W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

In Car Video - Sideways at speed on Ice at AMG Winter Sporting Sweden

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
In Car Video - Sideways at speed on Ice at AMG Winter Sporting Sweden

Hi guys

I know this is a bit OT but since most of my buddies are here I thought that I would post it here...

I attended the AMG Winter Sporting (ice-driving) Academy in Arjeplog Sweden for the 2nd time at the end of January this year. Last year I did it with the launch of the new C63's and it was televised on speed in their program "fire and Ice".

Here is a shot of me at speed in the SLK at this years event

The event takes place just south of the arctic circle in Arjeplog Sweden - it is covered with frozen lakes and temps drop to 60 below freezing. The lakes are groomed every day so you are on pure ice (like a Zamboni groomed ice rink). Every week about 1800 test drivers arrive to test components / tires / cars etc. and alll the WRC Rally teams do their winter testing there.

Here are some videos that I took in a variety of AMG's (SLK55, C63, CLK 63 Coupe). They were shot with a SONY HD single chip cam. This is the same video setup that I use in my Spec Miata race car, but not having the roll cage makes it a challenge to mount the camera. I ended up mounting the camera upside down, attached to either the windscreen, the sunroof or the rear window, depending on the car I was driving, using a simple suction mount, and then flipped the video in Premiere Pro editing software.

The original HD video quality is exceptional, but has been reduced to 720x480 at 1024kbps for faster viewing online. Beware, the files are still large at around 40 – 60MB each. You can click to view (it will stream from my webserver) but you might find it easier to “right click > save as” to download to your hard drive and view at your leisure.

I suggest you watch them in order as it shows the difference between the basic and the pro course. (Basic = shared car. Pro Course = solo + faster + "ice taxi")

The first two are taken on the 2nd day of the Basic Course with Tom Fowler and I sharing a car. You will see what two giggling kids are all about.

The third video is me chasing Roland, my instructor, on the drift circle, who almost rear-ends another student, and gives him a big fright. The fourth video is driving the Ice Taxi with Bernd Schneider (4X DTM Champion) as my instructor. I swear I was born to drive this car. Two weeks later and I am still living off the high!!!

Once again – if you are a motoring enthusiast, love AMG's, have a need for speed, and like getting it sideways, hear me now........ attending this program in Sweden is something you HAVE TO DO BEFORE YOU DIE, and you should, do it several times if you get the chance. - Their were seven of us from the US over for this week.

ENJOY!

www.dannysteyn.com/video/2009-amg-winter-sporting-basic-nurburgring-out-lap.wmv

www.dannysteyn.com/video/2009-amg-winter-sporting-basic-brno-ascari-nurburgring.wmv

www.dannysteyn.com/video/2009-amg-winter-sporting-pro-drift-circle-fun.wmv

www.dannysteyn.com/video/2009-amg-winter-sporting-pro-ice-taxi-bernd-schneider.wmv
Old 02-09-2009, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Originally Posted by siswati
Here is a shot of me at speed in the SLK at this years event
What's the option code for the red x version of the SLK? Does it have so much more power that it's blindingly fast and cameras can't capture it?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
great vids thanks for posting them!

looks like a fantastic experience
Old 02-09-2009, 12:09 PM

'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
What's the option code for the red x version of the SLK? Does it have so much more power that it's blindingly fast and cameras can't capture it?
Sorry bfnnrgn that you cannot see the SLK image - it could be that your server environment is blocking my domain IP. My webserver hosts my photography website and much of my photography is glamour / boudoir /nude and some of my buddies have informed me that they cannot access my website at work - so I suspect that there are servers have my IP blacklisted!!!