Sponsored by:

MOD REGRETS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 K1
Question MOD REGRETS?

Just out of curiosity, how many of you regret having done performance mods to your car? I remember modding my 1970 high performance vette and had nothing but headaches afterward.

How many of you experienced problems after modding or did not think the improvement in performance was worth the cost?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Coalman
Just out of curiosity, how many of you regret having done performance mods to your car? I remember modding my 1970 high performance vette and had nothing but headaches afterward.

How many of you experienced problems after modding or did not think the improvement in performance was worth the cost?
I think any car guy has had let downs at some point or another with a mod or performance part that over promised and under delivered or was of poor quality, lord knows it's happend to me a bunch of times...can you all say Dinan M3

The nice thing about today vs. the 70's, 80's is forums such as this one. You get input from hundreds if not thousands of consumers with the same interest. You can almost always easliy find 6-7 guys that have put a certain type of exaust on their cars and another 6-7 guys that choose to put a different brand of exhaust on their cars and then they can post their results on here and compare pros and cons of each system.

Just start a thread, post up what you want to accomplish and you will get answers from informed people that have already done the trial and error part of it.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
NO regrets what-so-ever. I absolutely LOVE it!~!

I was beginning to feel like the mods weren't worth the money...ONLY because I was slowly gettin used to the speed and power on my own. Then it would all change if/when I would happen to run other people, the smile returns to my face and I'm more then glad that I modded...

Last edited by BenzoBoi; 01-06-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
2.65 to 2.82 diff change was a big waste of time and actually think it is hurting me now as my shift points are different.

Diff alone was 3K, then half shafts and install PLUS TCU flash was just way too much cash for the return.

Honestly if I could have done it all over again. I would go with an aggressive tune and pulley......and then slap on those SLR intercoolers. This car is just begging for more efficient cooling. Not just larger exchangers.

I should have did that all along. Even then, not sure if the cash in = the performance out. Cheapest I have seen so far is well over 10K.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
My S65 is the only car in my fleet that was bought second hand, it's also the only one with major mods. I bought it at low miles for a great price from a good friend who thankfully has much deeper pockets than me (he replaced it with the W221)and offered to help out if there is any catastrophic failure. He got this pig to trap 124mph in its sleep but it throws error codes every month. Not ideal considering this is the family ride for long trips (three kids) and currently investigating getting it back to stock (unsure how easy or cheap this is so please chime in if anyone has any info).