Sponsored by:

Potential E-55 future buyer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Jeep SRT8
Potential E-55 future buyer

I have been reading this forum pretty regularly for awhile and had a few questions for you guys. I have been looking at mainly 2005 and 2006 cars online. Definitely some bad-*** cars.

My biggest concern from what I've been reading is that I shouldn't buy one of these cars without a warranty. I hate going to the dealer for work especially if it's something I can do myself. I am very **** about my cars and do all the maintenance on them myself. That being said what maintenance/service is common for these cars aside from changing the oil, etc?

It almost seems like after the warranty runs out or higher mileage that these cars will have nothing but problems. What are some of the highest mileages you've seen on these cars and what kind of problems do you know of? I would like to get a lower mileage car if I can find one.

If I do get one, it won't be my daily driver, but just a nice weather, fun car. It will replace my 2003 Cobra with 8000 miles.

I tried a search and I couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks for any help and/or recommendations.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:07 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C63 Black Series, 2003 Hummer H1 KSC2, 2003 Hummer H1 HMCO, 1997 Hummer H1 HMC4, 1969 Jaguar E
Well..... let me start off by saying AMG and WARRANTY go hand and hand!!

It is not that you are expecting problems from these cars, it more of saving you’re a$$ from the bill if something dose go wrong. The “AMG Tax” is very expensive and wouldn't want you to have to sell a kidney next time you need your breaks replaced. Haha

Best thing to do when you are shopping for one of these cars is, find one you like, if you can, take it to a reputable Mercedes-Benz dealership and spend the extra cash for them to inspect it really good. Also have them run the VIN number to check the Benz data base to get a history of what all was worked on for your particular car. 10 times out of 10 they previous owner had everything worked on at MB. This way you can tell if it has any major work done to the engine, ect… you don’t want one that has had a lot of problems in the past. If you can’t take it to get inspected, I'd call and have them run the VIN anyway.

As for doing work on your car yourself, I was the same way before I got mine, I did all maintenance on all my cars and SUVs…. Man, let me tell you… please take it to the Mercedes-Benz shop to have it worked on… AMG engines are not they type of engine you don't want to tinker around with. Even if it isn’t the engine… still take it up there. Everything and I mean everything is basically connected to the computer and or needs a computer to fix or reset it.

Ask around on here about the after market warranties… well worth the money and piece of mind. Im not sure what direction to point you with everything that is going on in the auto industry or on where or which one is the best but the boys on here are very smart when it comes to this and they can give you all the info you need.

Besides all that… go for it. These cars are truly amazing machines and will make your mustang cry like a little school girl and run back to Detroit where it came from… haha.

My 3 cents…. Hope it helps!!

Last edited by E55 Bulldog; 11-14-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Mine is not a daily driver but I am year off my warranty and no major trouble yet.

These cars can be a bit of trouble sometimes so warranty can sure get you out of jam in many situations.

Think the thing that will blow your mind the most is the cost of parts.

Benz just makes a KILLING on them. Yes you can do a lot of the work on your car at home, but the parts are still super rape.

If you can snag a CPO, it's worth the cash for sure.

Only takes one tranny or piece of drivetrain to pay for itself.

Good luck. It's an awesome car!!
Old 11-14-2008, 02:11 PM

04 - 06 e55 Wagon - looking for
This is what I got quoted from MBZ owned dealer:

MBZ Extended Warranty based on 05 CPO with 31K miles

1yr at $2395 (MSRP) extends warranty to 6/11 or 100K miles
2yr at $3995(MSRP) extends warranty to 6/12 or 100K miles

Keep in mind the std warranty is 4 yrs or 50K miles whichever comes first.
CPO adds 1 yr to the warranty up to 100K miles whichever comes first

I hear ext factory MBZ warranty can be purchased if car is under 50k miles
Old 11-14-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C63 Black Series, 2003 Hummer H1 KSC2, 2003 Hummer H1 HMCO, 1997 Hummer H1 HMC4, 1969 Jaguar E
Originally Posted by Wish4_e55Wagon

Keep in mind the std warranty is 4 yrs

"STD" Warrenty for 4 years... now dose that prevent STDs for 4 years... now that is good coverage!!

Hhaha.. .sorry I had to!!
Old 11-14-2008, 04:16 PM

2007 Jeep SRT8
Thanks for the great info.