W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car running terrible. Random misfire codes...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 02:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 E55
Yeah I did actually, you were right. I don't quite like it either haha. I'm more concerned with the sound at the moment though, as I live in a very quiet neighborhood and it appears that I'm going to be grounded to the house during night hours for fear of waking up the neighbors. I will most definitely have to get something back in there - cats or resonators - funds permitting of course.

I do still have a minor issue though; it looks like I spoke a little too soon . I am getting a random misfire on cylinder 5. I drove the car around for a while tonight to see if I could instigate a CEL for the cat missing, but all i ended up with is a misfire on cylinder 5 and limp mode haha. So I cleared the code, and went driving again and everything was fine til the code came back then the car went into limp mode again. This time I decided to leave the code in there and so far the car hasn't gone into limp mode, but I hate seeing that CEL on.

Tomorrow I am going to double-triple check the connections at cylinder 5, then I'm going to swap the coil pack to another cylinder and see if the misfire code follows.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by chiromikey
glad you got things taken care of. i'm sure the plugs probably would have looked fine if it wasn't for the cat failure.

how does the car feel now without any cats? did you lose a lot of low/mid range tq?
I think whatever problem he is having with the missfire...both the fouled plugs and the bad cats are the results of the problem....not the cause of the problem. The missfire is causing the unburned fuel to enter the catalytic converter and ignites there...which can cause a meltdown. This can be the result of a number of things... incorrect fuel mixture, timing, bad spark plugs, faulty oxygen sensor, or a faulty fuel injector. Since the plugs are new...time to check the other stuff.

Tom
Old 02-27-2009, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by TMC M5
I think whatever problem he is having with the missfire...both the fouled plugs and the bad cats are the results of the problem....not the cause of the problem. The missfire is causing the unburned fuel to enter the catalytic converter and ignites there...which can cause a meltdown. This can be the result of a number of things... incorrect fuel mixture, timing, bad spark plugs, faulty oxygen sensor, or a faulty fuel injector. Since the plugs are new...time to check the other stuff.

Tom
I wanted to maybe check on the O2 sensors, but I don't know of a way to check them short of replacing them. And those puppies ain't exactly cheap
Old 02-27-2009, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by TMC M5

Tom
i'm of a differing opinion but your theory is most certainly possible.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Weird, I word search through this whole thread and noone has brought up the "c" word yet.

At what point will you get a compression test on the car?????

Sorry to doom and gloom you, but it is a possibility.

Also, are you running an aftermarket tune??

**only reason I was pushing for compression test is that if you cracked something, you are basically driving around and notching the block up and down. No joke.....happened more than once over the years with these cars.

Last edited by Jakpro1; 02-27-2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: carify
Old 02-27-2009, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ouch! that's because we're all optimists jim...don't even suggest that!
Old 02-27-2009, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
i'm of a differing opinion but your theory is most certainly possible.
It is all good..

Tom
Old 02-27-2009, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

btw bobgodd, can you have someone reset the spark adaptives with star? it's a procedure that isn't always necessary after a spark plug change but it might be in your case.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
btw bobgodd, can you have someone reset the spark adaptives with star? it's a procedure that isn't always necessary after a spark plug change but it might be in your case.
I'm sure I can find someone to do it. Is it an easy job, or something that the dealer has to do?
Old 02-27-2009, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bobgodd
I'm sure I can find someone to do it. Is it an easy job, or something that the dealer has to do?
i don't have one so i don't know...but anyone familiar with their star machine should be able to do it in a few minutes.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Argh. I'm trying to avoid paying for as much as possible haha. I guess I should get off my lazy **** and try swapping those coils around..

BTW, are these "spark adaptives" something that the computer will learn over time?

Last edited by bobgodd; 02-27-2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: ebonics
Old 02-27-2009, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Small update.

I went in and reseated the ignition wires on cylinder 5 and then cleared the code then went for a drive. Went on a decent little drive, about 60ish miles, with mixed driving. So far, she's running smooth and no CEL. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bobgodd
Argh. I'm trying to avoid paying for as much as possible haha. I guess I should get off my lazy **** and try swapping those coils around..

BTW, are these "spark adaptives" something that the computer will learn over time?
yes, it will learn...but i don't know how long. hopefully you got everything all sorted out!