Sponsored by:

IM Gasket Leak???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i
IM Gasket Leak???

In an effort to solve some of the issues that I have had with my vehicle, and with the dealer being little help, I set out to do some of my own diagnostics and I think that I found something, but wanted other opinions as to my findings.

In an effort to solve the "ticking" sound out of my 63, I did a search and found that there are more people who have this issue other than me. I also read somewhere along the line that there was a situation with a gasket leak, so I set out to see if I had the issue of a leak. I got some carb cleaner and started to spray around the intake side with nothing showing up. Then I went to the front, where there was ab effect on the engine, meaning rough idle, which means to me that some of the carb cleaner is getting into the engine. I am not throwing out any codes, but I wonder why the engine was running rough when I sprayed the cleaner and smoothed out when I didn't spray. However, if there was a leak, wouldn't it throw out a cel??

Also could this in someway, cause an engine hesitation????
Old 08-31-2008, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt
In an effort to solve some of the issues that I have had with my vehicle, and with the dealer being little help, I set out to do some of my own diagnostics and I think that I found something, but wanted other opinions as to my findings.

In an effort to solve the "ticking" sound out of my 63, I did a search and found that there are more people who have this issue other than me. I also read somewhere along the line that there was a situation with a gasket leak, so I set out to see if I had the issue of a leak. I got some carb cleaner and started to spray around the intake side with nothing showing up. Then I went to the front, where there was ab effect on the engine, meaning rough idle, which means to me that some of the carb cleaner is getting into the engine. I am not throwing out any codes, but I wonder why the engine was running rough when I sprayed the cleaner and smoothed out when I didn't spray. However, if there was a leak, wouldn't it throw out a cel?

Also could this in someway, cause an engine hesitation????
Walt,
Sounds like a vacuum leak to me, and that could be your hesitation problem too. I say good for you I hope after all this time you have found the problem the MB techs could not.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Walt,
Sounds like a vacuum leak to me, and that could be your hesitation problem too. I say good for you I hope after all this time you have found the problem the MB techs could not.
I sure hope that you are right....the only thing that bothers me is that if it is a vacuum leak , wouldn't it throw out a cel?? However, on the other hand, I can't explain the reason why the change in rpm when I do spray around the gasket area!

Last edited by buckeyewalt; 09-01-2008 at 12:22 AM.