Sponsored by:

E55 in the rain = nervously dangerous!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Yes, like the above picture, even though the outside edges of tire may look fine, the middle/inside portion is most likely worn down to the cords! Common problem...........
Old 12-26-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't have a Mercedes right now...
Originally Posted by AMGsled
I've searched everywhere to see about how the E55 behaves in the rain but didn't find much except a 5 year old thread.

This car scares the **** out of me in the rain. I was going barely 50-55mph on the interstate with tiny puddles of rain on the road and the rear end gets very loose. Now I've owned M3's in the past and I could go 70mph without feeling nervous.

This car is just ridiculously nerve-racking in the rain and I'm literally afraid to drive it in the rain as I don't want it to be in a ditch. I consider myself a very good driver but it just makes me nervous as hell driving this car in the rain. My girlfriend was so scared that she was gripping her cell phone so tightly playing a game to get her mind off how loose the rear-end is she broke the cover on it.

Anybody feel the same way or is there something seriously wrong with the suspension on my car? I know tires plays a big role but damn, it's ridiculous.

The E55 has an open differential (if I am not mistaken) and a ton of low end torque, if your tires don't have much thread on them especially if they are performance tires (optimized for dry) you will feel the car like that when you reach the limit of the tires in the rain. I used to have the continentals on my C43 and even though they were not my favorite tires I had no problems in the rain. After when I changed to Kumho Ecsta MX, when it was raining hard after about 70 mph the car was feeling exactly like you are saying! Like the others said, the problem is mostly related to the tires. Furthermore, if you leave the ESP ON (traction/stability control) you have to put the car in a very bad situation to let the car spin on you. Just buy a set of Michelin Pilot Sports and you should see a world of a difference.

In addition to that, try the AMG challenge when it comes next year, they race the cars in various tracks around the country and they do it whether it is raining or not. After an experience like that you won't be very scared if the car spins a tire a little bit, it is good fun too
Old 12-26-2008, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
I'm down to 50% tread on the Continental Sport Contact 3 and just noticed the hydroplaining around 70. It was never an issue before until the 50% mark. So, until you get new tires, just keep her in the middle lanes and under 70 when it rains.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:16 PM

‘11 SLS, ‘19 GT63 s Edition One
Just drove from LA to Vegas in rain and some snow at higher elevations, Pirelli PZero Nero all seasons and no problems whatsoever even at 90+ MPH.

Like everyone else has said. The tires are the issue, the standard camber settings on these tires wears out the insides, so even if the outside of the tire looks good, check the insides, you probably have worn tires. How many miles have you had on these tires? Anything more than 12 or 15k and they are probably for sure shot.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:02 PM

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 GLE 63 S Coupe 2020 E 63 S
Got Michelin PS2's LOVE THEM! Although I don't drive my car in the rain whenever possible. I have and the tires are great. On my old 210w chassis I had BFG sport which suck in the rain.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I've searched everywhere to see about how the E55 behaves in the rain but didn't find much except a 5 year old thread.

This car scares the **** out of me in the rain. I was going barely 50-55mph on the interstate with tiny puddles of rain on the road and the rear end gets very loose. Now I've owned M3's in the past and I could go 70mph without feeling nervous.

This car is just ridiculously nerve-racking in the rain and I'm literally afraid to drive it in the rain as I don't want it to be in a ditch. I consider myself a very good driver but it just makes me nervous as hell driving this car in the rain. My girlfriend was so scared that she was gripping her cell phone so tightly playing a game to get her mind off how loose the rear-end is she broke the cover on it.

Anybody feel the same way or is there something seriously wrong with the suspension on my car? I know tires plays a big role but damn, it's ridiculous.
But that's the best part about the beast

But seriously, you need to get new tires. I've been using Michellin PS2s, and they've been absolutely great.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Seems like people mod their cars when they first buy them with everything but tires. Tires are always a second thought.

I immediately put on PS2s when I bought a new MB (E350) as a DD (the OEM A/S Contis are worthless.)

My P-car (993 C2S) is usually shod with PS2s or PZero Neros. Vred Sessantas are less sticky in the dry but surprisingly good in the wet. But have a less stiff sidewall. However, those Dutch tires are a good budget alternative.

Tires=the first thing to address, imho.

Last edited by 220S; 12-27-2008 at 04:35 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 AMG Kompressor

well your bmw did not have 700nm and 470hp just keep the esp on it should be fine when the esp is on

Last edited by Ohbev; 12-27-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:19 AM

BMW
Originally Posted by newton22
Oh come on, ESP and IRS suspension. Nuts need to be bigger.
+1