Sponsored by:

Car not staying lowered after STAR drop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Car not staying lowered after STAR drop

Everytime I lower the car once I start it up it goes back to stock ride height. Anyone know why this might be happening?
Old 09-13-2008, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Think I remember that means it was not done properly and needs to be done again.

Not sure how to fix that though.

Sorry she didn't work for ya.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:56 PM

2007 S550 (S65 Package)
i had the same exact problem with my 03 E500, but for my cousins it worked fine. but another family member that has a E500,his didnt work either. im not sure what the heck the problem is, but the way i solved it was by buying the lowering links off of www.adjustableairride.com
Old 09-15-2008, 12:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
W220 V12TT Land Yacht / W211 E55 Estate
with all the guys on this forum with cars lowered via star, i cant believe nobody has responded with some good info. Nobody knows how to have the computer save the settings once the car is lowered? Is there a certain sequence that needs to be followed using the key to save the setting, possibly? I was also thinking about having this done.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
sorry cant help....I bought an ELM instead....
Old 09-15-2008, 12:54 AM

thats a nice way to blow 1300 bucks which unit did you go with? Renntech?
Old 09-15-2008, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by m3j0n
thats a nice way to blow 1300 bucks which unit did you go with? Renntech?
Yes bought it from Renntech, but at the time since I bought some other goodies I got mine for under 900...got V1...didnt want V2 since the E only has 3 sensors and could care less about remote since I installed it under cup holder
Old 09-16-2008, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
i cant believe nobody has responded with some good info.
It's just part of the modding hell we are all in bro. Unless someone has SEEN a tuner lower it with Star and actually remembers the process, we are all guessing at how it's really done right.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by hamann69
Everytime I lower the car once I start it up it goes back to stock ride height. Anyone know why this might be happening?
Sounds like it is a operator issue on the lowering as IF you do it correct and save the change there is NOT a problem

BUT if you do NOT know what you are doing well there you go

It Would NOT be fair to post the How to lower a Airmatic Car via the Star as SEVERAL People make a living on doing this ..also a SDS is NOT a cheap tool to own ..
Old 09-16-2008, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by MARK CUMMINS
Sounds like it is a operator issue on the lowering as IF you do it correct and save the change there is NOT a problem

It Would NOT be fair to post the How to lower a Airmatic Car via the Star as SEVERAL People make a living on doing this ..also a SDS is NOT a cheap tool to own ..
I dont own a SDS system and I know how to do it. To say we cant post steps is just counter productive. People making a living off lowering cars with star might want to consider branching out to other business. Competition makes for better business and saying oh no people make a living on this lets not post it is counter productive. People should not look for a niche market that has an extremely easy entry. 5 years ago SDS was impossible to get now you can sneeze and have it at your door in a few days.

I got my lowering done for free because I knew how to do it and I worked with my tech to get it done.

I in fact have a friend with a full MB SDS system (got it recently) and no it is NOT cheap. He wants to lower cars but the reality is that people are not paying much for this anymore. The market for this is quickly vanishing. You can go on craigslist and e-bay and get a full MB SDS for 2500 bucks. Half the people on this forum could go buy one in a second for the fun of it and lower everyones car for free. Honestly I am shocked some of the more wealthy people have not just done that. You can make some nice changes and then also work on your own car. Heck if you know a tech well you could start vin and scn coding and have some serious abilities with your car.

With adjustable lowering modules now around 1k and links for 200 no one will want to pay 500 for it to be done by a computer. It takes about an hour to do. Get to know your tech and give him 100-200 cash and boom your car is lowered.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 09-16-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
It's just part of the modding hell we are all in bro. Unless someone has SEEN a tuner lower it with Star and actually remembers the process, we are all guessing at how it's really done right.
I have done it but I dont have a written list of how to do it. Its one of those things you know how to do when you see the screen. I know the basic process and how you fool the car to sit lower. Get the inclination angles you need to input and you could easliy get it done. I bet the problem here is that the tech does not have the correct inclination angles (provided by mb) and therefore when you save the settings its not sitting correctly.

The process is hit and miss but I should also say its not a straight lowering as the hight you get with sds hooked up is NOT what you get once you unplug and restart the car. It will adjust (my car went down some go up) so you need to learn the correlation between what you want and what height you have to set the car at with sds to get to a nice level when unplugged.

Its quite an easy process just very time consuming. Took for ever to get it right honestly. In the end I dont like the car lowered and I sold it anyhow! Our roads really dont allow for lowering sicne it just ends up a bouncing bottoming out mess (and i lowered it less than an inch!).
Old 09-18-2008, 01:35 AM

wow, i dont want to call you a dirty name for fear of timeout, but what the hell... isnt this what the forum is all about? when someone asks for a tip about changing oil, or replacing a bulb, or troubleshooting some issue, is the correct response "it would not be fair to help you because there are mechanics out there that make a living off of this."

seriously, your post was 100% utterly useless and 110% unnecessary. Thanks for the help, big guy.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

wow, i dont want to call you a dirty name for fear of timeout, but what the hell... isnt this what the forum is all about? when someone asks for a tip about changing oil, or replacing a bulb, or troubleshooting some issue, is the correct response "it would not be fair to help you because there are mechanics out there that make a living off of this."

seriously, your post was 100% utterly useless and 110% unnecessary. Thanks for the help, big guy.

Well I Think YOU should buy a SDS and then LEARN how to use it then help out every one ..Then we will have you lower and version code all of our cars..for FREE

IF YOU would do a search on my Posts Here on this forum I DO HELP out with lots of Info for FREE

The Shops charge money as They have to buy the SDS and have to maintain it Oh and have Overhead

Im Sure the dealer does NOT know that he is doing this as thats Stealing from them (The Dealer) ..Using the SDS for free.. as Im Sure this tech does NOT Own his Own SDS
Old 09-18-2008, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well I Think YOU should buy a SDS and then LEARN how to use it then help out every one ..Then we will have you lower and version code all of our cars..for FREE

IF YOU would do a search on my Posts Here on this forum I DO HELP out with lots of Info for FREE

The Shops charge money as They have to buy the SDS and have to maintain it Oh and have Overhead

Im Sure the dealer does NOT know that he is doing this as thats Stealing from them (The Dealer) ..Using the SDS for free.. as Im Sure this tech does NOT Own his Own SDS
+1
Old 09-18-2008, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Blue_Monster
+1

WOW... you guys must be misunderstanding.... WE ARE PAYING A SHOP/TECH TO DO THE JOB!!! What dont you understand about that?

thanks for totally going off on totally different tangent and not being helpful.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:30 PM

nascar
anyone know a place to do star drops in socal?

thanks
Old 09-19-2008, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several Shops in So Cal where are you located?
Old 09-19-2008, 12:31 AM

Several Shops in So Cal where are you located?
No... dont tell him where to go!!... the yellow pages makes money off of that information... if you provide him with that information, youre basically stealing from the yellow pages and all the hard work they have put into their business....
Old 09-19-2008, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No... dont tell him where to go!!... the yellow pages makes money off of that information... if you provide him with that information, youre basically stealing from the yellow pages and all the hard work they have put into their business....

But at least we know how to do it
Old 09-19-2008, 11:46 PM

you are a total ASSet to this community.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:03 PM

CLS55

Most of Cummings' posts lead back to MBENZNL and are all subtle advertisments for him, including this attempt. Nice guys, but it is what it is (business).
Old 09-20-2008, 03:57 PM

If you using SDS you have to put in inclanation angle values right. or it wont calibrate and the car will go back to its stock hight.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by aramcho666
If you using SDS you have to put in inclanation angle values right. or it wont calibrate and the car will go back to its stock hight.
thank you. where would I go to research the inclanation values?
Old 09-21-2008, 08:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
I tried using my SDS as well but the setting returned to stock like yours. I ended up having my indy do it since they had the inclinometer and some very nice Hunter alignment racks. See the attached for more info.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Inclinometer.pdf (112.0 KB, 1726 views)
Old 09-22-2008, 12:55 PM

Brian, youre the man. Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car not staying lowered after STAR drop