W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Duel I/C pumps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2008 | 08:52 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Duel I/C pumps

Anyone running duel I/C pumps in sequence or one on each side of the h/r? Pushing /pulling effect? Any noteable results if so?

I have the extra H/R between the radiator but still run close to 30 deg over ambient in 85-95 deg. weather. Wondering if more pressure would help flow water through both H/R`s.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 10-10-2008 | 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
30 over is still pretty good for our heat pigs in those temps.

We go round and round about this but half of us say too much flow actually hurts cooling ability as fluid rushes over the HE too quickly.

I have a Johnson 90 and friggin love the thing. My car recovers super fast and with my mods, doesn't go over 140's in warmer weather during repeated hard runs. If that doesn't prove that higher flow 90 pumps don't hurt cooling, not sure what does.

So my answer would be "couldn't hurt", but without higher flow pumps, may not help as much as you would like. Johnson 90 is a pain to install BTW. Gotta rig up a reducer system as the mouth on it is large and it's doesn't fit quite perfect in the original pump location.
Old 10-10-2008 | 10:16 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Exoticmetal55 this is not related to the thread topic, but I just wanted to say hi to a fellow houston member. My car is currently at motorwerks getting repaired. Any local meets going on?
Old 10-10-2008 | 10:21 AM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
I always thought cant they just make Liquid Nitrogen flow through it? At least a diluted amount to keep it really COOL, but not to FREEZE
Old 10-10-2008 | 11:43 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
I have a Johnson 90 and friggin love the thing. My car recovers super fast and with my mods, doesn't go over 140's in warmer weather during repeated hard runs. If that doesn't prove that higher flow 90 pumps don't hurt cooling, not sure what does.
I am sure I have read about all your mods one time or another but do you have the CM90 with a larger H/E and seperate cooling circuit? In warm/hot weather , I still can attain above 140 on a 0-90mph run.. I am getting ready for 1/4 times and want to avoid the 140 IAT, as I can see power go to crapola instantly at 140. No way to make a full 1/4 mile run, unless I wait for 40 deg. ambient (and -2500DA).

Yes, also read all the threads on to much or to little flow. It is a no brainer for me to have more flow or pressure on these modified systems. I can see to much flow at idle or low speed maybe being to fast but most of our heat is made above 50mph. With hurricane force winds going over two, or a larger H/R`,, then a CM90 or maybe duel CM30 should be the ticket.. My recovery time is between 25-35 seconds on a 28-90mph run.

I asked about Duel pumps, as I think Rflow went with the S220 style H/R like Finey installed and was not that happy??? Trying to see if seperating system and two pumps will help before going with a larger lower H/R..

Shardul, Sorry but I am not aware of any MB clubs or groups around. I never see 55`s at the track either but sure some go ..
Old 10-10-2008 | 01:31 PM

03 E55 AMG
Separating the cooling system from the engine circuit is essential and first option IMO. Stage two, add the larger size radiator. Stage three, then add the extra pump.

It's really simple; more cooling area to push through the wind = quicker heat extraction = cooler compressed air temps after the charger.

By By heat soak...

When I first got the car it would shut down the charger after a good run which got me curious as to what was going on under there. I couldn't believe the two water circuits were connected so my first mod was to split the cooling system which solved the problem straight away.

What was MB thinking about here???? GMF'ed

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...9&d=1170687382

Hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2008 | 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
I'm running dual cm30's, but only because of my rear mount h/e and reservoir. I'd imagine it's overkill on a front mount only system.
Old 10-10-2008 | 02:50 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
I will seperate the system first but to be honest, for something that seems so simple, it looks like spagetti to me. I rather re/re the blower. I have read Brian S DIY but still missing something. It seems like more hoses need to be clamped off or re-routed.

I have the w220 system right (lower picture). Picture two is the BMW bottle but still not sure how all the hoses run or clamp off. The water does flow through the bottle right?? I should be able to do this in my sleep but not sure for some reason.. Again, I have read the Brian S DYI several times but can not match up the pics. and lines.

Please Help!
Attached Thumbnails Duel I/C pumps-amg-20sc-20cooling-20system.jpg   Duel I/C pumps-32411097164.jpg  
Old 10-10-2008 | 03:01 PM

2003 CL55 Kompressor Horizon Blue Metallic
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
I will seperate the system first but to be honest, for something that seems so simple, it looks like spagetti to me. I rather re/re the blower. I have read Brian S DIY but still missing something. It seems like more hoses need to be clamped off or re-routed.

I have the w220 system right (lower picture). Picture two is the BMW bottle but still not sure how all the hoses run or clamp off. The water does flow through the bottle right?? I should be able to do this in my sleep but not sure for some reason.. Again, I have read the Brian S DYI several times but can not match up the pics. and lines.

Please Help!
I don't think we have actually the same setup as the W220 per the drawing. I've followed the lines, it is the same in intent but doesn't match the drawing (some of the connectors are different, etc.). Also, I'm 99% certain what we have located as a HE in the same proximity as the IC HE on the E55 actually acts as an oil cooler on the 2003 CL55.
Old 10-10-2008 | 03:52 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
I have changed two I/C pumps put now and my front H/R flows water not oil.. It loops back into the larger H/R just like in the 220 picture.

Below is a shot of radiator and top shot of resevoir lines.. I do not know what to do with the small lines that T off the resevoir. The large line from the bottom the the resevoir also goes into a T and not sure where that would go after takeing the lower T out.
Attached Thumbnails Duel I/C pumps-mvc-009s.jpg   Duel I/C pumps-mvc-010s.jpg  
Old 10-11-2008 | 06:16 PM

E55
There are 2 "T" junctions... the top one should be 3/4" and that is for engine coolant. You can remove top "T" and splice with 3/4" to 3/4" or put a cap on the intercooler side of the "T" which would otherwise run to the lower "T". I simply ran a 5/8" hose from the lower intercooler "T" to my BMW reservoir mounted in the front of the bay. The reservoir then acts as an overflow, much like the engine coolant circuit does.
Old 10-11-2008 | 07:33 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Supre55, thank you. Of course that info leads to a few more questions.

I only seem to have one T.. The hose you see coming off the reservoir is about 10" long and T `s into the I/C line. The other T are the small 3/8" lines that come off the top the reervoir.. Are those small lines just air bleed lines? I assume I need to cap the small air bleed 3/8 lines too?

So is the BMW or other added reservoir`s just used as an expansion tank then? There is no constant water flowing through the BMW tank like a ?
race style intercooler tank..

Has anyone tested the IAT average drop after seperating the circuit this way? It seems our stock circuit really does not mix that much engine coolant with the I/C circuit?? It seems the the two stock circuits just mix fluid only when pressure is changed in the stock expansion tank? I do not see any constant flow between the two stock circuits..

Does the BMW,Evosport, etc tank flow through like this ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzVRLDWXVwY

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd

Last edited by Exotic-metal55; 10-11-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-13-2008 | 01:47 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Took another picture of the I/C T line circuit and engine temp T line circuit. After looking over all the lines and T`s, I see now way that these two circuits can readily mix coolant with each other. They are basically seperate systems that partially share one expansion tank. Expansion tank and T lines are gravity/pressure feed and do not flow water unless water is leaked or pressure changed.. That is the way I see it.

Let`s say the top of the picture is North and the bottom south. The North line coming off the expansion tank T `s into the lower engine radiator hose of the engine coolant circuit. The south line T`s into the I/c circuit and there are no other places for fluid to enter the I/C system from the engien circuit or expansion tank that I can tell. That being said, I can see no advantage to adding another BMW or small expansion tank to help cool the I/C circuit.

What Jackpro has done, well that is a full race set up and add`s gallons of extra capacity.. Capacity being the key to keeping cool IAT`s on a 11 second WOT run ..

Has anyone cut apart our expansion tank? There are dividers in the tank that may help keep the two circuits seperate. Not completley but should help. Hard to tell if there are 2 diviiders or just one.

After all the reading and looking over the stock circuits, It seems adding a larger H/E or more fluid capacity (with flow through capaity) is the only way to see nice cooling gains in this area.

I would love to hear some feedback in this area or several IAT test.
Attached Thumbnails Duel I/C pumps-mvc-001s.jpg