Sponsored by:

Help: Power Steering Loss

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 02:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' E55 Techtite Grey
Help: Power Steering Loss

My power steering has gone out all of the sudden. I don't know if it is the pump, belt, low fluid or what. The weird thing is it works when I give it gas. It doesn't have to be moving as along as I give it some gas the power steering works fine. Anyone ever experience this? Any ideas on what the problem could be I wanted to get all of your input before I took it into the stealership to get it looked at.

Thanks Guys!

Ty
Old 12-02-2008, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
The rack is speed sensitive. Where the steering column attaches to the rack and pinion on the housing of the rack there is a sensor, this is a simple 2 pin plug. Check that it is correctly connected and not damaged.

Look into the steering pump reservoir and check the level, you should be able to see oil covering the filterelement in the reservoir. If the level is low, look for the leak, it is most likely to be wither at the connection between the reservoir and the pump or a leaking rack. If the main seals of the rack have failed then you might not see the loss of fluid yet as it is captive in the plastic gaiters at each end of the steering rack, unclip these to check for oil. There should be a little grease in these but no oil.

The other possibility for assistance only at higher rpm is that the valve of the pump is getting stuck at low rpm and freeing up at higher speeds, but I doubt this as these ZF pumps do not suffer with stuck valves very often.

Check these points and let me know if they resolve the problem. I own a rack and pump reconditioning company and have these parts on the shelf, and even though I am in Belgium, I can send a fellow E55 owner the parts to america cheaper than you can get them anywhere, so dont jump to the stealership for a 3000dollar part if it is the rack.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:08 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
I had the same problem on a BMW and never did get to the bottom of it. Sometimes, it would feel nice, other times like I had no power steering at all. The tank was always full, and the dealer replaced the pump under warranty, which didn't fix it.

I think there is some electronic system that controls how much boost the system gives, and it was on the fritz...
Old 12-03-2008, 02:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' E55 Techtite Grey
Thanks for your input guys I'll check into it and see what I can come up with.