Stuck between the E39 M5 or W211 E55.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Sorry guys this slightly off topic, but I just wanted to give my opinion of magazine results: although I take the magazine tests in consideration, I don't really take them too seriously. Results are usually skewed from magazine to magazine. I've seen magazine tests for the BMW 335 quoting 0-60 in 4.7 seconds and others quoting 4.9, 5.0 seconds etc.... all the way to 5.2 seconds. I even remember one magazine (can't remember which) testing the SL600 in 1/4 mile, then 3 years later, tested the same car again and posted noticeably different numbers. The same goes for the C63: some magazines quoted 0-60 in 3.8 seconds while others quoted 4.5 seconds. There are even some magazines that showed that the new M3 was quicker than the C63 from 0-60 and 0-80 mph
Well, though, differences are to be expected in some cases: for example, the mags use rollout while Edmunds does not (so Edmunds' times are always slower), some mags correct for DA (C&D) while others do not (R&T), and there are weight/horsepower differences between cars, along with surface traction differences, etc....not to mention different drivers: we can all attest to the difficulty in launching these monsters.

Whole lotta variables there, so a few tenths' difference isn't all that significant.

Having said that, I do notice that when a Mercedes C&D has tested previously is put up against a BMW, it seems that in many cases the Mercedes magically turns in slower times (see original 210 E55 test in C&D compared w/its shootout w/E39 M5 and Jag XJR, CLS55 short test vs its comparo w/M5, etc...)
Old 10-13-2008, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Improviz
Well, though, differences are to be expected in some cases: for example, the mags use rollout while Edmunds does not (so Edmunds' times are always slower), some mags correct for DA (C&D) while others do not (R&T), and there are weight/horsepower differences between cars, along with surface traction differences, etc....not to mention different drivers: we can all attest to the difficulty in launching these monsters.

Whole lotta variables there, so a few tenths' difference isn't all that significant.

Having said that, I do notice that when a Mercedes C&D has tested previously is put up against a BMW, it seems that in many cases the Mercedes magically turns in slower times (see original 210 E55 test in C&D compared w/its shootout w/E39 M5 and Jag XJR, CLS55 short test vs its comparo w/M5, etc...)
I see what you're saying with all the variables and launching difficulties, but sometimes it goes slightly beyond. A difference between 3.8 seconds to 4.5 seconds can be a 100+ hp (SLR to C63). For example, sometimes they'll test-compare 3 similarly powered cars (same conditions affecting all 3 cars) and pick one car as having superior times to the others, then another magazine will test same cars and report a completely different set of results for the same cars. Some cars perform better in the hands of certain magazines, and similarly, some cars tend to perform worse in the hands of certain magazines
Old 10-13-2008, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
I see what you're saying with all the variables and launching difficulties, but sometimes it goes slightly beyond. A difference between 3.8 seconds to 4.5 seconds can be a 100+ hp (SLR to C63).
Yeah, that is a pretty huge example...although, frankly, I doubt you'll be seeing too many tests of C63s hitting 3.8s...that was either absolutely perfect conditions, or an amazingly hot running car.

For example, sometimes they'll test-compare 3 similarly powered cars (same conditions affecting all 3 cars) and pick one car as having superior times to the others, then another magazine will test same cars and report a completely different set of results for the same cars. Some cars perform better in the hands of certain magazines, and similarly, some cars tend to perform worse in the hands of certain magazines
Well, this gets back to tolerances. If you take five different examples of a car and dyno it, you'll get marked hp variances, and 10 hp means a tenth...on cars like this, you only need a production variance of a few percent to equal 10-20 hp...

And then, as you pointed out, there are the drivers.

Road & Track gives a significant difference of something like 0.5 sec. in acceleration runs, meaning that for two cars within this amount of each other, it can go either way.

So, they're a decent barometer, but not so great as a thermometer.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
I see what you're saying with all the variables and launching difficulties, but sometimes it goes slightly beyond. A difference between 3.8 seconds to 4.5 seconds can be a 100+ hp (SLR to C63). For example, sometimes they'll test-compare 3 similarly powered cars (same conditions affecting all 3 cars) and pick one car as having superior times to the others, then another magazine will test same cars and report a completely different set of results for the same cars. Some cars perform better in the hands of certain magazines, and similarly, some cars tend to perform worse in the hands of certain magazines
I agree to this, so many biased results out there...even the lap times recorded by said mag or the manufactours them selfs have been magicly getting hp figures or lap times stock cars could only dream of getting.

There is also the fact the the cars come speced differently dependent on region and the country they are sold in...this is not including the options/packages the cars have tires/ fuel and so forth. Example subru jap spec cars to uk/ usa spec cars. BMW M5 E60 and M6 euro/gulf spec compared to us spec and so on

example i saw a mag with a test of the new M3 vs the lexus IS F. The M3 won on the lap, no surprise there, but what i found was the M3 had Mich pilot cup tires on....and they say results are not scued!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:35 PM

03 E55
Originally Posted by ApproachingZero
^^^ Nice...

I looked into the E39 M5 as well. After reading that they have major $10,000+ VANOS issues, weak clutches, and oil burning issues, my choice was clear.

You don't see alot of owners on here that talk about major engine work like that unless they are modding

As for the E60, well I am still thinking about one....x2
+2. I used to have an E39 M5 (bought new) and a 540 as well. They are way more prone to expensive mechanical failures IMO. I'm talking about cylinder/ring issues, VANOS, clutch, etc.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
e39 m5 is a great car! But compared to the w211 e55?? Really?? maybe that's just me. I try to rationalize this scenario by imagining an e39 m5 pulling up to the beast at a light or highway. for me this case was closed before it was even opened.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry, If I offended anyone.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:08 PM

2005 E55
I also owned an E39 M5, which I absolutely loved (until someone hit me about a year ago, and the car just wasn't the same after the repairs). I just picked up an 05 E55 this weekend, and it's a totally different car. Here's my $0.02:

1. Obviously, the E39 is manual, which provides for a much more involved driving experience. The shifter, clutch pedal, etc. are top notch and great for heel-toeing.

2. The E39 is the better handling car. It drives like a much smaller car, with more precise steering than the E55. Definitely need to keep the E39 in sport mode, which increases throttle response and steering weight.

3. The E39's suspension is quite firm, maybe even firmer than the E55's performance setting. You don't have the option of changing the firmness with the E39, though.

4. I thought the E39 had a lot of torque. Well, there are engines with torque, and then there is the 5.4L AMG Kompressor. As anyone on this board can tell you, it might be an understatement to say it pulls like a freight train. The E55 is, and feels like, the faster car in a straight line.

5. If you're going to mod the car you buy, I'd get the E55. Modding the E39 costs way more money with little upside (check out the cost of Dinan Stage 2 or 3). Since the E55 is FI, there are lots of bolt-on mods to make insane power. With that in mind, I don't think warranty would be your biggest issue.

6. I think there are creature comforts available on the E55 as it's a newer model (keyless go, power trunk, panorama roof, adjustable suspension).

7. It's easier and cheaper to integrate an iPod to an E39. The Icelink costs about $200 and it works great. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do with my E55, but based on my limited research, it's a more costly proposition.

Good luck - you can't go wrong with either car!

Last edited by SteveHI; 10-15-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
Originally Posted by SteveHI
7. It's easier and cheaper to integrate an iPod to an E39. The Icelink costs about $200 and it works great. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do with my E55, but based on my limited research, it's a more costly proposition.

Good luck - you can't go wrong with either car!
Nice write up. And until you decide about the iPod kit, just buy a $5 audio cable and plug it into the aux in.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:05 AM

2003 E55 Blk/Blk
Well... Having owned an E39 M5 you will run into a few problems eventually down the line the "guibo" aka flex disk or the vanos getting clogged or the heads getting carbon build up or one of the many rubber grommets or mounts getting week and rattling somewhere. I had an annoying rattle for a while that ended up being the exhaust mounts hitting the center brace, but I went through everything including changing the center driveshaft mount.

All in al the BMW will be easier to work on and imo is an easier car to make your way around because its basic in its mechanics and also in comparison to the e55.

Im now out of the m5 because
1. The e39 M5 seemed like an outdated look in comparison to e60 m5
2. Couldnt deal with little rubber pieces going bad so often. (guibo, tranny mounts, diff mounts, exhaust mounts, driveshaft mount) It was enough to drive me nuts.
3. It wasnt fast enough (The difference between the e39 m5 and the w211 e55 in speed is night and day)

Reason Im getting an e55
1. New look similar to that of e63, newest model
2. rocket sled
3. automatic (m5 is 6 speed, tired of sitting in traffic and doing leg presses with my left leg)( I go on long trips often)
4. Mod friendly (M5 is more expensive to mod in terms of hp/$.) All you really do to those cars is a $900 intake and a full exhaust and a tune. It ends up being 2500-3000 for an extra 25-30 hp @ the wheels.

Either way good luck

P.S. the m5 should be cheaper though and if you do find that you want one more than an e55 than try to find one with the clear new updated headlights/celis led taillights, navigation, three spoke steering wheel, aluminum trim) those are the most desirable options so when you go to resell it you wont have any issues.
Good luck!!

Last edited by HAHA BYE; 10-15-2008 at 02:08 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 BEAST
i actually saw an M5 for sale on here a while ago that had lack and blue interior. It was freaking awesome, and I never say that about anything.

But this is my 2 cents... How can you compare the E39 to the W211 when the E60 and the W211 are a match? I'm sorry but it doesnt make sense to me. Its like comparing a 545i to an E55 IMO. If price is te issue you should look into getting a W210 E55. Its a great car, much more comfortable than an E39 IMO and I dont think it has the expensive upkeep of the E39. But believe me, the E39 is an amazing and timeless car, I will never get sick of the look.

On another note, if you're looking into these cars you might want to look into the old RS6. I'm not saying its neccessarily BETTER, but it's definitely worth looking at.

Happy hunting
Old 10-15-2008, 11:58 AM

A box
Thanks for the reponses fellas. Im leaning ALOT toward the W211 E55 right now.. im looking to spend about $50k ... the only reason i compared the E39 M5 was becasue i always thought those cars looked so sick, and many close friends always rave about how awsome that car is... After some researcinf for the last couple days the E55 looks to be a better vehicle overall...
Old 10-15-2008, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
Did you already get one? I think your avatar was just updated no?

For 50k you can get an 06 with decent to low miles. One with a warranty too.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:59 AM

A box
Originally Posted by W211 BEAST
Did you already get one? I think your avatar was just updated no?

For 50k you can get an 06 with decent to low miles. One with a warranty too.
no i havent picked 1 up yet.. i was VERY close to buying 1.. the DP was handed over and all but i backed out becasue the carfax showd a "INCIDENT" ... still looking around.. im not really in a rush.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:57 AM

2003 E55 Blk/Blk
Originally Posted by W211 BEAST
i actually saw an M5 for sale on here a while ago that had lack and blue interior. It was freaking awesome, and I never say that about anything.
That was mine Its le mans blue
Old 10-23-2008, 04:04 AM

2003 E55 Blk/Blk
Enjoy the bmw sex...my old beast!

Old 10-23-2008, 03:46 PM
kip

E55
Originally Posted by Qmax03
Thank you,

From searchign im seeing the the I/C pumps go bad on these cars, but it looks like its a east myabe $200 fix.

I wanted to know if there is a common problem with anything major... Im worried about buyign the car, then after modding it, it turns out i need a 10k transmission... lol
This is a bulletproof car, but nothing is 100%
Auto zeitung test drove it for 100000km and just couldnt understand how reliable it is:

http://www.autozeitung.de/dauertest/mercedes-e-55-amg

My E39 M5 was very good also, but the E55 has been very good. The E60 M5 is extremely unreliable.

In terms of straight line performance its more like the E550 vs M5. The E55 is in a totally diffrent legue. Compareable to the E60 M5.

GO for the E55! The M5 uses a lot less gas, however.

Last edited by kip; 10-23-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:06 AM
Almost a Member!

bmw
Originally Posted by Qmax03
I know the E55 is a faster car, and i like the styling too... but im hearing ALOT of members here saying not to buy the car W/O warranty. Im planning on modding the car.. Pully/ecu/cooling mods,drop etc.. so i know warranty WILL be void.. plus the w211 will have over 50k miles.

How bad is it not to get warranty ? Ive seen some aftermarket warranties for about $2k....

I know the E39 M5 owners dont stress the need warranty fact...

Im trying to find out WHY all E55 owners keep saying we MUST get a warranty... what Commonly goes on this car that i need to know about ??
I think you got things the other way around.

You absolutely never want to own a E39 M5 without a warranty. The repairs will absolutely kill you. I'm not technical enough to explain the details, but there are certain common wear problems (a number of them powertrain related) that are outrageously expensive to fix.

Most used car values drop after they are out of warranty. But if you look at the BMW M5's, they literally SINK after they are out of warranty. Also, good luck trying to find a service-agreement company to underwrite a warranty for a M5.

There's a reason why you can get a 400-HP "super car" for less than $25k! (early model M5s).
Old 10-27-2008, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by kip
GO for the E55! The M5 uses a lot less gas, however.
Not according to the EPA's http://fueleconomy.gov website. I ran a comparison on the two, and came back with the following city/combined/highway numbers for each car:

W211 E55: 13/15/19 (used MY 2005)
E39 M5: 12/15/19 (used MY 2003)

Reason is BMW gear their cars more agressively than the Benz stuff, and they also have shorter final drives....takes more energy to turn the bigger gears, which is why my old W208 CLK55 with a 5.5L V8 got better mileage (16/18/22 EPA) than the E46 M3, which had a 3.2 L I6 (15/17/22 EPA)!!
Old 10-27-2008, 12:53 PM
kip

E55
Originally Posted by Improviz
Not according to the EPA's http://fueleconomy.gov website. I ran a comparison on the two, and came back with the following city/combined/highway numbers for each car:

W211 E55: 13/15/19 (used MY 2005)
E39 M5: 12/15/19 (used MY 2003)

Reason is BMW gear their cars more agressively than the Benz stuff, and they also have shorter final drives....takes more energy to turn the bigger gears, which is why my old W208 CLK55 with a 5.5L V8 got better mileage (16/18/22 EPA) than the E46 M3, which had a 3.2 L I6 (15/17/22 EPA)!!
My personal experience of a few years of both showed a big real life difference. You CAN drive the M5 economically, but I have yet to get similar results with any kind of driving. I love the E55 more.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by kip
My personal experience of a few years of both showed a big real life difference. You CAN drive the M5 economically, but I have yet to get similar results with any kind of driving. I love the E55 more.
Interesting....as I recall even when C&D tested the two, they got about the same MPG in both cars...although they do, judging by their MPG numbers, seem to get their averages in leadfoot mode.

Fwiw I'm averaging about 17.6 in mine since I got it according to the computer, which I reset literally as I drove it off the lot. In my everyday commute, which is probably 80% highway/20% urban, I'm averaging around 19-ish.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
I currently own both a E39 M5 and a E55.

My M5 is pretty well modded with KW coilovers, 19" BBS wheels and a Dinan S1 package.

My E55 is bone stock.

If I had to keep one it would be the E39 M5.

The car speaks to me more, it has amazing handling characteristics for a vehicle it's size and it is not slow whatsoever (compared to a E55 it is). With the KW coilovers (BEST MOD EVER.) and 19" wheels I would dare say it is the perfect balanced car in terms of looks, handling, speed and ride.

The E55 is the car I turn to when I go to a nice dinner or show with the GF or if I feel like I want to be a hooligan and rip up some unsuspecting Corvettes. The E55 (my 2004 at least) is not nimble in anyway, and when you use the sportiest suspension setting it is pretty rough.

Last edited by eightyseven; 10-28-2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Added picture of E39 M5
Old 10-28-2008, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
Originally Posted by eightyseven
I currently own both a E39 M5 and a E55.

My M5 is pretty well modded with KW coilovers, 19" BBS wheels and a Dinan S1 package.

My E55 is bone stock.

If I had to keep one it would be the E39 M5.

The car speaks to me more, it has amazing handling characteristics for a vehicle it's size and it is not slow whatsoever (compared to a E55 it is). With the KW coilovers (BEST MOD EVER.) and 19" wheels I would dare say it is the perfect balanced car in terms of looks, handling, speed and ride.

The E55 is the car I turn to when I go to a nice dinner or show with the GF or if I feel like I want to be a hooligan and rip up some unsuspecting Corvettes. The E55 (my 2004 at least) is not nimble in anyway, and when you use the sportiest suspension setting it is pretty rough.

The suspension was upgraded in 05 MY though wasnt it?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:52 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Yeah in 2005 the E55 inherited the improved steering rack and suspension tuning from the CLS55.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:13 PM

Huracan. S63. CL63. E55.
Having owned both I can say the E55 is much more of kick in the pants when it comes to mashing your foot on the gas.

Both cars have gobs of torque, but the E55 feels much faster and more controlled at high speeds. I loved the sound of my M5 with the Kelleners exhaust and Supersprint X-pipe. Also, for a car that was produced from 2000-2003 it was very ahead of its time in the sport sedan game (Heated seats, parking sensors, full nav screen (01-03), Alcantra headliner, etc..)

But, again, as much as I love and miss my M5...the E55 is a whole other animal and the power and amenities it comes with (i.e. Dynamic seats) far surpasses the M5.

Once I put a few mods on my E55 I am sure I will love it even more than my modded M5.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:31 AM

2004 E55 AMG
You had a SICK E39 M5. BBS LMs FTW!

I remember chatting with your Dad about his E55 wagon when I brought a car in for an estimate.

You guys definitely have great taste in cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stuck between the E39 M5 or W211 E55.