W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade from 03 E55 to 07 E63 or Not ...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E63
Upgrade from 03 E55 to 07 E63 or Not ...HELP!!!

Hi all from down-under

I read almost every day an only occasionally post but was wondering if I could get some help please.

I have an 03 E55 with only 41kms. Completely stock and never missed a beat.

I need to decide now whether to buy a new 3 year extended warranty or .....

other option is trade in on 07 E63 with 33Kms.

I own the 55 outright and was thinking of freeing up some cash and leasing the E63.

So my question to all is will I enjoy an E63 as much as the E55?
Old 03-19-2009, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Dan-the-Man
Hi all from down-under

I read almost every day an only occasionally post but was wondering if I could get some help please.

I have an 03 E55 with only 41kms. Completely stock and never missed a beat.

I need to decide now whether to buy a new 3 year extended warranty or .....

other option is trade in on 07 E63 with 33Kms.

I own the 55 outright and was thinking of freeing up some cash and leasing the E63.

So my question to all is will I enjoy an E63 as much as the E55?
Both in stock form, the E63 is definitely every bit as enjoyable as the E55. However, if you have your heart set on modding the car and maybe extracting some more power, then do not move to the 63 platform. The E55 is much easier and cheaper to mod, and the supercharger escalates the fun factor exponentially when modded. But if you don't intended to mod, then definitely go for the E63. It's a newer car with more updated looks and will be covered under warranty.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:47 AM

A Car
i'd go for the newer car
Old 03-19-2009, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
This is an intensely discussed subject here. Very few 55 members have gone to 63s, and few 63 owners come from 55s. I say few, not none. They are very different engines with different philosophies. Every owner is different and honestly no matter what anyone says - the only way to find out is to drive a 63. Not for just a few kilometers either... really take one out and experience it. It's the only way to really know.

-m
Old 03-19-2009, 12:57 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 GLE 63 S Coupe 2020 E 63 S
I drove both extensively before buying my 05 E55. IMO, the 63 is much more luxurious, smoother, more forgiving quieter, easier to drive car.

the 55 is a much more like a true performance sedan, the supercharger clutch engagement to some is a nuisance, to me and others it is a just a warm up of the beasts furry about to be unleashed. The 55 is much more easier to mod, easier platform to upgrade power.

just my .02 cents.

both are awesome cars, just depends what you like. I actually wish I could own both, one for the race track and one for day to day driving. e55 and e63 respectively.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
if you bought your 55 new then i would keep it, i just dont like that fact of buying a used car you never know what happened before no matter what.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211,E90,E66,E39,E38,NSX,Z32-TT
I'm sure there's a lot of valid reasons to "upgrade" to a E63. But in the end, you're going to spend a lot of money for this upgrade. Basically what you end up is really the same car for the most part.

Why don't you just keep the E55, and spent a few grand to buy an extended warranty. Or spend a few grand and get a LET Tune, Pulley, and H/E so that you can go all crazy!!
Old 03-19-2009, 01:43 AM

07 E63
I have no intention to mod it. As much as I would like there is no one down here that has the experience or backup like you have in the US.

If I get time tomorrow I may go for a drive to see what the initial difference feels like.

There are a few annoying things on my 03 .... Nav doesn't work for one.

Also my decision to upgrade would free up some cash and turn a private vehicle into a company lease vehicle. I own the company and would then fall into the change every 3 years cycle etc etc.............

The flip side is a warranty is only $1550NZ (thats $800USD ish) for 3 years. That is one hell of a bargain. I only have 41K's on it and it is fairly good nic.

Thanks for the help so far
Old 03-19-2009, 01:48 AM

07 E63
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Both in stock form, the E63 is definitely every bit as enjoyable as the E55. However, if you have your heart set on modding the car and maybe extracting some more power, then do not move to the 63 platform. The E55 is much easier and cheaper to mod, and the supercharger escalates the fun factor exponentially when modded. But if you don't intended to mod, then definitely go for the E63. It's a newer car with more updated looks and will be covered under warranty.
No modding so both would stay stock ......... I don't get to drive it hard often but I know I would kick myself if the power difference was easily noticeable. I love the pants kick the 55 gives between 0-100.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Love the 55, But, 63 is newer and nicer.

Last edited by Max.H; 03-19-2009 at 03:43 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
I have no intention to mod it. As much as I would like there is no one down here that has the experience or backup like you have in the US.

If I get time tomorrow I may go for a drive to see what the initial difference feels like.

There are a few annoying things on my 03 .... Nav doesn't work for one.

Also my decision to upgrade would free up some cash and turn a private vehicle into a company lease vehicle. I own the company and would then fall into the change every 3 years cycle etc etc.............

The flip side is a warranty is only $1550NZ (thats $800USD ish) for 3 years. That is one hell of a bargain. I only have 41K's on it and it is fairly good nic.

Thanks for the help so far
I believe Powerchip is based in Australia and they do ECU tunes for very reasonable prices.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:49 PM

07 E63
Originally Posted by Timeless
I believe Powerchip is based in Australia and they do ECU tunes for very reasonable prices.
hmmmm ...... warranty and chip ......... maybe, I am happy with keeping things stock ...... I used to race in a GT series down here and am happy with keeping it on the track. Our roads are crap compared to most places so nowhere safe to really open her up. Actually more twisties that are world class in NZ but that would mean I should look at the dark side which will never happen.

I'll go for a drive this morning and see what I feel from there. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
No modding so both would stay stock ......... I don't get to drive it hard often but I know I would kick myself if the power difference was easily noticeable. I love the pants kick the 55 gives between 0-100.
If you won't mod it, which seems like you will since you haven't mod it your E55 after owning it for 6 years, then I'd definitely go for the E63.....

- Nicer interior with alacantra roof lining.
- Updated command and navigation unit.
- Updated instrument cluster with more features.
- Updated brakes, suspension, and steering parts than your 2003 model.
- Updated front-end exterior which looks much sportier and definitely "fresher".
- More warranty available.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:53 PM

07 E63
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
If you won't mod it, which seems like you will since you haven't mod it your E55 after owning it for 6 years, then I'd definitely go for the E63.....

- Nicer interior with alacantra roof lining.
- Updated command and navigation unit.
- Updated instrument cluster with more features.
- Updated brakes, suspension, and steering parts than your 2003 model.
- Updated front-end exterior which looks much sportier and definitely "fresher".
- More warranty available.
Thanks MB ................. definitely unlikely to modify so yes fresher looks and features will be what sways this ............. cheers
Old 03-19-2009, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by AZIPOD
I'm sure there's a lot of valid reasons to "upgrade" to a E63. But in the end, you're going to spend a lot of money for this upgrade. Basically what you end up is really the same car for the most part.

Why don't you just keep the E55, and spent a few grand to buy an extended warranty. Or spend a few grand and get a LET Tune, Pulley, and H/E so that you can go all crazy!!
I think he really hit the nail on the head... If you are looking for a newer car, then you probably want to upgrade anyways, but it might be a very expensive upgrade in which you will end up with VIRTUALLY the same car. It's like selling your 03 for 30K, then buying another 03 for 50K. I know the cars aren't identical but they're very similar... Might not be the greatest analogy, but that's how I would view it.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E63, 2008 Range Rover Sport, 2010 GLK350
E55s have alcantra also....At least mine does and I thought they all did?
And the steering parts changed in 2005. But valid point since his a a 2003.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:43 AM

07 E63
Have the 63 for the night .......... Had a quick squirt round some twisties and on the freeway ............. positive points so far
Power feels similar.
Brakes are noticeably better.
Handling noticeably better.
Ipod input, mp3 playback, navigation that works, dvd player.
back seats fold down (my old E500 had these ... loved this feature)
Wife likes black on black (63) more than silver on black (55)
Negative points ..............
No bluetooth cell phone
Very similar to what I have.

Jury's still out but will see what tomorrow brings ...... will probably depend on the overall deal.

Thanks for all the help so far.