Sponsored by:

Goodbye E55, hello Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
Congrats on the car John you're going to love it. Quite a bit of options (and some that are std. on the TT) - you may not be that far off from a TT but if you wanted PDK you don't have a choice.

I guess if it's your DD and you live in NY you really need the 4S. The C2S is an even better drivers car. Get yourself a set of winter wheels/tires and you'll be all set.

The only thing on your options list that you may want to add (sorry to spend your money LOL) is the leather center console. You've already ordered the storage bin, which is stitched on the sides. Getting the center console will tie that whole one piece together (see pic of mine). Otherwise the std. center console is plastic and your storage bin will just end, if that makes sense. I would do away with the parking sensors and use that money for the center console.

Finally, the "thicker sport steering wheel" is much nicer than the std. wheel - way too thin. Not sure if you can get it heated but not sure how big a deal that is to you. I'd rather have a nicer feeling wheel in my hands.

Can't wait to see pics.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Manufacturer
Congrats and enjoy!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 11:40 AM

14-F Sport, 07-CLS63 2003-HUMMER 2004-Suburban 2008-MAX 2005-YZF R1
Originally Posted by JohnAMG
In my area that money will get you a large gunite pool(maybe a infiniti pool), waterfall, slide, fence and serious landscaping. For my soon-to-be-pool, the fence, 195 linear foot, will run another $6800 and $6000 estimated landscape charge(nothing to fancy but easy to maintain).

John
I was told to stay away from the inside liner pools Especially in the Cold areas. I live in Northern Maryland. I also am putting in a pool and I would love to get alittle more info so PM me if you don't mind.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 996 Turbo, 05 CLK55 AMG
Love the car !!!

Originally Posted by Vic55
John, here is what you are gonna here once you get that Guards Red all done up:

"Wow I really dont like or never been a fan of red but I love your car"

I think I heard it about 5 times at a recent meet at the Oakley HQ. Silvers, Blacks, and even Whites are saturating the P car market. And you will love the DCT- its so amazing in its shift speeds and process. Welcome to world of incredible good handling too!!

Any mods planned? (drop, engine kinks)

Here is a shot of Pcar from the meet:

Old 03-17-2009, 01:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Originally Posted by cte430
Congrats on the car John you're going to love it. Quite a bit of options (and some that are std. on the TT) - you may not be that far off from a TT but if you wanted PDK you don't have a choice.

I guess if it's your DD and you live in NY you really need the 4S. The C2S is an even better drivers car. Get yourself a set of winter wheels/tires and you'll be all set.

The only thing on your options list that you may want to add (sorry to spend your money LOL) is the leather center console. You've already ordered the storage bin, which is stitched on the sides. Getting the center console will tie that whole one piece together (see pic of mine). Otherwise the std. center console is plastic and your storage bin will just end, if that makes sense. I would do away with the parking sensors and use that money for the center console.

Finally, the "thicker sport steering wheel" is much nicer than the std. wheel - way too thin. Not sure if you can get it heated but not sure how big a deal that is to you. I'd rather have a nicer feeling wheel in my hands.

Can't wait to see pics.

Thanks for the advice. I called the dealer and did just that. I added the leather center console and removed the voice control. I kept the parking sensor because I have young children at home and wanted to be save.

John
Old 03-17-2009, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Thanks for the advice. I called the dealer and did just that. I added the leather center console and removed the voice control. I kept the parking sensor because I have young children at home and wanted to be save.

John
Great, you'll be glad you did. Now, since you did that there's one more small item to really finish it off LOL. Seriously, this one is cheap but I know a lot of guys who missed this (easy to do seeing how confusing porsche's options list is) and kick themselves.

Option CDZ "gear lever trim in leather". The piece right in front of the shifter boot. Again, finishes off the whole center console, otherwise your left with a piece of plastic. I think it's about $200 or so. Here's a pic.

There's lots more leather if you'd like any more suggestions

Old 03-17-2009, 03:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E55 C43 993C2S
Join the list....http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...rbo-forum-139/
Old 03-17-2009, 03:08 PM

3 Porsche rotation
Great, you'll be glad you did. Now, since you did that there's one more small item to really finish it off LOL. Seriously, this one is cheap but I know a lot of guys who missed this (easy to do seeing how confusing porsche's options list is) and kick themselves.

Option CDZ "gear lever trim in leather". The piece right in front of the shifter boot. Again, finishes off the whole center console, otherwise your left with a piece of plastic. I think it's about $200 or so. Here's a pic.

There's lots more leather if you'd like any more suggestions

OK, this is the last recommendation I will take I am getting poorer as the day goes on. Honestly your suggestions are excellent and I can't thank you enough. I do have one question, how is the rear visibility in the 997?

John
Old 03-17-2009, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
OK, this is the last recommendation I will take I am getting poorer as the day goes on. Honestly your suggestions are excellent and I can't thank you enough. I do have one question, how is the rear visibility in the 997?

John
Visibility out of the porsche is excellent - especially when compared to other sports cars. Trust me, there are few cars that have the overall package down as well, and this is what's sustained the car for so many years.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
Emjoy! Personally, I wouldn't have done it, not for a C4S. I think you'll miss the E55 as a DD and miss the power. I have an 04 996TT X50 which I love, but if I could only have one, it would be the E55.

Course I'd miss the convertible
Old 04-11-2009, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
We are fortunate to be able to drive these two cars. The C4S will have lots of usable power, although I must say I quite enjoy the luxury of the E, overall quieter cabin.

Usually pick the AWD car when it rains or snows, and the E when it's dry with traction not being an issue.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
I traded it my 01 c4 for this e55. I know it's older then the nice ones you guys are buying but it was a great fun car. Powerwise there is no comparison. I am in the market right now for a 993tt as a third car. I love the look and wouldn't mind having one as a driver. I hope you're happy w/the c4s- I personally would have gone for an 996 turbo.

Last edited by itsmeek; 04-11-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
Originally Posted by itsmeek
I traded it my 01 c4s for this e55. I know it's older then the nice ones you guys are buying but it was a great fun car. Powerwise there is no comparison. I am in the market right now for a 993tt as a third car. I love the look and wouldn't mind having one as a driver. I hope you're happy w/the c4s- I personally would have gone for an 996 turbo.
That was my thought too. That's why I did buy a 996 Turbo
Old 04-11-2009, 08:49 PM

ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
I would recommend....

that no one ever test drive a 911 turbo ;-)
Old 04-12-2009, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
I got a 8% discount off MSRP and was satisfy with the price for a order car. What do you guys think? This is the first time I venture outside of Mercedes.

John
The C4S is a great car and I think you will love it. Especially with the PDK transmission as it really is a great gearbox. I can't wait for a twin turbo or GT2 with that box!

Some Porsche Exclusive options that you may want to add to your list:

Deviated Stitching (red looks good in a red car and is subtle)
Sport Steering Wheel
Aluminum Look Dials (gauge faces)
Red Belts
Embossed logo on leather center console cover

Nothing makes a Porsche like a long and expensive list of options and it can get crazy fast. I had $30K+ in options on my GT3 but it was GORGEOUS inside. The funny thing is that for $30K+, I didn't have any of the garish carbon or interior painted bits. Porsche build sheets are not for the weak!
Old 04-12-2009, 10:25 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by 155
That's going to be one hellava ride! Personally I would've done a MT for a P-car but I hear the PDK is amazing and technically superior (read: faster shifting)...

Did you consider the aero kit? Or is that too over-the-top for you?
I know, I feel the same way. There's just something that doesn't sit right about a Porsche without a stick...

Still, the PDK is sweet!
Old 04-12-2009, 02:29 PM

3 Porsche rotation
Here is an update for my pursue of a Porsche. I decided to take another C4S in inventory. It arrived at the dealership this week and I will picking it up next week. I have attached some photo for your critique. I not quite sure about the wheels and considering swapping out for the standard Carrera S II wheel. But the problem is the dealer only have them for Carerra S. The front wheels are the same offset comparing the C4S, but the rear is different. Carrera S use 67 offset compare to 51 of C4S. So for the swap to work I will need to install Porsche 17mm spacer. Do you guys think it is a good idea to run on large spacer? Or I should keep what I have.

As for missing the power of E55. It is true I will miss the power and the torque, but after test driving in PDK, sports chrono in sports plus setting, it will replace that thought. At 385 HP, 0-60 4.3 seconds, great handling, all wheel drive and 25 MPG/HWY will do for this 41 year old kid. One thing I wouldn't miss is the moderate body roll during corning of my E55. After so many years in 4 door sedan I just need a change. This Porsche will be a keeper like my old 2001 E55. I already promised my 5 year old son he can have this car when he grows up.

John
Attached Thumbnails Goodbye E55, hello Porsche-c4s-009.jpg   Goodbye E55, hello Porsche-c4s-010.jpg   Goodbye E55, hello Porsche-c4s-013-1.jpg   Goodbye E55, hello Porsche-c4s-015.jpg  

Last edited by JohnAMG; 04-12-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Sweet!! you're going to love it John
Old 04-12-2009, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by Blacksport350
The C4S is a great car and I think you will love it. Especially with the PDK transmission as it really is a great gearbox. I can't wait for a twin turbo or GT2 with that box!

Some Porsche Exclusive options that you may want to add to your list:

Deviated Stitching (red looks good in a red car and is subtle)
Sport Steering Wheel
Aluminum Look Dials (gauge faces)
Red Belts
Embossed logo on leather center console cover

Nothing makes a Porsche like a long and expensive list of options and it can get crazy fast. I had $30K+ in options on my GT3 but it was GORGEOUS inside. The funny thing is that for $30K+, I didn't have any of the garish carbon or interior painted bits. Porsche build sheets are not for the weak!
Same here - about 30k in options. I'm also not a fan of huge amounts of CF but I went with the two basic packages and I think it looks great. Just enough, but not over the top.

I think it's great that porsche gives you the ability to keep it bare bones or to have every surface covered in leather if you want LOL. There's nothing that pisses me off more than seeing other manufacturers offer their car with "packages". There's almost always things in the package that I don't want, but forced to take it becasue I want something else.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
Just out of curiosity, why did you get the 4 wheel drive? Snow?

The Porsches handle so well now that the 4 wheel drive just slows it down.

Just asking.

Congrats on the car though, I was thinking about trading mine for a 996TT, but they dont have the same torque (and warranty for them is a b****)
Old 04-12-2009, 09:26 PM

3 Porsche rotation
Originally Posted by W211 BEAST
Just out of curiosity, why did you get the 4 wheel drive? Snow?

The Porsches handle so well now that the 4 wheel drive just slows it down.

Just asking.

Congrats on the car though, I was thinking about trading mine for a 996TT, but they dont have the same torque (and warranty for them is a b****)
It is for snow driving during winter. Even though my office is only 3 miles but the when it snowed just about everyday past winter my E55 with Blizzak tires just weren't enough. all wheel drive Porsche is perfect for a guy approaching middle age crisis BTW the all wheel drive doesn't slow the car down that much. It is about 0.1 second slower than the C2S and couple miles less at top speed.

John

Last edited by JohnAMG; 04-12-2009 at 09:33 PM. Reason: need for info
Old 04-12-2009, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
It is for snow driving during winter. Even though my office is only 3 miles but the when it snowed just about everyday past winter my E55 with Blizzak tires just weren't enough. all wheel drive Porsche is perfect for a guy approaching middle age crisis BTW the all wheel drive doesn't slow the car down that much. It is about 0.1 second slower than the C2S and couple miles less at top speed.

John
Thanks for the response. I know it doesn slow it down by much, its just that back in the day people used to get the 4WD so the car would handle better, resulting in quicker lap times, but thats not needed anymore because of how well these cars handle now.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Same here - about 30k in options. I'm also not a fan of huge amounts of CF but I went with the two basic packages and I think it looks great. Just enough, but not over the top.

I think it's great that porsche gives you the ability to keep it bare bones or to have every surface covered in leather if you want LOL. There's nothing that pisses me off more than seeing other manufacturers offer their car with "packages". There's almost always things in the package that I don't want, but forced to take it becasue I want something else.
Yup. gotta love Porsche. Sounds like I had almost the same as you, pretty much every plastic surface covered in leather including the vent housings, etc. The only thing that was missed was the storage bin lid in leather with embossed logo and it stood out like a sore thumb.