a bad idea, you wanna roll in 2nd or 3rd to prevent the cahnce of a bad 1st to 2nd shift. Do some tests to make sure your car is functioning properly(transmission) it may need a reset, and a retrain (agressive) by the driver
Old 08-26-2008, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you should have murdered that RS4 dig or roll....I had RS4 before my e63.
on dig, may not be that obvious, but anything after 40mph, you will swallow it alive.
One of the main reason I sold my RS4 was the lack of juice. is doing good on 0-60 ONLY because of the AWD, is not a fast car at all.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by hkpooh
you should have murdered that RS4 dig or roll....I had RS4 before my e63.
on dig, may not be that obvious, but anything after 40mph, you will swallow it alive.
One of the main reason I sold my RS4 was the lack of juice. is doing good on 0-60 ONLY because of the AWD, is not a fast car at all.
But it looks good! besides if your going to fast no one will see you.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer Down
But it looks good! besides if your going to fast no one will see you.
yeah and handling is pretty good, miss that sucker =)

I do a lot of freeway commute the 60-100 burst is just not that impressive....the pick up from dig was ok. also you can pretty much floor it or jump the clutch and no need to worry about wheelspin.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by hkpooh
yeah and handling is pretty good, miss that sucker =)

I do a lot of freeway commute the 60-100 burst is just not that impressive....the pick up from dig was ok. also you can pretty much floor it or jump the clutch and no need to worry about wheelspin.
I know MTM makes a supercharger for it and that it will make over 525hp and run mid 11's. If only someone made a TT kit for that car btw it even sounds good! but it needs another 130-150hp to wake it up!
Old 08-26-2008, 07:04 PM

E63 AMG 2010, Black, Pano, P2
Originally Posted by juicee63
Sadly 1st gear IMHO is our worst gear, what I mean is it is the most important and difficult shift. It seems the tcu in every 63 adapts to the driver therefore your first gear shift will happen where you mostly shift out. The transmission gets confused when you suddenly go wot a few times. Get on an open road and do some 0-40 sprints in M1. Do not shift. This should teach the transmission the maximum shift point. Then do d/s and run the same test note the rpm the car shifts to 2nd and then 2nd to 3rd. A roll in 1st in the 63 is a bad idea, you wanna roll in 2nd or 3rd to prevent the cahnce of a bad 1st to 2nd shift. Do some tests to make sure your car is functioning properly(transmission) it may need a reset, and a retrain (agressive) by the driver
Thanks for the tip. Today I tried to take my car out for a spin and test it. You are correct, rolling from 1st is a bad idea. It is very hard not to hit a rev limiter. So I did rolls in d/s several times. After a few runs, it started to downshift aggressively to the peak RPM range and then upshift without rev limiter issues. I was able to get consistent acceleration results without problems, simply by tapping the gas pedal. Then I cruise for a while 1-2 min and floor again from about 25MPH roll the tranny did not downshift to the lowest gear right away. After several tries it adapted again. So it seems like the tranny decides how aggressively to downshift depending how aggressively I drive in the past several minutes.

Also, in my car the shift from 1st to 2 appears to be somewhere between 6K and 7K RPM.

So it seems that before any race I have to drive the car aggressively for sometime. Maybe as soon as I want to cruise I should switch to C and then back to S for aggressive driving.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
I took a RS4 for a ride today.

After reading this thread I decided to take a RS4 out a short ride today. I never got it to WOT, but it is a really fun car to drive. I wouldn't mind having one of these for my daily driver. I don't care how fast it is or isn't but I had forgotten how fun it was to drive a 6 speed.