Sponsored by:

Wood trim varities...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Wood trim varities...

Sorry for starting a post with such a discrete questions, but I couldn't find an answer through a search.

I have a 2004 E55 with a dark (black-ish) birdseye wood. It has a greenish tint to it under light.

What different wood trims came on 2004 E55's?

I ask b/c I compared my trim to the wood on an MP steering wheel and it was slightly off, is this normal, i.e. impossible to get an exact match with an MP wheel? The MP wheel didn't have the same greenish tint as my stock wood trim.

TIA!!!!
Old 02-08-2009, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
I am almost certain there are two varieties of the "bird's eye maple." I have the greenish tinted one as well, but another one I've heard is somewhat grey, though VERY similar.....
Makes it difficult to match - TIMELESS on here is the one that gave me that info when he had a wheel for sale.....
Old 02-08-2009, 07:27 PM

2004 E55
Thanks! Hopefully Timeless or someone else with knowledge can chime in and confirm.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by efivefiveamg
Sorry for starting a post with such a discrete questions, but I couldn't find an answer through a search.

I have a 2004 E55 with a dark (black-ish) birdseye wood. It has a greenish tint to it under light.

What different wood trims came on 2004 E55's?

I ask b/c I compared my trim to the wood on an MP steering wheel and it was slightly off, is this normal, i.e. impossible to get an exact match with an MP wheel? The MP wheel didn't have the same greenish tint as my stock wood trim.

TIA!!!!

Its Impossible to get a perfect match on ANY Wood as the part on the car has faded from sunlight.

When I worked for Mercedes we replaced several items under warranty and the New replacement wood item was way off from the old part

On The W211 E55 Stock wood trim was either Black Birds Eye Maple or Brown Wood

Optional choices were Designo Packages

The MP Steering wheel is a aftermarket item and if its close they did a great job matching it ..again if you have a Used car your wood has faded
Old 02-08-2009, 09:40 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by MARK CUMMINS
Its Impossible to get a perfect match on ANY Wood as the part on the car has faded from sunlight.

When I worked for Mercedes we replaced several items under warranty and the New replacement wood item was way off from the old part

On The W211 E55 Stock wood trim was either Black Birds Eye Maple or Brown Wood

Optional choices were Designo Packages

The MP Steering wheel is a aftermarket item and if its close they did a great job matching it ..again if you have a Used car your wood has faded
Thanks, Mark.

I always appreciate your input. At first I assumed the difference in color was attributable to fading of my stock wood.

But then what should I make of jpohl's response above? Is it in fact not the case that the black birds eye maple came in different "tones" (if you will)?

Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
https://mbworld.org/forums/interior-...eye-black.html

Scroll down to #9........
Old 02-08-2009, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
I Have to look on the EPC for different Shades or Color Names on different years of the 211
But I have seen different shades of the Wood be it Black Birds Eye Maple or another Name on the 211s But when I replaced the wood on my 210 I went from brown wood to The Black Birds Eye Maple the choice was simple only one to pick from
Old 02-08-2009, 10:34 PM

2004 E55
Now I'm definitely confused. My local dealership is completely useless when it comes to inquiries (they only know how to input a part number into the computer).

Any and all clarifications are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 E55
I think Mark Cummins explanation sounds more correct, though I don't have any proof.

It just sounds silly that MB would offer up two different wood trim options that are almost completely indiscernible... Unless of course the wood "color" changed over the years; kinda like many manufacturers will use different flakes of silver metallic paint over model runs.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:58 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
the wood comes in different shades from factory...some panels are brighter, some darker, some greenish and some grayish...it is all black birdseye maple with the same optioncode

brown burlwood also comes in many different varieties

time in the sun doesn't do the woodcolors much good either

If you get into a brandnew car at the dealership and have a good look at all the woodpieces you will see that those already have colormatching issues...whatever you order in a later stage (OEM or aftermarket) will most probably differ in color (and if it doesn't, you were just plain lucky).

If you want a car with which you can order wood in the exact same color then what you have, you need to get a maybach for which mercedes left some wood on the shelf incase needed in the future.

greetingz,
Old 02-09-2009, 12:11 PM

2004 E55
We can always depend on Steve to impart thread-locking wisdom.

Thx!
Old 02-09-2009, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
The black in black birds eye comes from the black dye used and wood will absorb the dye in different amounts.

The trim pieces aren't made from the same parts of the tree or even same tree resulting in different shades and patterns of the wood. Viewing the wood from different angles or in different light could show even more variances in color.