Sponsored by:

From RS4 to E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question From RS4 to E55

All,

I've been a member on here for a while, posting every now and again. I originally wanted an E55, but at the time I was shopping I decided on the 07 RS4 instead. Now after having it a year, and the prices for the E55 dropping even more, I'm shopping again while the RS4 is up for sale.

So, as with about everything else I shop for, I've been doing a ton of research. What I still have been unable to find is solid information on the following:

1. Who offers quality engine rebuilds, and how much? I plan to immediately pulley/chip this car, followed by headers and the other string of sequential mods. I want to be prepared for the worst, should it happen.

2. Virtually everyone on this forum says something similar to "Buying an AMG car without a warranty is like having unprotected sex with a Somalian *****" (I think this is a direct quote ). Are these cars realy that unreliable? I won't buy one without either a factory warranty, or an aftermarket warranty... BUT, having pulley/ecu mods, I'm concerned that my claims will be denied. This it typical amongst most owners, I assume.

3. IF I were to purchase a car without a warranty, and did not get my car serviced at MB (local performance shop 2 miles from me), are estimated time and work involved for repairs considerably more than cars like Audi, Porsche, etc.?

4. 2005 seemed to get some nice upgrades over the 2004 models, so I have eliminated 03/04 from my searches. Good move, or unnecessary? Curious on a difference in "feel" from the suspension component and steering rack upgrades in 05.

Many thanks for any info that can be provided!

Thanks,
Brad
Old 08-31-2008, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
good luck with the sale. my buddy who is a GSM at a local Audi dealer here took a 2007 RS4 on trade for 42K with only 20K on the clock. Ridiculous how fast these high end cars depreciate or how buried people get themselves.

and your car is beautiful.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
The problem with the RS4 is that it cost $75 k. Audi should have priced the $50-$55K.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:33 PM

Not trying to get off topic, this isn't a discussion about the price or depreciation of my vehicle.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 09-01-2008, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
the engines are fine on the e55's, the problems are the suspension and really thats about the only thing.
I wouldn't worry about having to rebuild the engine or anything like that, just make sure you have the warranty for the suspension or electrical problems (cause who knows, your nav may stop working).
The warranty claim wouldn't be denied for suspension/electrical if you had pulley etc done to it, since its unrelated.

Suspension is really the only problem
Old 09-01-2008, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
sound 8

I think your language is disgusting.
And you must be stupid if you think you'll get warranty on a heavily modified
car. You should ask for a gaurantee from the people tuning your car.
Your remarks are racist.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by sound 8
Your remarks are racist.
Did I miss something??????

Trending Topics

Old 09-01-2008, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by evilb
Not trying to get off topic, this isn't a discussion about the price or depreciation of my vehicle.

Thanks,
Brad
Sorry about that, I was commenting on baldmike's response. Good luck with the sale they are fun cars to drive.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
Did I miss something??????
Who ever would have thought a "Somalian *****" reference would elicit such anger.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Rock
Who ever would have thought a "Somalian *****" reference would elicit such anger.
O I C
Old 09-01-2008, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
sound 8

The reference to Somalian is bad enough, and ***** implies that your going to catch something!! not true

I had one in the back of the 600 last week, she was great!!

Last edited by sound 8; 09-01-2008 at 02:54 PM. Reason: miss spell
Old 09-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
O I C
I had to look that up: http://www.internetslang.com/default.asp?i=O

I'm showing my age. GIYF

BBIAB,

Rock
Old 09-01-2008, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
The reference to Somalian is bad enough, and ***** implies that your going to catch something!! not true

I had one in the back of the 600 last week, she was great!!
Fantasmic!
Old 09-01-2008, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
1. Who offers quality engine rebuilds, and how much? I plan to immediately pulley/chip this car, followed by headers and the other string of sequential mods. I want to be prepared for the worst, should it happen.
I've been where you don't want to be, where my short block had to be repaired for cylinder damage and valve replacement. One of the board members here handled my rebuild. He is thoroughly knowledgeable with regard to our engines. If he isn't available I'm sure he could possibly send you in the right direction.

PS. MB was going to do me a "favor" and get a used short block for $16-17K...no inflated labor charges included. Thanks a lot MB...I spent on my rebuild about 1/3 of what I would have spent if I let MB do it.

2. Virtually everyone on this forum says something similar to "Buying an AMG car without a warranty is like having unprotected sex with a Somalian *****" (I think this is a direct quote ). Are these cars realy that unreliable? I won't buy one without either a factory warranty, or an aftermarket warranty... BUT, having pulley/ecu mods, I'm concerned that my claims will be denied. This it typical amongst most owners, I assume.
If you don't mod...get the MB CPO. If you even think of modding...then go with a third party extended warranty. You would have an easier time sliding by them than going through MB...it's not a guarantee but your chances are better.

I had my car for 3 years before I had engine trouble and it was very reliable. MB still did not definitively find the cause of my short block damage...instead blaming it on my mods...which I still disagree with.

PS. Just make sure all recall notices have been completed by MB before you take possession of the car. You can always check by taking the VIN# and calling your local MB SA.

3. IF I were to purchase a car without a warranty, and did not get my car serviced at MB (local performance shop 2 miles from me), are estimated time and work involved for repairs considerably more than cars like Audi, Porsche, etc.?
I would say comparable. Our engines aren't very sophisticated like say the E63 engine. I would not get any non-warranty work done at MB. It's a damn profit center I don't want to contribute toward. I get the same service at a lower cost with comparable quality workmanship (sometimes better) from an independent MB trained ASE certified shop. Not only are there (MB's) labor rates high, but the way they quote a job is ridiculous.

Luckily, there are 2 in my area that were previously MB techs that could handle run of the mill repair (electrical or maintenance issues...Service A/B/C/D/E/F). I always go back to the performance shop that installed my mods to handle anything engine, transmission, suspension related.

4. 2005 seemed to get some nice upgrades over the 2004 models, so I have eliminated 03/04 from my searches. Good move, or unnecessary? Curious on a difference in "feel" from the suspension component and steering rack upgrades in 05.
I'd shoot for the latest model you can afford. I think the 2006 MY would be your best bet, but 2005 MY with low miles is attractive too.

I can't speak to the suspension and steering upgrades (mines and 04), but I'm sure another board member will chime in...

Good luck!!!!

Last edited by AMGfan; 09-01-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
Originally Posted by evilb

Thanks,
Brad
apologies - again good luck with the sale. love the rs4 too bad all our cars are depreciating faster than ever lately.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
The problem with the RS4 is that it cost $75 k. Audi should have priced the $50-$55K.
+1 The RS4 is way over priced for the performance it offers.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Rock
I had to look that up: http://www.internetslang.com/default.asp?i=O

I'm showing my age. GIYF

BBIAB,

Rock
Old 09-02-2008, 11:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Black C63 Eurocharged V5
Having also come over from Audi`s.......I have no idea what these guys are talking about. Stg1,2,3 cars seem pretty indestructable. We dont have many of the common problems that plague other high hp cars.

Our trannies are good to 700lbs/ft
I havent seem any broken axles even with guys launching on NOS
Engines run very rich from the factory and have a myriad of shutdown features to prevent damage. Put in good gas and keep the temps down and these engines are rocks.

the only REAL sore spots on these cars that i can think of are..

1-Cooling needs upgrade--either pump and/or HE
2-The SC pulley may need to be replaced every 2-3 yrs cause it "chirps" and engages suddenly.
3-Air suspension is prone to problems and expensive to fix

Electronic stuff can fail on any model mercedes that has it. There are alot of luxury features. Most of the features have been around since 1998--10 yrs----without too many problems. I mean; its not like Command goes on 50% of these cars.

My audi would brake something every 2 weeks. and not only mine. Most Audi guys would say; once you replace $8,000 worth of stuff---the car is good for 4 years...lol...now that is a joke..
Old 09-02-2008, 05:38 PM

Your remarks are racist.
Not my language. Direct quote from another post on this forum, which is why it's referenced as a "direct quote." You obviously missed that part.

B
Old 09-02-2008, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
+1 The RS4 is way over priced for the performance it offers.
Nice, thoughtful response. Need I remind you that the E55's nicely equipped stickered $90-$110,000, and now 3 years later I can buy a 2005 for $45k.

Not sure why you even posted your response, as it was completely useless for this thread. But thanks!

Warmest regards,
Brad

Last edited by evilb; 09-02-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by AMGfan
I've been where you don't want to be, where my short block had to be repaired for cylinder damage and valve replacement. One of the board members here handled my rebuild. He is thoroughly knowledgeable with regard to our engines. If he isn't available I'm sure he could possibly send you in the right direction.

PS. MB was going to do me a "favor" and get a used short block for $16-17K...no inflated labor charges included. Thanks a lot MB...I spent on my rebuild about 1/3 of what I would have spent if I let MB do it.
So you're saying your engine rebuild was only 1/3 of $16k? If so, thats a hell of a deal. I spent $10k on a damn 32V modular Mustang engine rebuild!

If you don't mod...get the MB CPO. If you even think of modding...then go with a third party extended warranty. You would have an easier time sliding by them than going through MB...it's not a guarantee but your chances are better.

I had my car for 3 years before I had engine trouble and it was very reliable. MB still did not definitively find the cause of my short block damage...instead blaming it on my mods...which I still disagree with.

PS. Just make sure all recall notices have been completed by MB before you take possession of the car. You can always check by taking the VIN# and calling your local MB SA.
I appreciate the info. I was assuming that the Benz dealer, especially the one here in Wilmington, wouldn't be too mod-friendly.

I'll do some searches on here and look for the recalls/TSB's.

I would say comparable. Our engines aren't very sophisticated like say the E63 engine. I would not get any non-warranty work done at MB. It's a damn profit center I don't want to contribute toward. I get the same service at a lower cost with comparable quality workmanship (sometimes better) from an independent MB trained ASE certified shop. Not only are there (MB's) labor rates high, but the way they quote a job is ridiculous.
Most dealerships are like that

I'd shoot for the latest model you can afford. I think the 2006 MY would be your best bet, but 2005 MY with low miles is attractive too.

I can't speak to the suspension and steering upgrades (mines and 04), but I'm sure another board member will chime in...

Good luck!!!!

Thank you sir. I'll keep checking to see if anyone can comment on the steering and suspension, and if it really makes any difference in the feel of the car. It could broaden my searches if there is a negligible difference in performance. I'm not headset on an 05 or 06 if that's the case.

Many thanks!
Brad
Old 09-02-2008, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
So you're saying your engine rebuild was only 1/3 of $16k? If so, thats a hell of a deal. I spent $10k on a damn 32V modular Mustang engine rebuild!
I wish (around $8K) but it was still easier to swallow than the total bill if I went to MB...The short block they were quoting me was $16-17K WITHOUT their labor charges. I can only cringe at the labor charges they were going to charge me...I was figuring another $5-6K in labor (which is just a guess).
Old 09-02-2008, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by HYEPWR
Having also come over from Audi`s.......I have no idea what these guys are talking about. Stg1,2,3 cars seem pretty indestructable. We dont have many of the common problems that plague other high hp cars.

Our trannies are good to 700lbs/ft
I havent seem any broken axles even with guys launching on NOS
Engines run very rich from the factory and have a myriad of shutdown features to prevent damage. Put in good gas and keep the temps down and these engines are rocks.

the only REAL sore spots on these cars that i can think of are..

1-Cooling needs upgrade--either pump and/or HE
2-The SC pulley may need to be replaced every 2-3 yrs cause it "chirps" and engages suddenly.
3-Air suspension is prone to problems and expensive to fix

Electronic stuff can fail on any model mercedes that has it. There are alot of luxury features. Most of the features have been around since 1998--10 yrs----without too many problems. I mean; its not like Command goes on 50% of these cars.

My audi would brake something every 2 weeks. and not only mine. Most Audi guys would say; once you replace $8,000 worth of stuff---the car is good for 4 years...lol...now that is a joke..

My Stage 2+ B5 S4 was like that. I had so many things breaking (60,000+ miles) that I was spending at least $1000/mo on parts and labor to fix it. Needless to say it dissapeared, and I upgraded.

That's good to know about the transmission. I hadn't read anything on here about tranny failures, either, so thats one less thing to worry about (hopefully).

It sounds like with something like a VRP intercooler upgrade and phenolic spacer, the cooling issues could be toned down a bit. Regarding the air suspension... is that the only option, to fix it? I'll confess I haven't looked at all, but I'm assuming there coilover options available as a replacement to the air suspension?

Thanks for the responses.
Brad
Old 09-02-2008, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 Black on Black
Get a life!

Your remarks are racist.
If the remarks are Racist then don't read them or stay off the forum. No one else took anything as racist here so just chill out!
Old 09-02-2008, 11:29 PM

'08 C63 Blk/Blk,'07 CLS63 (sold),'05 E55 Blk/Blk 20" Brabus S (sold),'04 E55 silver/Blk
Your remarks are racist.
speaking of STUPID,next time use spell check

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: From RS4 to E55