Originally Posted by MJ50
why not VRP long tube headers??
Price.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by MHP
You're obviously the expert, why even bother asking anyone if you already know the answers?
Sorry to come accross that way. I didn't mean to. I'm trying to learn.

Best of luck with your project.

edit: You do know that you can't even get a set of quality custom stainless longtubes made for a Mustang for under $2500. .Also that if you're looking for huge gains from an exhaust in a PD blower app, well, you're looking in the wrong place.
2 things. 1st, I may not hit my price point, but how far off will I be? What is out there that is even close? NOTHING. I'm just trying something and you hate on me for that? There has to be a real price point for these headers and nobody has come close yet and it will not happen until people challenge the system. I may end up paying MUCH more, but I will be honest about why it acually is that costly vs just being expensive. 2nd, I've stated time and again that I expect all of 10 extra horses out of the entire project over my current shorties. I'm not expecting a huge gain. I just wanna learn more about my car.

Thanks for the support, though.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by E55Pilot
You are out of your mind, that ain't gonna happen. Done right you're going to have WELL north of $2K in materials and fab time.

I wouldn't even build a set of headers until I flowed a cylinder head
OK, we have established that I am an idiot and that you are great. Can you at least tell me how far off I am?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63, CLK 55 kleemann, Nissan GTR N1
If you are going to get headers custom made and are looking for maximum top end power use 1.75 inch diameter primary pipes, 24 inches long into a 3.5 inch collector. It is important that the primary pipes are as close as possible to balanced lenghs. Long type or 4 into 2 then into 1 type configurations will tend to boost mid range power. Ceramic coating and or lagging will help retain the heat in the exhaust system and maximize power.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
I had my headers built by the same shop in stainless steel for slightly north of $2k... and yes that includes design/fab/install. I did not however, get long tubes...
With all due respect to you and for jangy's thread, the likelihood of one having a properly engineered pair of performance-enhancing long tube headers and "an exhaust" fitted – regardless of their material – for the investment bandied about by some in this thread is virtually nil. There are several highly skilled fabricators available with the expertise for such tasks in the Southern California area; their knowledge and fabrication abilities are rightly never to be valued essentially gratis.

IMHO, of course.

photo credit Burns Stainless

www.burnsstainless.com
Old 01-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
It is really funny that all I get (well mostly) is hate when all I am trying to do is play. OK, so I may not get it done for $2K. The numbers being thrown around here are ALL under $4k. Who sells a true long tube setup for the E55 for that price? NOBODY. so, why is it so crazy that I am trying to get something better. Maybe not ideal but better than what we have available.

I brought up the 80mmTB as an example because EVERYONE here was paying $3500 for them until we (the members) challenged the setup. No, we did not reinvent the wheel, but we did find out that the price was inflated. What is everyone paying for 80mmTBs now? My guess is exactly half of a year ago and I get no credit for that?

This place has really changed. there was a time when members supported each other and helped find the truth. Now, everyone just wants to be exclusive. And right when I thought Andy was coming around, I get a nice attack just for good measure.

Yeah, E55pilot, do let me spin on this. Were you worried I would stumble onto something the "new" vendors are about to shove if I got bored? As usal, little valuable help. I still have no specs to work on. Stainless vs mild steel? No answer. Nothing but I'm an idiot.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:41 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
2 things. 1st, I may not hit my price point, but how far off will I be? What is out there that is even close? NOTHING. I'm just trying something and you hate on me for that?
Not hate, educate.

We've been fabricating systems for years, I was just being honest, bro you aren't going to get anyone to do a set of quality custom SS longtubes for $2k, especially out in CA.

There has to be a real price point for these headers and nobody has come close yet and it will not happen until people challenge the system. I may end up paying MUCH more, but I will be honest about why it acually is that costly vs just being expensive. 2nd, I've stated time and again that I expect all of 10 extra horses out of the entire project over my current shorties. I'm not expecting a huge gain. I just wanna learn more about my car.

Thanks for the support, though.

More than likely you'll pay $2500-3500 w/out install.

What do you mean by real price point?

Cost of initial design fabrication + equipment to replicate + materials+ labor of skilled workers + some sort of profit = List Price.

You also have to factor in the build numbers of the system in question, basically how many are you going to be able to sell?

I'm trying to be helpful Jangy.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by MHP
More than likely you'll pay $2500-3500 w/out install.
I'm trying to be helpful Jangy.

That is helpful and honestly $2500 - $3000 for honest long tubes is not so far off from what i want. It is still WAAAAAY cheaper than anything offered on these cars.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:45 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
$2k for mild steel is possible but again, you get what you pay for in terms of skill/experience when it comes to the design and labor aspects of the project.

Jangy if you can guarantee 10 buyers of a quality E55 system (longtube to tailpipe) I'll be more than happy to build a full system for you at the same price point as the C63s ($5995 with cats shipped in the U.S.).
Old 01-04-2009, 12:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by splinter
With all due respect to you and for jangy's thread, the likelihood of one having a properly engineered pair of performance-enhancing long tube headers and "an exhaust" fitted – regardless of their material – for the investment bandied about by some in this thread is virtually nil. There are several highly skilled fabricators available with the expertise for such tasks in the Southern California area; their knowledge and fabrication abilities are rightly never to be valued essentially gratis.

IMHO, of course.
Gratis? i am not looking for the best and baddest never to be made. i want to be realistic and get something better than Super Sprint for cheaper. End of story. you guys make it such an extremist thing. I'll take just ok long tubes over no tubes anyday instead of just drooling over the best that I will never get.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
I would agree that 1.75 inch primaries are a good safe diameter to go with, however I disagree about the length. Paying much more money for equal length primaries engineered into a custom set of headers on a V8 will not be worth the effort and price, as it will yield almost no gain. Exhaust pulses on a V8 are uneven and thus negate any benefit that may have been attained by equal length headers. 4-2-1 is a good collector design and will see max benefits in the low-to-mid range powerbands. If Jangy is like myself, I am most concerned with higher RPM performance out of my E55, and that is why I chose a 4 into 1 collector style.

Headers -- Primary Pipe Lengths
Misconceptions concerning exhaust pipe lengths are widespread. Take for instance the much-overworked phrase "equal-length headers." More than the odd engine builder/racer, or two, have made a big deal about headers with the primary pipes uniform within 0.5 inch. The first point this raises is whether or not what was needed was known within 0.5 inch! If not, the system could have all the pipes equally wrong within 0.5 inch! Trying to build a race header for a two-planed crank V-8 with lengths to such precision is close to a waste of valuable time. Under ideal conditions it is entirely practical for an exhaust system to scavenge at or near maximum intensity over a 4,000 rpm bandwidth. Most race engines use an rpm bandwidth of 3,000 or less rpm. If the primary pipe scavenging effect overlaps by 3,000 rpm then it matters little that one pipe tunes as much as 1,000 rpm different to another. Since this is the case, then all other things being equal, pipe lengths varying by as much as 9 inches have little effect on performance. A positive power-increasing attribute of differing primary lengths is that it allows larger-radius, higher-flowing bends and more convenient pipe routing to the collector in often confined engine bays.

Apart from the reasons just mentioned, there is also another sound reason why we should not unduly concern ourselves about equal primary lengths. In practice, the two-plane cranks that typically equip V-8 race engines render the exhaust insensitive to quite substantial primary length changes. Experience indicates inline four-cylinder engines are more sensitive to primary pipe length, but a two-plane cranked V-8 is not two inline fours lumped together. It is two V-4s and, as such, does not have even exhaust pulses along each bank. With a conventional, as opposed to a 180-degree header, exhaust pulses are spaced 90, 180, 270, 180, 90 and so on. The two cylinders discharging only 90 degrees apart are seen, by the collector, as one larger cylinder and accounts for the typical rumble a V-8 is known for. This means the primaries act like they do on a four-cylinder engine, but the collector acts as if it were on a 3-cylinder engine having different sized cylinders turning at less revs. (Doesn't life get complicated?) This, plus the varied spacing between the pulses appears to be the cause of the system's reduced sensitivity to primary length.

These uneven firing pulses on each bank seem to work in our favor. Evidence to date suggests that single-plane cranked V-8s, which have the same exhaust discharge pattern as an in-line four-cylinder engine, make less horsepower and are more length sensitive. Dyno tests with headers having primary lengths adjustable in three-inch increments show that lengths between 24 and 36 inches have only a minor effect on the power curve of V-8s that you and I can typically afford, although the longer pipes do marginally favor the low end.
Taken from this article: Exhaust Science Demystified
Old 01-04-2009, 12:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by KIWI KEN
If you are going to get headers custom made and are looking for maximum top end power use 1.75 inch diameter primary pipes, 24 inches long into a 3.5 inch collector. It is important that the primary pipes are as close as possible to balanced lenghs. Long type or 4 into 2 then into 1 type configurations will tend to boost mid range power. Ceramic coating and or lagging will help retain the heat in the exhaust system and maximize power.
THANKS MUCH!!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:49 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Gotta take into account the blower as well, it's an outstanding band-aid (so to speak) when it comes to exhausts.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by MHP
$2k for mild steel is possible but again, you get what you pay for in terms of skill/experience when it comes to the design and labor aspects of the project.

Jangy if you can guarantee 10 buyers of a quality E55 system (longtube to tailpipe) I'll be more than happy to build a full system for you at the same price point as the C63s ($5995 with cats shipped in the U.S.).
With all due respect, why pay $6K for what is looking more like $3K? Getting 10 cars is **** for me. I've always been able to round up group buyers just not yet. Also, we need to think of our 63 brothers as well. Maybe you can get me a group buy where I can mix and match 55k and 63 cars?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by MHP

Please don't question the workmanship or quality of work done by our guy. The header design, fab and install is done by one man and the price is all inclusive. Some tuners seek opportunity to benefit off of the fat pockets of Benz owners who want to go faster, thankfully, this does not apply to all professionals in all fields of automotive modification.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I have a few leads that i will follow up on. Thanks to those that helped. i don't want this to get stupid, so i will get my info from elsewhere.

E55k and CLS63 LONG tube headers will be out soon. They will be high quality and affordable. Best part, they will show gains at the track so come prepared.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:00 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
With all due respect, why pay $6K for what is looking more like $3K? Getting 10 cars is **** for me. I've always been able to round up group buyers just not yet. Also, we need to think of our 63 brothers as well. Maybe you can get me a group buy where I can mix and match 55k and 63 cars?
The thing is you're not going to get a full 304T system with your choice of cell count of cats (Random Tech metallic substrate) and/or off-road mids (you can swap in 10 minutes), full 1 7/8" LTs (for 63s) to 3" collectors, true X pipe, Resonators and your choice of straight through or baffled mufflers with a lifetime warranty on everything for $3k.
Most people don't have access to McKee pipe benders, or laser welders and cutters. You pay for the cost and use of the equipment and the fairly highly trained people running it all.

In order to build an exhaust for a particular model I need it in the air for 4-5 weeks. I'd need a local E55 (Rock?), in exchange the donor would receive a free full exhaust.
We also need to take into consideration the massive depreciation these cars have suffered and that someone spending $30-35k on a pre owned E55 in all likelyhood isn't going to pay $6k (much less $10k) for a top of the line exhaust.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:03 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by bobgodd
Please don't question the workmanship or quality of work done by our guy. The header design, fab and install is done by one man and the price is all inclusive. Some tuners seek opportunity to benefit off of the fat pockets of Benz owners who want to go faster, thankfully, this does not apply to all professionals in all fields of automotive modification.
I'm sorry, who are you? Regardless I never said anything about anyone specific, I made a general statement and stand behind it. Get over it.

Like I said before, good luck, I don't care what kind of car you're talking about, anyone worth a **** is going to charge more than $2k for a TIG welded set of SS longtube headers.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:03 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
I'll jump in...

Let me say it right now.... for $2000 it cannot be done. Not for top quality. You can use junk mild steel with cheap flanges and mig welded and MAYBE get the job done decently well... but then again you are getting exactly what you paid for.

To get a custom set top quality polished stainless steel w/ CNC machined Stainless flanges, proper quality mandrel bent tubing, all TIG welded, you are looking easily north of $3000 (Just being honest)

Just some advice coming from someone that knows a tiny bit on the subject
Old 01-04-2009, 01:05 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by MHP
The thing is you're not going to get a full 304T system with your choice of cell count of cats (Random Tech metallic substrate) and/or off-road mids (you can swap in 10 minutes), full 1 7/8" LTs (for 63s) to 3" collectors, true X pipe, Resonators and your choice of straight through or baffled mufflers with a lifetime warranty on everything for $3k.
Most people don't have access to McKee pipe benders, or laser welders and cutters. You pay for the cost and use of the equipment and the fairly highly trained people running it all.

In order to build an exhaust for a particular model I need it in the air for 4-5 weeks. I'd need a local E55 (Rock?), in exchange the donor would receive a free full exhaust.
We also need to take into consideration the massive depreciation these cars have suffered and that someone spending $30-35k on a pre owned E55 in all likelyhood isn't going to pay $6k (much less $10k) for a top of the line exhaust.
I am getting your point. But, what if I wanted no cats and to keep my Mufflers? Would that drop price?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:09 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
I am getting your point. But, what if I wanted no cats and to keep my Mufflers? Would that drop price?
Correct, losing the cats would drop the price, as would the mufflers. I couldn't guarantee that your mufflers would line up, that would be on your end.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by MHP
I'm sorry, who are you? Regardless I never said anything about anyone specific, I made a general statement and stand behind it. Get over it.

Like I said before, good luck, I don't care what kind of car you're talking about, anyone worth a **** is going to charge more than $2k for a TIG welded set of SS longtube headers.
Wow I thought you dropped the whole ******** routine?? Guess not. It doesn't matter who I am... I caught on to your pathetic little cheap shot at the local exhaust shop here. I guess you need someway to justify the ridiculous prices you charge for your products. You'll get over it.

And for the record, this guy has made a very profitable business by avoiding price gouging and offering a quality product for reasonable prices. He does zero advertising and yet his shop is fully staffed and is basically on an appointment only basis because he has a non-stop flow of return customers. If you're ever in the area I'd gladly take you there so you can get a better idea of what he is capable of, or even tell him what you're already convinced that he isn't capable of. Oh and if you're still curious who I am, we can discuss that at that time as well.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
I'll jump in...

To get a custom set top quality polished stainless steel w/ CNC machined Stainless flanges, proper quality mandrel bent tubing, all TIG welded, you are looking easily north of $3000 (Just being honest)
I would agree with that price and I believe that is the whole point of this post... That price is still far below what is currently being offered. However, quality headers in mild steel CAN be done for under $3k.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:22 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by bobgodd
Wow I thought you dropped the whole ******** routine?? Guess not. It doesn't matter who I am... I caught on to your pathetic little cheap shot at the local exhaust shop here. I guess you need someway to justify the ridiculous prices you charge for your products. You'll get over it.
I'll call you Sherlock... ...and btw our parts are cheaper than everyone else with a comparable product less tuning, which is still immensely more affordable than anyone else that's gotten nearly the same results as we have (check into MKB) add to the fact we do TCUs as well. Would you rather have a Renntech ECU tung for $4k for both ECU and TCU tuning for another $500. Tough call I know.

And for the record, this guy has made a very profitable business by avoiding price gouging and offering a quality product for reasonable prices. He does zero advertising and yet his shop is fully staffed and is basically on an appointment only basis because he has a non-stop flow of return customers. If you're ever in the area I'd gladly take you there so you can get a better idea of what he is capable of, or even tell him what you're already convinced that he isn't capable of. Oh and if you're still curious who I am, we can discuss that at that time as well.
Good for him the world needs more volunteers. Sounds like you'll own the market in under a year. Can't wait to see the results.

I don't care who you are. I just know that you've never built a set of custom SS LTs much less a full exhaust for anything before. /discussion.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by MHP
I'll call you Sherlock... ...and btw our parts are cheaper than everyone else with a comparable product less tuning, which is still immensely more affordable than anyone else that's gotten nearly the same results as we have (check into MKB) add to the fact we do TCUs as well. Would you rather have a Renntech ECU tung for $4k for both ECU and TCU tuning for another $500. Tough call I know.

Good for him the world needs more volunteers. Sounds like you'll own the market in under a year. Can't wait to see the results.

I don't care who you are. I just know that you've never built a set of custom SS LTs much less a full exhaust for anything before. /discussion.
Look man, I believe I was more than polite and respectful when I asked you not question the man's expertise and workmanship... Let's just keep this on a technical level, it's much more rewarding for everyone here. We are after all, all here because we're enthusiasts.

You are right though, I have never built any parts, let alone an exhaust system.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Long Tube Headers.....what to look for?