Question about hood liner material

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Question about hood liner material

Guys, what is the real purpose of the black fiber hood liner material that lines the inside portion of the hood? Is it used as sound deadoning? Is it a thermal barrier to keep engine heat away from paint, is it used to keep heat produced by sunlight beating down on the hood away from the engine? It just looks like like it would insulate the hood and keep excess heat under the hood that might otherwise escape it also looks like it might just add a little extra weight, albeit not much weight, but useless weight none-the-less.

Any help, I think I am going to remove mine, pros vs. cons of doing so?
Old 11-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by jrcart
Guys, what is the real purpose of the black fiber hood liner material that lines the inside portion of the hood? Is it used as sound deadoning? Is it a thermal barrier to keep engine heat away from paint, is it used to keep heat produced by sunlight beating down on the hood away from the engine? It just looks like like it would insulate the hood and keep excess heat under the hood that might otherwise escape it also looks like it might just add a little extra weight, albeit not much weight, but useless weight none-the-less.

Any help, I think I am going to remove mine, pros vs. cons of doing so?
Dunno if you have an aluminum hood or not but the paint fades bad from he heat.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by jangy
Dunno if you have an aluminum hood or not but the paint fades bad from he heat.
My Black Series has an aluminum hood. Do you think there are any performance benefits from removing the liner? Obviosly there will be minimal weight savings (4-5 pounds), but do you think it will allow any additional heat to escape possibly resulting in cooler intake temps under there? Aluminum should disapate the heat pretty well I would assume. Just a thought I have been pondering for a while and figured it was at least worth asking.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT-R
I believe it serves as a fire blanket in case the engine catches on fire. I doubt it weighs more than a couple pounds.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by jrcart
My Black Series has an aluminum hood. Do you think there are any performance benefits from removing the liner? Obviosly there will be minimal weight savings (4-5 pounds), but do you think it will allow any additional heat to escape possibly resulting in cooler intake temps under there? Aluminum should disapate the heat pretty well I would assume. Just a thought I have been pondering for a while and figured it was at least worth asking.
I'm sure it keeps some heat in. i stripped a bunch of the plastic seals and liners, but i left the heat shield. I've toasted paint before and it is ugly. My IATs dropped SLIGHTLY with removing lots of stuff. I can see the heat coming from the back of the hood now. Dunno if that is good or not but any cooling is good to me.