Sponsored by:

European laws re: navi placement/front end height

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Question European laws re: navi placement/front end height

I remember reading about recent laws imposed on european auto manufacturers regarding:

(1) Navigations units being mounted at or near the top of the dashboard, and

(2) the front end of autos needing to be higher (i.e. the hood is required to be at a certain height, IIRC).

Can anyone confirm or deny either?

Particularly number 2. I fully understand the justification for 1, but I'm not sure I understand the policy behind number 2.

TIA.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:02 PM

2006 E55AMG
I can neither confirm nor deny either, however, w/ regard to #2, I think it may be collision/safety related. I recall hearing something about making the front ends higher to keep them from, for example, sliding underneath the bumpers of autos like SUVs w/ bumpers that are much higher. I think the goal is to try to reduce the likelihood/severity of injury by having more of a bumper-to-bumper impact, rather than, in effect, a bumper-to-windshield impact. Further, it may also have something to do w/ helping when pedestrians are hit. I remember seeing something about how -- I think it was Volvo -- had designed front ends/hoods that were at a certain height/of a certain "shape"/angle that significantly reduced injuries by allowing the person hit to take less of an impact and "roll" onto/over the hood somewhat, as opposed to just getting severely smashed straight on and possibly thrown into more danger (e.g., path of other moving cars). I think I saw that story on Volvo on Motorweek a few years ago -- love that show.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
The 'new' pedestrian head injury prevention standards require a minimum distance between the very solid engine block and the hood to allow more hood 'give' and reduce HI scores. Some manufacturers have gone with hood airbag type devices which raise the hood (at the rear) on impact.