SBC[H] starts working after brake pad replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
SBC[H] starts working after brake pad replacement

So, the dealership replaces the pads with EBC red pads that I bought and now all of a sudden this SBC[H] comes on in my diplay. Futhermore, if you try to put the car in park and turn off the car you get a huge red screen telling you the car is in park. Try to get out of the car and it starts honking softly to tell you something is wrong.

So, I've had the car for approximately 15K miles (had 40k on it when I bought it) and after this brake pad replacemnt job all of a sudden this new cool feature is alive! Thanks to the wonderful people on this board, I found out this is not a problem but a cool feature of the car to HOLD the car in place at stop lights.

What is confusing is why it did not work before the brake job and now it does.

Anyway, I guess it is working as designed and now I have to make sure to disengage the SBC HOLD before turning the car off.

On a side note, the EBC red pads work well other than some screeching at very light pressures coming to a slow stop...but I hope it goes away after some brake in (no pun intended).

Comments?
Old 09-24-2008, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT-R
Not sure I understand you completely. My car has the same screen pop up when I try to turn the engine off when in drive. The person who installed your sensors may have knocked a sensor into place or something.

My bro just put on the EBC red stuff on his SRT and is very pleased with them. As good, if not better, stopping power compared to the brembo pads but significantly less brake dust. I'm sure you'll notice the same results. I plan on going with the EBC red stuff when it comes time to change my pads as well.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Im confused. Why would it give you a warning when you put it in park? So it does this everytime you turn off the car? That would be annoying.

I would be yelling at my car. "Yes thank you, I know its in park, thats why I put it there and turned the car off"

how do you get the car to hold at stoplights??
Old 09-25-2008, 06:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by psk145
Im confused. Why would it give you a warning when you put it in park? So it does this everytime you turn off the car? That would be annoying.

I would be yelling at my car. "Yes thank you, I know its in park, thats why I put it there and turned the car off"

how do you get the car to hold at stoplights??
Apparently they stopped the SBC brakes after 2005, so your 2006 does not have this I guess.

If I come to a stop and depress the brake hard enough, the SBC[H] appears in the display area (speedo area). This HOLDs my car in place without having to have the brake pedal depressed. I guess a feature designed for real stop and go traffic.

If this SBC[H] is engaged and you put the car in park and hit the off button to turn the car off it tells you in big red freakout lettering that the car is in park. You then have to depress the brake to get it out of this SBC[H] mode.

So basically you cannot turn the car off while in this SBC hold mode.

Hope that makes more sense.

It was annoying until I figured out what this was...so now I just make sure it is not in this mode when I turn the car off.