W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update: MHP ECU/TCU Tuning (Throttle Blipping, etc, DONE!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Rock,
Like Ron White says,
Ya can't fix stupid.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
I've been there many times, they have inhouse cad/cam designers and a full machine shop where they produce parts in house, I have personally seem them making headers and other parts in the shop..... If you saw what kind of equipment and setups they have, you would have a very hard time pulling your foot out of your mouth....

Not sure what having cars in magazines has to do with anything, but yes, I've had a car in superstreet, turbo magazine, and some others... who cares!

Originally Posted by JT55
Okay - so what is the EXACT % of parts they put their name on?
Do they make their own brakes? Wheels? Airboxes, or are they sourced?
Are they custom fabricating their own headers and exhausts?
If they are - as easily as I say their not u should be able to provide proof that they are. So lets see it.

Just because somebody has purchased Renntech products (a la the last post) doesn't mean that he has knowledge of the inner workings of the company or their research and devolpment does it? He bought into the notion and mystique of Renntech and therefore is now no longer an impartial judge. Especially after dropping a lung.

Oh and BTW - I have used practically every tuner - on many of my project cars and I have praise for nearly all of them. I had a Kleemann SC on my last car and their tune and LM and I have NOTHING but the highest praise for them . I've used Lorinser and Carlsson and Brabus as well. And every one of them was excellent.

Last edited by Fikse; 09-15-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 BS AUDI S5 AUDI Q7 4.2 SLine C230 Sport 2010 ML 350
Originally Posted by Fikse
I've been there many times, they have inhouse cad/cam designers and a full machine shop where they produce parts in house, I have personally seem them making headers and other parts in the shop..... If you saw what kind of equipment and setups they have, you would have a very hard time pulling your foot out of your mouth....

Not sure what having cars in magazines has to do with anything, but yes, I've had a car in superstreet, turbo magazine, and some others... who cares!
I officially apologize to any and all Renntech fans I may have offended.
I'm obviously wrong and man enough to admit it.
Renntech is prob. the only tuner I've never used.
Being someone who is very hands on with their projects I always picked and choosed from different tuners. When comparing products I never felt Renntechs products where that much better than any of the other tuners to justify the premium price. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - I'm sure Renntech is great thanks.

As far as me - I think putting together my own cars based on my knowledge and vision and then being recognized for it (all unsolicited) qualifies me for something. I'll also tell you who cares - you do, because if you didn't you wouldn't have needed to post that your car has been in magazines. And please please dont tell me you didn't feel some sort of pride when you saw your work in a National Magazine. - thats who cares.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:21 AM

junk
can we get some friggin numbers already???
Old 09-15-2008, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by dc63er
Here have some...lol!
Old 09-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by dc63er
Are you serious?
Old 09-15-2008, 10:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Black C63 Eurocharged V5
RESPECT for being man enough to admit you're wrong.

Now lets get back to topic.

I too am a little dismayed at the price. $6000 is the price for a Motec M800 + harness + a full days worth of tuning by a top tuner.

From what Ive noticed--most E55 owners are migrated from other high HP cars (Supra's, Stg3 S4's, P-cars). We have modded cars in the past. Most seem willing to pay for Performance; including myself---but this price seems a bit exorbitant.

if a pulley,ecu gets me to 465whp for $2300
and pulley,ecu, 80mm Tb,exhaust gets 500rwhp for $2700
Thats ~$5000 for 500rwhp(or 11.6's) on an E55

If the Ecu/TCU upgrade gets you 500rwhp(or 11.6's) plus u get matched throttle downshifts and drivability---that definately maybe worth the extra $1000.

just my veiw.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by HYEPWR

LOL, man enough to admit? Or just been around long enough to understand RennTech has had enough of the uneducated bashing?

It Does.
It Does.
Correct. It has been done.

If the Ecu/TCU upgrade gets you 500rwhp(or 11.6's) plus u get matched throttle downshifts and drivability---that definately maybe worth the extra $1000.
I had a frog once that only wondered "what IF I had wings?" Other birds with wings get pigeon tang, does that mean my frog could have too, IF?
Old 09-15-2008, 11:02 AM

junk
Originally Posted by jangy
Are you serious?
Yes. Why do you say that? Am I missing something?
Old 09-15-2008, 11:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Black C63 Eurocharged V5
I had a frog once that only wondered "what IF I had wings?" Other birds with wings get pigeon tang, does that mean my frog could have too, IF?

that was my point Jangy.

500rwhp or 11.6's is the target MHP has to reach to make to make their product "make sense" to modders like myself.

I sincerely hope they do it. If an otherwise stock E55 can get to 11.6's....that means pullied/TB/exh/drag radials E55's might get to high 10's at 128mph----which is perfection for a street car with 4 doors and luxury.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:00 PM

Jangy - U sure you want to do this with me Bro? Posting 10k x's hardly qualifies you for anything but being one post away from riding the short bus (judging by ur last incoherent nonsense) Oh and Moments (from your last retard post) is spelled with one M not two jackass.
I already apologized and asked to move on.
As far as true colors - I believe JR Cart called you out and basically said anytime any place and you already backed down once - so you have ZERO credibility. Heavy Hitters huh - whats their circulaton 100?

Here is my last statement. My car will hopefully be done in about 4 weeks. When it is - it will speak for itself. I won't have to say anything else.
You're all right I don't really have anything to post about because I haven't had my car for about 5 1/2 mos. Instead of posting endless BS about nothing and what I'm gonna do , I figured I would just wait until it was done.
I really wanted most of the things I'm doing to be a surprise and at this point with the project being delayed and delayed I'm glad I never started posting about a car I don't even have in my posession.

AS far as this whole MHP thing goes - I was merely trying to point out the hard time everyone here has given Andy for no apparent reason and the fact that once his results are posted everyone will back off and become (reluctant) customers. Nothing more nothing less. We should all welcome the fact that another decent tuner has entered the fray which can do nothing but benefit us.

Last edited by JT55; 09-15-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Here is my concern with regards to Andy's pricing.

Currently, I have a VRP set up with a pulley, ECU tune and filters. I dyno'd at 468RWHP and 510RWTQ. If I'm not mistaken, for me to take advantage of MHP's ECU/TCU, I'd have to pony up $6K to optimize my ECU, and unlock some power and driveability (read: no adaptive crap!) from the TCU. If MHP's ECU tune in conjunction with the TCU only nets me say, 30RWHP (I know, we don't know real numbers yet), I'm paying quite a bit for a relatively small gain in HP and and having the TCU tuned.

Now, in the grand scheme of things, I'm not sure how it fits in since at some point I'll be getting headers, 80mm throttle body, whatever. But for me personally, I'd be starting at X to get to X.5, and that seems to come with a hefty price tag.

Of course, I refrain from final judgment once Andy has the numbers. This is all conjecture, but it is all we've really got at this point.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:39 PM

GT-R
Originally Posted by HYEPWR

Now lets get back to topic.

I too am a little dismayed at the price. $6000 is the price for a Motec M800 + harness + a full days worth of tuning by a top tuner.

From what Ive noticed--most E55 owners are migrated from other high HP cars (Supra's, Stg3 S4's, P-cars). We have modded cars in the past. Most seem willing to pay for Performance; including myself---but this price seems a bit exorbitant.

just my veiw.
I agree 100%. There is obvious some price gouging going on here because I'm sure the similar ECU/TCU tune for the SRT's wouldn't even be half that. Even if you could get me 50rwhp just by the tune for $6k, it wouldn't be worth it in my opinion.

VRP's pulley and ecu tune nets around 450rwhp. That's only for $2200.00. Hell, Renntech only charges around $4500 for the pulley and tune and also nets around the same number.

I'm not trying to insitigate, but am just rather curious as to how arrived at your prices.

Respectfully,

Maaz
(P.S. Andy - I've heard good things about you from the SRT guys. By way of reference, I was the guy that sued (and won) Marty for blowing up my jeep a few years back. Marty = scum)
Old 09-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Jangy - U sure you want to do this with me Bro?
No.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
...jackass....
Here is my last statement... I won't have to say anything else...Instead of posting endless BS about nothing and what I'm gonna do , I figured I would just wait until it was done.

We'll hold you to that
The issues with Andy were both personal and professional. I was on both. His company was never the issue. We should (I at least) have taken the personal to another half way house but the technical part is under open and cool discussion.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL65
So, what is the price if you need to reflash for more upgrades. Say we already have your ECU/TCU upgrade and then we add a throttle body and headers. Will we need to have both ECU and TCU reflashed and whats it cost the second or third time around?
Old 09-15-2008, 02:33 PM

No.
Oh phew thank god - I was growing tired of this whole thing.
I'm sorry I ever said anything.
Looking forward to showing my work - if and when it ever gets completed
Old 09-15-2008, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
Here is my concern with regards to Andy's pricing.

Currently, I have a VRP set up with a pulley, ECU tune and filters. I dyno'd at 468RWHP and 510RWTQ. If I'm not mistaken, for me to take advantage of MHP's ECU/TCU, I'd have to pony up $6K to optimize my ECU, and unlock some power and driveability (read: no adaptive crap!) from the TCU. If MHP's ECU tune in conjunction with the TCU only nets me say, 30RWHP (I know, we don't know real numbers yet), I'm paying quite a bit for a relatively small gain in HP and and having the TCU tuned.

Now, in the grand scheme of things, I'm not sure how it fits in since at some point I'll be getting headers, 80mm throttle body, whatever. But for me personally, I'd be starting at X to get to X.5, and that seems to come with a hefty price tag.

Of course, I refrain from final judgment once Andy has the numbers. This is all conjecture, but it is all we've really got at this point.
Honestly I dont think it makes sense for anyone with a tuned car to do the ECU re-flash. These cars have proven to be pretty tricky and this guy is new to the game and has little to no experience with the cars. Kleemann, an established company with a few pretty skilled people working there, had some issues getting ecu flashing to work post air pump re-flash. If your car is working well I would leave it alone. I was also scared to read that he wants to start leaning out these mixture on the E55's. I know of 2-3 Kleemann cars the blew apart pistons from running to lean. I think there is a learning curve here and I dont want to see people start having issues with a new tuner. These motors are pretty $$$ to replace. I dont see RENNtech and Kleemann leaving 30 hp on the table through ECU tuning alone. This seems like a too good to be true story. Its timing and fuel mixture. How much can you change those items and see that 30 hp gain?

His pricing went up a whole bunch and he now requires you to do it all together. Sure get the TCU upgrade but this ECU bit seems like over kill. I did not read that it removes the adaptation process but that it makes it quicker? IS that what you read as well?

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 09-15-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Andy

Andy,
How much HP can I expect expect from your ECU/TCU combo? I have a pretty strong 65 to begin with..
Old 09-15-2008, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by waxking1
So, what is the price if you need to reflash for more upgrades. Say we already have your ECU/TCU upgrade and then we add a throttle body and headers. Will we need to have both ECU and TCU reflashed and whats it cost the second or third time around?
Good question. I have a similar one as well.....

Andy, say we get the ECU/TCU combo on a stock car. Then a few months later, the dealer blindly flashes the ECU with an update from the factory? How much would you charge to re-flash my file back? Some tuners re-flash for free while others charge a small amount. What do you guys do in this situation?
Old 09-15-2008, 04:00 PM

Ford 4x4, daily
Originally Posted by MHP
E/SL/S/CLS55: $6000.00, Full Stage I (+Filters, Thermalnators): $6250.00 shipped.
the tune on the 55's, does this include a pulley for increased boost with your tune? if so how much more boost is your tune running over stock boost?
Old 09-15-2008, 04:56 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by waxking1
Free reflashing for future mods is included in the price.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:56 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Good question. I have a similar one as well.....

Andy, say we get the ECU/TCU combo on a stock car. Then a few months later, the dealer blindly flashes the ECU with an update from the factory? How much would you charge to re-flash my file back? Some tuners re-flash for free while others charge a small amount. What do you guys do in this situation?
Reflash you for free.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:59 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Honestly I dont think it makes sense for anyone with a tuned car to do the ECU re-flash. These cars have proven to be pretty tricky and this guy is new to the game and has little to no experience with the cars. Kleemann, an established company with a few pretty skilled people working there, had some issues getting ecu flashing to work post air pump re-flash. If your car is working well I would leave it alone. I was also scared to read that he wants to start leaning out these mixture on the E55's. I know of 2-3 Kleemann cars the blew apart pistons from running to lean. I think there is a learning curve here and I dont want to see people start having issues with a new tuner. These motors are pretty $$$ to replace. I dont see RENNtech and Kleemann leaving 30 hp on the table through ECU tuning alone. This seems like a too good to be true story. Its timing and fuel mixture. How much can you change those items and see that 30 hp gain?

His pricing went up a whole bunch and he now requires you to do it all together. Sure get the TCU upgrade but this ECU bit seems like over kill. I did not read that it removes the adaptation process but that it makes it quicker? IS that what you read as well?
Once again, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and are simply posting blatant misinformation. Tell me again how the 63s TB only opens 80% at WOT...

We've been tuning all makes of cars (from Bentleys, to Paul Newman's racing Porsche's, to Ford GTs, etc) for years.

Let me ask you how many Renntech, Kleeman, or Powerchips tunes you've seen--as in actually read over? Do you know how to read and analyze tuning code in real time? Manipulate it? How the hell can you comment that our ECU tuning is "overkill" when you don't know the first thing about it? Unreal...

If you had even a semblance of a clue you'd realize the tq management alone is worth + 30hp and tq in a ECU/TCU. If you can't grasp that simple reality then the idea of a ECU working together with a TCU to produce even better results must just be a fairytale.

Finally when I referenced leaning out a Kleeman E55 tune, it was due to the fact a customer had contacted me and told me that after 5 (FIVE) revisions from Kleeman he was running 9.9:1 A/F. Are you trying to tell me that's safe?

Please stop taking everything I post out of context and refrain from commenting on things which you obviously know nothing about.

Thanks
Andy

Last edited by MHP; 09-15-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:06 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by V12Godspeed
Andy,
How much HP can I expect expect from your ECU/TCU combo? I have a pretty strong 65 to begin with..
Please send me a PM, email or call me to further discuss gains for your exact application.

Thanks
Andy
614 940 9523
andrew@modernhorsepower.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Update: MHP ECU/TCU Tuning (Throttle Blipping, etc, DONE!)