MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg-81/)
-   -   AMG 2-Piece Rim developing a crack... (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/280561-amg-2-piece-rim-developing-crack.html)

Oxygen 02-02-2009 12:28 PM

AMG 2-Piece Rim developing a crack...

I had a slow leak in my driver's side front tire. When I took it to a tire shop to put on a new tire, they tech pointed out that the problem is not with the tire, but with a hairline fracture that is developing on the inside lip of the rim.

I have not had a chance to fix or replace the rim yet, but I check it the other day and it looks like the fracture is now extended beyond the lip of the rim and is making it's way across the flat area.

My question is - should I raise some kind of a complain with MBUSA? There is absolutely NO PHYSICAL damage on the rim where the fracture originated. There is no damage what so ever to the tire that was on the wheel.

I feel that this is more of a safety concern than anything... if that crack goes out of hand and that wheel shatters on me while doing 80MPH in a 5000lbs car... :eek:

I feel that the wheel is defective and should be replaced by the manufacturer. These are 2-piece 19" AMG wheels for the 65 models.

Fr33kn63 02-02-2009 12:51 PM

I would start at the dealer and see what they have to say. Either that or go ahead and call MBUSA and tell them what is going on. I agree seem like manufacturer should be responsible for it. Are you out of warranty? I am guessing yes, but thought I would ask.
If none of the above and you are responsible then time to start looking for a new one if you havent already!

PS.-thanks for the unlocking my tranny at MIR last November! Hope to see you at MIR next month.

Akademiks 02-02-2009 01:02 PM

Eh, I don't see MBUSA or your warranty covering this one. They can argue, driving style and such-- and if memory serves your vehicle is modded? The wheels aren't even stock for your model (S600), I highly doubt they'd be happy to oblige.

Those dealerships are sharks bro, best of luck.

Oxygen 02-02-2009 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Fr33kn63 (Post 3321911)
I would start at the dealer and see what they have to say. Either that or go ahead and call MBUSA and tell them what is going on. I agree seem like manufacturer should be responsible for it. Are you out of warranty? I am guessing yes, but thought I would ask.
If none of the above and you are responsible then time to start looking for a new one if you havent already!

PS.-thanks for the unlocking my tranny at MIR last November! Hope to see you at MIR next month.

Car is CPO'd and has a factory warranty, which I assume will be revoked as soon as you they pop open the hood and find all the funk.

The rims were NOT OEM equipment, but are from an S65 which is heavier than my car. Rims are original MB/AMG wheels.

V12Godspeed 02-02-2009 01:33 PM

Sorry to hear this Chris...you are the second person I hear this has happened to. A buddy of mines (TomCL65) had the same exact problem with one of his 2 Piece AMG wheel. He had a hairline crack and just eneded up replacing all of them with an Aftermarket wheel I had for sale. Good luck trying this fixed. :y

Vadim @ FD 02-02-2009 01:44 PM

I have seen those wheels crack as well.

Give dealer try, you never know.

Good Luck!

Oxygen 02-02-2009 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Vadim @ VRP (Post 3322157)
I have seen those wheels crack as well.

Give dealer try, you never know.

I heard about that also...

See I'm not sure which dealer to go to... The one where I bought my car or any MB dealer?

I was thinking of just going to MBUSA HQ in New Jersey... about an hour ride from here.

These are the wheels I'm talking about in case anyone doesn't know...

http://photo.thegetlucky.com/img/v4/p86542113.jpg

baldmike73 02-02-2009 03:21 PM

i have cracked 2 AMG III in the past on my 202. One had a hairline then the other happened a few months later.

Oxygen 02-02-2009 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by baldmike73 (Post 3322474)
i have cracked 2 AMG III in the past on my 202. One had a hairline then the other happened a few months later.

These caused a slow leak?

Vic55 02-02-2009 06:18 PM

Since these are NOT the factory wheels- I dont see the new car or extended warranty covering them. Generally when one changes the factory wheels to aftermarket or upgraded versions, its the retailer where you bought the wheels that should pay or repair under coverage.

Oxygen 02-02-2009 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Vic55 (Post 3322977)
Since these are NOT the factory wheels- I dont see the new car or extended warranty covering them. Generally when one changes the factory wheels to aftermarket or upgraded versions, its the retailer where you bought the wheels that should pay or repair under coverage.

Yes that is correct but these are wheels designed for heavier cars and I can pick out at least 4 members on this forum that have had this same situation with these same rims.

This leads me to believe that it's not the roads we drive on, but defective wheels.

MBUSA should replace these, if not, the dealership that sold me these genuine wheels.

I will make phone calls tomorrow and see what happens, I do not have any hopes of getting these replaced to be honest, just want to voice my opinion to them.

Vic55 02-02-2009 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Oxygen (Post 3323044)
Yes that is correct but these are wheels designed for heavier cars and I can pick out at least 4 members on this forum that have had this same situation with these same rims.

This leads me to believe that it's not the roads we drive on, but defective wheels.

MBUSA should replace these, if not, the dealership that sold me these genuine wheels.

I will make phone calls tomorrow and see what happens, I do not have any hopes of getting these replaced to be honest, just want to voice my opinion to them.

good luck but if not, go after the retailer like I said.

Oxygen 02-02-2009 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Vic55 (Post 3323099)
good luck but if not, go after the retailer like I said.

And if that fails I think I'm going to pickup a set of 360|Forged wheels with CF centers. :y

Vic55 02-02-2009 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Oxygen (Post 3323111)
And if that fails I think I'm going to pickup a set of 360|Forged wheels with CF centers. :y

So you dont want your wheels until 2010 then :rolf::rolf::rolf:

j/k

mkonei 02-02-2009 08:14 PM

unfortunately i work at a stealership, have for ten years now. the person that you bought the car from is not the one that would help you, because you changed the wheels. you purchased them new from a MB dealer i assume? youll have to find out what the parts warranty is on them originally....and i hope you still have your receipt! if they are still under warranty, and you have paperwork from a dealer, any MB dealer should be able to help you. however, the original selling dealer might be more inclined to contact a rep for "policy" on them if they are no longer covered, especially if they have a history of failures. GL

bobgodd 02-03-2009 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Vic55 (Post 3323115)
So you dont want your wheels until 2010 then :rolf::rolf::rolf:

j/k

You assume that he'll actually get them...

Oxygen 02-03-2009 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by bobgodd (Post 3323746)
You assume that he'll actually get them...

Maybe 2012 is better... goes along with the whole end of the world thing.

MJ50 02-03-2009 10:39 AM

i also had 2 hairline cracks on my stock wheel...
just got new one and repaired the crack one for spare use...
it seems certain factory AMG wheels are prone to cracks... :nix:

Oxygen 02-03-2009 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by MJ50 (Post 3324541)
i also had 2 hairline cracks on my stock wheel...
just got new one and repaired the crack one for spare use...
it seems certain factory AMG wheels are prone to cracks... :nix:

Okay, we need to get a list of people who have had this issue with these specific wheels and this must be addressed by Mercedes-Benz AMG.

It is simply unsafe to be driving around on these wheels.

Let's put a list together and we will need to write a letter, along with pictures.

MJ50 02-03-2009 11:28 AM

1. Oxygen
2. MJ50

though i don't have pictures as mine's already repaired but has scar marks.. :wall:

Oxygen 02-14-2009 12:54 PM

I got some pictures...

http://thegetlucky.com/_upload/img/p0/rim01.jpg

http://thegetlucky.com/_upload/img/p0/rim02.jpg

MJ50 02-14-2009 12:58 PM

wow, that's worse than mine... :eek:

Dogshine 02-14-2009 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Oxygen (Post 3352151)

I the same exact thing happen on some stock cls55 wheels.z

Salerno713 02-14-2009 04:29 PM

try welding it.. I had a hairline crack like that before and after I weld it, it held up pretty good.

sprins 02-14-2009 06:27 PM

I dunno about welding. The whole integrety of the wheel is lost with a crack I suppose. You don't want the whole wheel to disintegrate at 100 MPH.