W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering module problem! Can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG; 2006 Infiniti FX45;
Exclamation Lowering module problem! Can anyone help?

I got the Renntech module installed last week by my custom boutique shop. Somehow today, I see that my passenger rear has raised up for some reason. I haven't touch it since I picked it up from the shop. The shop had set it on setting #3 all the way around and sport II, from day one. I haven't touched it at all. For some reason I noticed that particular side higher than the rest of the wheels today. It wasn't that way til today. I haven't hit any potholes or been driving it heavily at all. What seems to be the problem? Can anyone help me solve. Should I just take it back to the shop? I've tried turning off the sport mode, raising the car and putting it back to sport II, but no luck. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
08 E 6point3-sold- 11 caddy cts-v-sold, 2012 E63 Palladium Silver
renn

How much higher is one side? My passenger side is about .25-.5 inch higher most of the time. Mercedes stated that it was in torlenace and didn't fix it.

if it isnt much then you shouldnt worry. The airmatic system constantly adjust depending on surface, wieght etc.

post some pics and we will get a better idea,
Old 09-28-2008, 10:58 PM
dsc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
I have the module. E55s tend to have hieght differences. You can play with each setting of the module to tilt the car to level or a higher rake or what ever you what. That's one of the benefits of it. Each time you adjust the module turn the car off and on then raise and lower the car or drive it a little to get the suspension to settle.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
If the CLS55 is the same as CLS63 then the rear has only one adjustment and no way of setting left or right rear hight. It is maybe that one of the front sides are lower thus raising the rear slightly. Check it out
Old 09-29-2008, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by rarfinancial
If the CLS55 is the same as CLS63 then the rear has only one adjustment and no way of setting left or right rear hight. It is maybe that one of the front sides are lower thus raising the rear slightly. Check it out
It was actually set to setting #3 for all four. It was all flushed up until sometime today. I noticed that only one wheel well raised up to almost it's original height. All the other wheels stayed lowered at the same height as the day I picked it up. I just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this with their module. I'm just going to take it in tomorrow to see what's up. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:25 AM

2007 E63
Mine seems to never stay at a constant height. I think it's just part of having airmatic suspension. Make sure you raise and lower on level ground. Whenever I see mine out of kilter, I'll do a reset (raise and then lower) in my garage which I know is almost perfectly level. That always seems to fix any uneveness.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211 E55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Past 996GT3,ZCPM3,Brabus C32,ML 500
You can have your air ride checked sometimes its off from the factory..
Just mess with it and 3 in the front is too high, set it down a notch at least.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Rick is onto something. If one of the fronts dips more than the other then the rear will get jacked. You mention one wheel raising up. Which is it? If a rear wheel, check the OPPOSITE front wheel. I've had the wire come out of that sensor, causing HOURS of troubleshooting. I've had the sensor arm be flipped when put on, again HOURS of troubleshooting. I've also had the wirirng done as per the manual, which AGAIN leads to HOURS of troubleshooting. Make sure the boutique knew how to install these units because the manual alone is a bit confusing.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Oh yeah, i forgot something. Best way is to ALWAYS use a SDS to calibrate the system first. How well that calibration is done has EVERYTHING to do with how even the car sits. Then, when you lower it the differences between the sides just becomes more noticeable. Mine had about 1/8th inch difference from side to side (fronts) when I got it. After about 5 Star calibrations, it finally sat tucked and nice.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by jangy
Oh yeah, i forgot something. Best way is to ALWAYS use a SDS to calibrate the system first. How well that calibration is done has EVERYTHING to do with how even the car sits. Then, when you lower it the differences between the sides just becomes more noticeable. Mine had about 1/8th inch difference from side to side (fronts) when I got it. After about 5 Star calibrations, it finally sat tucked and nice.
Jangy,
The shop is used to installing these modules. I took it back to the shop and they couldn't find out the problem either. Seems like the passenger rear is off about 1/8 of an inch. They called Renntech and they said it must be a weight distribution problem. They said to raise the diagonal wheel one level higher. That doesn"t sound right to me either.

You suggest doing a calibration using the on-star? What is the step in doing that while the car is lowered. Do I need to turn the module off before? Thanks for the help.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
My guess is that your car is within specs, but not precise enough for your taste (or mine). RennTech is correct on how to troubleshoot it. If you raise the opposite FRONT, it should make that rear corner lower. Try it just to see if that is the issue. That will show that the module works. Then, you can either ride around with each front having a different setting or you can re-calibrate the car. Yes, the module should be turned OFF for that. You need a tech with an SDS. While you are at it, some like to add a little rake or drop using star and then use the module for even lower drops.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by von32897
I took it back to the shop and they couldn't find out the problem either.
As others have said, these things can be tricky. That's why I installed mine myself - to make sure it was installed correctly.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/257269-renntech-lowering-module-install-w-remote-diy-ers.html

I would definitely try a slight raise to the diagonally opposite corner before you let some other tech fumble with the factory height settings. The ability to do good adjustments using SDS seems to be more of an art than a science.