Sponsored by:

Strange Tranny Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 / 2008 E63
Strange Tranny Issue

Twice in 3 months (daily driver). Rolling along around 70-80 and have gone to blow by traffic. Hit the pedal hard, get up to 90-100 and as I ease off the gas the tranny acts like it wants to hard downshift then slips into neutral. And I mean neutral, cannot re-engage a gear. Coast to a stop, turn off and on and everything is fine. No issues with car for a year, no tranny slips etc, beyond baffled. Under CPO so I'll take by when I have a chance but odds are they state nothing found unless this would trigger a fault code. Any guess before I take her in? Thanks.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:50 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2019 GLE 63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by jdeastbay
Twice in 3 months (daily driver). Rolling along around 70-80 and have gone to blow by traffic. Hit the pedal hard, get up to 90-100 and as I ease off the gas the tranny acts like it wants to hard downshift then slips into neutral. And I mean neutral, cannot re-engage a gear. Coast to a stop, turn off and on and everything is fine. No issues with car for a year, no tranny slips etc, beyond baffled. Under CPO so I'll take by when I have a chance but odds are they state nothing found unless this would trigger a fault code. Any guess before I take her in? Thanks.
I had this exact thing happen to me once about two months ago. It is just in neutral even with the gear selector in drive right, slowed down to about 10mph and it went back into gear. Scared the crap out of me like something broke on the freeway.

Anyway, I took mine into benz and they said the front pump went out, and was leaking and it was low on fluid. Car is under warranty, so I'm covered. I haven't had any problems since. Mine didn't trigger any codes either, but they had to drop the tranny to fix it. My car is a 2005 with 35k
Old 02-01-2009, 05:07 PM

2005 E55 / 2008 E63
Ironic as mine is an 05 with 41k. Correct, put back into (D)rive and nothing happens excpt the rev of the engine... Can I ask what pump your are referring to? THX
Old 02-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I've seen a bunch of tranny issues come up and all happen to be at about 40k miles. Odd....
Old 02-02-2009, 12:09 AM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2019 GLE 63 S Coupe
Yeah, it was pretty bizarre realizing that it was in drive but the motor would just rev up like it was in neutral, while going down the freeway at 80.....

scratch that two codes were in my ecu, sorry I am just reading the repair work order right now. P2069 and P2500. Transmission was 1 quart low on fluid, and the transmission oil pump was leaking. (never saw any oil on ground in garage)

They warrantied the transmission Oil pump, two seal rings, two general rings. + about 7 hours labor. That is what the repair order says.
Hopefully that helps if you need me to send you a copy of it let me know so that they don't go chasing there tails and tell you they can't find anything wrong. Because we are describing the exact same thing.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 AM

2005 E55 / 2008 E63
AMG Guy thanks a ton. This helps before heading into the shop.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:15 PM

2005 E55 / 2008 E63
Picked my car up this afternoon. The P2500 code had come up and they ended up replacing the valve body inside the tranny. Added, I had them STAR lower and -10 degree mod. Love the lower stance look, and can really feel the difference in handling. Wish I had lowered a year ago. Will try and post pics tomorrow if I have a chance.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
Originally Posted by amg guy
Yeah, it was pretty bizarre realizing that it was in drive but the motor would just rev up like it was in neutral, while going down the freeway at 80.....

scratch that two codes were in my ecu, sorry I am just reading the repair work order right now. P2069 and P2500. Transmission was 1 quart low on fluid, and the transmission oil pump was leaking. (never saw any oil on ground in garage)

They warrantied the transmission Oil pump, two seal rings, two general rings. + about 7 hours labor. That is what the repair order says.
Hopefully that helps if you need me to send you a copy of it let me know so that they don't go chasing there tails and tell you they can't find anything wrong. Because we are describing the exact same thing.
this might be exactly what what I have!

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...nightmare.html

bump and blast from the past