Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E500 Estate
We also sell lowering modules and export them all over
Old 01-19-2009, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Thanks all.

I am now contacting dealers in my area to see if anyone has ever lowered cars via star, my local does not have a clue let alone understand why I want it lower! LOL! if that fails then ELM from a reputable company for sure.

The car is as new (1 owner 26k) with MB warranty the last thing i want to do is mess it up.. BTW What a machine!! so much torque!!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by Lopes80
Thanks all.

I am now contacting dealers in my area to see if anyone has ever lowered cars via star, my local does not have a clue let alone understand why I want it lower! LOL! if that fails then ELM from a reputable company for sure.

The car is as new (1 owner 26k) with MB warranty the last thing i want to do is mess it up.. BTW What a machine!! so much torque!!
Lopes,

I know there are shops in the London area who can do this for you, be patient. ELM is another good solution, however if you go this route try to use one of the newer designs that have a harness to integrate rather than some of the older versions which require splicing! I never recommend splicing into factory wiring!

Best of luck,

Marcus
Old 01-19-2009, 06:32 PM

E55 AMG
Ok, thanks Marcus.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by GMP - MATTHEW
set the tow and camber
WTF is "Tow"

or did you mean "TOE"?

Kinda scary when a performance shop that does performance alignments gets that wrong.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by E55Pilot
WTF is "Tow"

or did you mean "TOE"?

Kinda scary when a performance shop that does performance alignments gets that wrong.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 E63 AMG
Do all MB dealers do the Star lowering?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by liquiddi
Do all MB dealers do the Star lowering?
No, they don't. If you are in Chicago, take your car over to CPT. They've done all my cars.

http://www.gocpt.com

-m
Old 01-20-2009, 03:21 PM

2009 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
No, they don't. If you are in Chicago, take your car over to CPT. They've done all my cars.

http://www.gocpt.com

-m

Bummer. I'm down by St. Louis. Nobody does it here I guess
Old 01-20-2009, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by liquiddi
Bummer. I'm down by St. Louis. Nobody does it here I guess
Road trip!!! Get the car lowered, grab a good meal, do some shopping. Win, win bud.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:50 PM

E55 AMG
Hey Marcus,

My car is at the dealer now having recal work done(after selling dealer missed them on the on pre sale prep and multy point check may I add), tech is saying yes, he can lower it but he does not know how long it will last?? Apparently it will go back to normal hight eventually??

I told him about this forum and you guys in US do it with no problems!!
Old 01-20-2009, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Lopes,

It does not re-adapt to any other values over time. What he may be referring to is that sometimes the airmatic system in our cars has a bit of a mind of it's own and likes to raise the car when it's parked or at other strange and random times. It does return to it's set values, even if sometimes it may look raised or otherwise at a height that isn't what it's set to by default. It's not going to just "go away", though.

You should aim for about 1 inch of lowering. I've found that for daily driving purposes this gives good ride comfort, good ground clearance, good looks, and still improves handling considerably.

Good luck,

Marcus
Old 01-20-2009, 06:12 PM

E55 AMG
Marcus,

Yes I have noticed that when you have suspension on "sports mode 2" it looks lower sometimes..

I will ask tech to go ahead and lower it 1".

Thank you,

Paul Lopes
Old 01-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E500 Estate
Let me know when you do lower it, you will need our control arms kits to correct the camber and tow so you don't go through tires every couple thousand miles.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:56 PM

E55 AMG
Hi Matthew,

How much for lower arms?

I have just been offered a Brabus kit at a good price but it only lowers 25mm, i dont know if that will be enough??

I have looked on here there is not much info on them...

Paul
Old 01-26-2009, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Lopes,

25mm for London roads will be perfect. That is how much I have lowered my car, and it looks very good and not overly done. If your confidence in your tech is not sufficient, a well made lowering module is the right way to go.

-m
Old 01-26-2009, 07:39 PM

E55 AMG
Hi Marcus,

I just can't find a tech that will do it.

And no I don't trust my local. I have just had some work done, 2x recall and steering geometry, (wheel slightly to the right), got it back with steering now to the left! Found rear bench seat not secured properly from when they had it moved to access fuel tank. UNREAL!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Hi Marcus,

I just can't find a tech that will do it.

And no I don't trust my local. I have just had some work done, 2x recall and steering geometry, (wheel slightly to the right), got it back with steering now to the left! Found rear bench seat not secured properly from when they had it moved to access fuel tank. UNREAL!
That's unfortunate. There is a forum member here by the name of Steve who is from the Netherlands and he offers these kinds of services. He often does "trips" where he will make appointments with several members in a given city, make the trip there, and do all the work. He actually lowered my first E55 here in Chicago when we arranged a trip for him. In your case, you might even fancy a weekend trip over to him and take advantage of some of the other upgrades he offers. It's not that far of a trip for you. Check out his website http://www.mbenznl.com

-m
Old 02-01-2009, 05:39 AM

E55 AMG
Not had much luck with dealers, I have just recieved my Car's registration Document to find the car has 2 previous owners when my sales guy said 1, I'm not happy, any ideas in what to do??

I will Look it up thanks, I actually bought a Brabus ELM now just need to find someone to fit it.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:32 AM

2009 E63 AMG
To adjust your steering wheel is easy. Takes 2 seconds under the car.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E500 Estate
Hi Matthew,

How much for lower arms?

I have just been offered a Brabus kit at a good price but it only lowers 25mm, i dont know if that will be enough??

I have looked on here there is not much info on them...

Paul

What is the year of your E55? They aren't replacement arms although I could probably source new control arms, have the bushings installed here and ship them to you so you just need to replace your factory arms. These bushings provide adjustment at the lowered position so you can align the car which will allow you to drive the car all the time in this position with normal tire wear.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:42 AM

06 E55 current, M5 Sold, C32 Sold, 330xi Sold
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
My dealer lowered mine for 225.00 and that included an alignment. They refer to it as a 'ride height adjustment'. I got about an 1" out of her.

I've since gone to a RENNtech ELM, for adjustablilty reasons.
Which dealer did you go to? I have been looking for somewhere in VA but haven't found one that is willing to do it.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
Originally Posted by Vader55
whether you use washers, $250 replacement brackets, STAR, Electrical lowering, whatever you choose, if you think about it, the physical relationship between the car and the strut is exactly the same.Neither method can change that.

The Star Diag method just modifies the Pot values in the program so that the car "thinks" the new value is the correct height, or 0. and that becomes the new reference value.

Washers and Brackets do not change the program defaults. instead they change the signal references that come from the three potentiometers. basically tricking the program into thinking the car is "too high" so it lowers itself till the program values are correct again.

With the devices that lower electrically, all they are doing is modifying those same values except via preset signals burned into a chip or two and the car is still tricked into thinking the values are correct so it automatically adjusts accordingly.

either way, it's the same thing... anyone who understands simple logic and electromechanical inputs would know this.

Food for thought.
that is exactly what i have been saying too. some people are sold on these electric modules that cost a 1000+ but all they do is modify the voltage signal fron the potentiometers to the ecu to make the ecu think it's higher than it actually is......which is exactly what washers and links do ONE for ONE. washers and links are just as active as the module because the height sensor still works.

if you actually watch someone lower your car with star you will see what they are doing. they go into the values readout the angle, then they lower your car, and after that the KEY step for the car to stay low and not come back up is they FORCE SWAP the old angles into the computer. this is exactly why some people can't get it to stay lowered, they just lowered but dont force the old angles in there. if you think about it that is doing the same thing - it's tricking the car in a different way.

lowering by an inch with link, washers, elm, star will put the same EXTRA amount of stress on the air suspension. and star is the only one that's a bit different but it still tricks the car by force inputing the old angles into the ecu.

the ONLY real PRO of lowering module (renntech in particular) is the ease of adjustability on the fly.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by vimzin
Which dealer did you go to? I have been looking for somewhere in VA but haven't found one that is willing to do it.
PM if you're truly interested. I can put you in touch with the right people. It's a dealer in Montgomery County, MD. They don't admit that they do it, but they do. Trust me.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
Got mine lowered for $195 via Star with an alignment included at the dealer. Car is a lot comfortable too as opposed to being lowered on links (which provides a stiff ride).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to lower E55 AMG