W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have experience with STA-BIL fuel stabilizer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Anyone have experience with STA-BIL fuel stabilizer?

I put my car in storage three weeks ago with a full tank of gas. I imagine it is going to sit there for at least another 6 weeks or more. I can always go start it or take it for a spin, as it is literally down the street from me. But I suspect that I may not have many chances to do that given my schedule.

Should I consider adding STA-BIL to the tank?

Has anyone on this board actually used it in their car? Anything worth noting?

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Never used it in a car but have in bikes. New gas will stay good for several months. I only use Stabil when I really don't know how long it will be until I use one of the bikes again. Two years is about the longest I've let a bike sit with Stabil in it. Ran fine after just a few startup coughs and sputters.

I think you use about 1oz per gallon, so it might end up expensive to treat a whole tank. Last time I bought it it was around $15 for 12 ozs.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Yes, it works great, the threshold for its use is storage over 6 months. Gas will stay reasonably fresh for 6 months anything more than that, by all means use the stabil.
Back in the old days most tanks were steel and the standard procedure was to store the tank full to prevent rust in the tank. Today many fuel tanks are plastic (W211) so the new thinking is to store the tank with the least amount of fuel in possible One other condition to consider is most fuels in the US have 10% ethanol, the ethanol holds water so the less of it the better when it comes to long term storage. So if you store the car with the tank almost empty only a Small amount of fuel can "go bad" and that fuel can be diluted with fresh new fuel when you get your car out of storage.
Lastly don't over do it with the Stabil use no more than necessary. It is not one of those products that if a little is good than more is better.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 CTS V Coupe 6MT
Sta-Bil

Sta-bil works great on engines that use float bowl technology, old carb type engines, lawn mower/blowers/chainsaws etc. Modern high press FI motors really don't need it. I have used it in 5 gal gas containers being stored over the winter and it worked well.

George
Old 01-25-2009, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Yes, it works great, the threshold for its use is storage over 6 months. Gas will stay reasonably fresh for 6 months anything more than that, by all means use the stabil.
Back in the old days most tanks were steel and the standard procedure was to store the tank full to prevent rust in the tank. Today many fuel tanks are plastic (W211) so the new thinking is to store the tank with the least amount of fuel in possible One other condition to consider is most fuels in the US have 10% ethanol, the ethanol holds water so the less of it the better when it comes to long term storage. So if you store the car with the tank almost empty only a Small amount of fuel can "go bad" and that fuel can be diluted with fresh new fuel when you get your car out of storage.
Lastly don't over do it with the Stabil use no more than necessary. It is not one of those products that if a little is good than more is better.
LOL. I just topped off the tank before putting it away.

My battery was draining (convenience features were off), so I picked up a battery tender at Pep Boys. She felt nice today. I will miss her.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.