MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   AMG 2-Piece Rim developing a crack... (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/280561-amg-2-piece-rim-developing-crack.html)

blando 02-14-2009 06:35 PM

Same thing just happened on my C32 with AMG Style IV 18" rims. Slow leak traced to fracture on inside lip on rear wheel.

Verooom 06-14-2009 09:34 PM

I just discovered I had the same problem. The air was leaking slowy and I would put air in and the same would happen. My tires are in great condition. Decided to take out the right rear wheel and discovered the same hairline crack. Now I will need a new rim elsewhere or from MB, hopefully warranty will cover!

JustPete 06-15-2009 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Oxygen (Post 3352151)

Wow! :eek:

Just my opinion, but if they came from Mercedes, they should be covered, regardless of model. Choices of rims is nothing out of the ordinary. So long as they were the right size for the car, I don't see the issue. It's a genuine Mercedes product failing under warranty.

JustPete 06-15-2009 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by blando (Post 3352539)
Same thing just happened on my C32 with AMG Style IV 18" rims. Slow leak traced to fracture on inside lip on rear wheel.

Originally Posted by Verooom (Post 3574477)
I just discovered I had the same problem. The air was leaking slowy and I would put air in and the same would happen. My tires are in great condition. Decided to take out the right rear wheel and discovered the same hairline crack. Now I will need a new rim elsewhere or from MB, hopefully warranty will cover!

This is starting to sound like a manufacturing/design defect.

I believe these are the same rims I have. I'm not only CPO'd til 2013 but I have rim and tire coverage until 2014 that covers any problem with my rims, even if I hit a massive crater in the road.

:bow:

bigben320e 06-15-2009 10:36 AM

This makes me not consider these anymore. Holy cracks man! :eek:

I do wonder is this with a particular run in production/time or just a defect period?

Verooom 06-15-2009 02:14 PM

Dealer said these are not covered under warranty and it is considered a "road hazard". I suggested that it was not in any way my fault associated with this crack and told them maybe it was a wheel defect. Has anyone been successful with this claim with the dealer? I am thinking might as wheel get a set of new after market wheels instead of paying ~900 for just one rim!

MJ50 06-15-2009 02:16 PM

i say we write to MB USA as a group with all same incidents and see what happens...

JustPete 06-15-2009 02:31 PM

This many similar experiences with those rims sure sounds like design or manufacturing defect to me.

Sure am glad right now I opted for the wheel/rim insurance :bow:

MB_Forever 06-15-2009 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by JustPete (Post 3575446)
This many similar experiences with those rims sure sounds like design or manufacturing defect to me.

Sure am glad right now I opted for the wheel/rim insurance :bow:

What is the wheel/rim insurance? And what company did you go with? And what are the prices like? Please PM me if you rather not post it here.

Thanks.

MB_Forever 06-15-2009 02:40 PM

I guess the list keeps growing....

1) Oxygen
2) MJ50
3) baldmike73
4) TomCL65
5) blando
6) Veroom

Not looking so good for these rims so far :nix:

Verooom 06-15-2009 03:14 PM

Dealer told me the price PER wheel is $2,700. Now that's per wheel. Wheels that high should not have cracks without any impact on them! So I opted to buying these wheels for the CL... Tell me what you guys think. I am using the old tires and TPMS for these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-RS...lenotsupported

V12Godspeed 06-15-2009 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Verooom (Post 3575541)
Dealer told me the price PER wheel is $2,700. Now that's per wheel. Wheels that high should not have cracks without any impact on them! So I opted to buying these wheels for the CL... Tell me what you guys think. I am using the old tires and TPMS for these.

Not even HRE's are that expensive. What a complete rip off.

bigben320e 06-15-2009 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by V12Godspeed (Post 3575554)
Not even HRE's are that expensive. What a complete rip off.

Hence they are called $tealerships.

zdkdeeier493 06-15-2009 03:51 PM

I had the same exact crack in one of my 2-piece AMG SL65 wheels. I just had it repaired a couple of weeks ago (ie. ****tily tack welded) but it has been holding up fine since then. Im way out of warranty so there's no way I'd try mentioning it to the dealer. I highly doubt they'd help even if I were still in warranty

JustPete 06-15-2009 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by MB_Forever (Post 3575460)
What is the wheel/rim insurance? And what company did you go with? And what are the prices like? Please PM me if you rather not post it here.

Thanks.

I bought R.O.A.D. InTire Emergency Motor Club 5 year Vehicle tire and wheel guarantee.

$500 for the High Performance Luxury Class III coverage which will repair or replace with new tires and wheels. (Tires so long as minimum tread is there)

Coverage is for 5 years.

I'm more concerned about the wheels than the tires which probably won't see 5 years. :p:

Coverage includes tow if necessary too.

JustPete 06-15-2009 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Verooom (Post 3575541)

That's precisely why I bought the ROAD insurance. My buddy at the dealer said ... one whack on a curb with a rim that ruins it and you've paid for the insurance. :bow:

Vader55 06-15-2009 05:35 PM

Mercedes wheels are (gravity)poured cast boat anchors, heavy and weak due to the air pockets in the ancient pouring process they use. Most of the replica wheels coming over on the container ships from Asia are using low pressure cast process which is lighter and stronger and best of all less then half of what oem wheels cost.

GRAVITY CASTING

Gravity casting is the most basic process of pouring molten aluminum into a mold utilizing the earth's gravity to fill the mold. Gravity casting offers a very reasonable production cost and is a good method for casting designs that are more visually oriented or when reducing weight is not a primary concern. Since the process relies on gravity to fill the mold, the aluminum is not as densely packed in the mold as some other casting processes. Often gravity cast wheels will have a higher weight to achieve the required strength.

LOW PRESSURE CASTING

Low pressure casting uses positive pressure to move the molten aluminum into the mold quicker and achieve a finished product that has improved mechanical properties (more dense) over a gravity cast wheel. Low-pressure casting has a slightly higher production cost over gravity casting. Low pressure is the most common process approved for aluminum wheels sold to the O.E.M. market. Low-pressure cast wheels offer a good value for the aftermarket as well. Some companies offer wheels that are produced under a higher pressure in special casting equipment to create a wheel that is lighter and stronger than a wheel produced in low pressure. Once again in the quest for lighter weight, there is a higher cost associated with the process.

CynCarvin32 06-16-2009 02:38 AM

could it possibly be a pothole? Your neck for the woods has a few of those.

I dont see much more than a bunch of wheels that cracked with likely exposure to large potholes.

From what I have heard the 2 piece amg 19's are extremely strong.

I damaged 2 wheels on my S63. Not that its a defect in the wheel its the fact that holes in the road cause damage and the your sales brochure states this. This is part of owning low profile tires and large wheels.

MB wont replace your wheel and the fact that its not factory fit solidifies that fact.

D Bst 06-16-2009 12:11 PM

Regarding the wheel/tire insurance.

It's a dealer only "service" by the look of it, here's the insurers datasheet.

http://www.iasdirect.com/products/in...ta%20sheet.pdf

However, a quick Google search shows that for wheels (not tires), the coverage is limited to $1000 in claims. JustPete, can you confirm the covergae limits?

JustPete 06-17-2009 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by D Bst (Post 3577138)
Regarding the wheel/tire insurance.

It's a dealer only "service" by the look of it, here's the insurers datasheet.

http://www.iasdirect.com/products/in...ta%20sheet.pdf

However, a quick Google search shows that for wheels (not tires), the coverage is limited to $1000 in claims. JustPete, can you confirm the covergae limits?

The contract I signed doesn't state any limit on cost of the wheels. It did have a category for High Performance Luxury which Mercedes fell into Class III coverage.

The only limits stated are:

"Eligible wheels are your vehicle's original wheels on the vehicle upon delivery to you by the selling dealer"

And

"Coverage includes the cost to repair or replace the tire and/or wheel, using the current retail market value of the replaced tire and/or wheel, mounting, valve stems, balancing, taxes and labor charge."

No dollar limit specified anywhere on the contract. If there's a $1000 limit, no one told me.

D Bst 06-17-2009 05:13 PM

Thanks... a good reference for any future vehicle purchases (with expensive/special rims).

zdkdeeier493 06-17-2009 05:34 PM

But no use for aftermarket wheels...damn

JustPete 06-17-2009 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by D Bst (Post 3579695)
Thanks... a good reference for any future vehicle purchases (with expensive/special rims).

Glad to help. :y

JustPete 06-17-2009 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eleanor Owner (Post 3579740)
But no use for aftermarket wheels...damn

May cover aftermarket wheels IF they're part of the deal. I'd ask the dealer on that one, but from the way it reads to me ... if you buy the car with aftermarket wheels (Part of the deal negotiated and sold from dealer) They'd be covered.

Just not wheel changes from what you bought.

I dunno if that would fly, but it's worth asking (And getting in writing) :p:

Gondon 06-17-2009 06:35 PM

The 65 Rims on sale now on TireRack 699$ each

But not staggered.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand