W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible coilover/air setup for W211 55's...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
Possible coilover/air setup for W211 55's...

So I was talking to Platinum VIP. It's a shop in SoCal. They have (exclusive rights?) a coilover setup that may fit on our W211. To boot, sitting atop the coilovers is a metal cylinder that is, I think, not air nor fluid driven. Although I think it must've been air. Regardless, what that system does that it allows for you to set your coils to a certain level and then have the ability to raise the car up or down and to actually drive on it unlike some systems that don't allow you to stay up for more than just going over a speed bump.

What do you guys think about it? They have done that system on several cars. It's call the Phantom Cup Kit.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4-xNXQYB4J...jpg_2_kjya.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4-xNXQYB4J...hure_jpg_3.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4-xNXQYB4J...hure_jpg_4.jpg
http://www.platinumvipmotors.com/
Old 03-19-2009, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211e55
it looks good, but if the ride is still like a boat then it's pretty much useless....IMO ...
Old 03-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by The Godfather
So I was talking to Platinum VIP. It's a shop in SoCal. They have (exclusive rights?) a coilover setup that may fit on our W211. To boot, sitting atop the coilovers is a metal cylinder that is, I think, not air nor fluid driven. Although I think it must've been air. Regardless, what that system does that it allows for you to set your coils to a certain level and then have the ability to raise the car up or down and to actually drive on it unlike some systems that don't allow you to stay up for more than just going over a speed bump.
That's not really a handling solution, it's a ride height solution so you can slam your car for the show, then lift it to drive home
Old 03-19-2009, 09:28 AM

2004 E55 Silver Pewter Metallic
It is an air ride set up. It is becoming very popular in the volkswagen scene. A friend of mine just finished installing a similar kit on his volkswagen golf and it rides amazing. Basically is is the same concept as our factory airmatic although it gives you the ability to raise and lower the car as much as you like as well as drive it as low or as high as you like. At first i thought that it would bounce and ride like sh&* although it rides no different then our cars. It is stiff but not as harsh as a coilover. If this is available to our cars there is no doubt in my mind that I will be purchasing a set. I always have the fear in the back of my mind that my airmatic will go and it will cost a fortune to fix......i guess we now have a remedy and still be on the floor
Old 03-19-2009, 09:29 AM

A4, M3, 996, E55
I'd like to see a good coilover setup for these cars too in the event I have an airmatic failure and the coilovers are a reasonably priced alternative.

However, I like the fact that the E55 rides like a boat and handles like crap. That's why I bought it. I've got a 2900lb car with 950lb/in springs in it that I drive when I want something that handles well.

Andy
Old 03-19-2009, 10:05 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Would be interesting to see this setup.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by E55Pilot
That's not really a handling solution, it's a ride height solution so you can slam your car for the show, then lift it to drive home
you miss the fact that you'd be rocking a coilover setup that would be a million times better than the airmatic setup. I suppose what needs to be found out is if we can use something like a set of PSS9 on our cars and then rock that thing on top.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Also in case of the air ride failure, there are a few o rings backups that would save the ride height. In the worse case scenario, you'd be rolling at the lowest point of your coilover setup, which would still allow you to drive home, whereas with the airmatic, you're done.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:57 AM

w211e55
that's a great idea godfather ...

is our suspension share the same idea as the lambo ? because I saw the kw setup with the resevoir that can be use in lambo...I believe I saw it on the modified luxury magazine a while back
Old 03-19-2009, 10:59 AM

w211e55
I just read your airride article ...they're using the JIC coilover...that's a great coilover ...
Old 03-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Banned

2004 E55
you miss the fact that you'd be rocking a coilover setup that would be a million times better than the airmatic setup. I suppose what needs to be found out is if we can use something like a set of PSS9 on our cars and then rock that thing on top.
PSS9's???? wow you have low standards
Old 03-19-2009, 11:02 AM

2004 E55 Silver Pewter Metallic
You are absolutely correct. In the event that the air bag fails we would still have the coilover to rely on. The more i think of it the more I want it. It is pricy though. My buddy spent $1200 on the coilovers then another $2000 in air ride equipment. Believe it or not there is alot involved with converting it and who know what it will take on our cars without causing faults and other issues. [/I]
Old 03-20-2009, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
PSS9's???? wow you have low standards
stfu, eat a dick and gtfo my thread.

Originally Posted by dblnikel
You are absolutely correct. In the event that the air bag fails we would still have the coilover to rely on. The more i think of it the more I want it. It is pricy though. My buddy spent $1200 on the coilovers then another $2000 in air ride equipment. Believe it or not there is alot involved with converting it and who know what it will take on our cars without causing faults and other issues. [/I]
Well short of doing that air setup atop the coilovers, what we should figure out if how to get coilovers done on the car in the first place. VRP hello? Come on already! The airmatic rides TERRIBLE, and aftering coming from my S4 AWD (Quattro) and PSS9 suspension, it makes me so sad not to be able to get the full potential out of the E55.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
What do you intend to do about the electronics?

I hate these threads. Buy an M5. What am I gonna do with coil overs on an E55?
Old 03-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
And please don't say you want better handling guys, since many of you are running 20" rims with 245 tires.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Banned

2004 E55
stfu, eat a dick and gtfo my thread.
Typical response of someone that doesn't have a decent argument.

The PSS9's are fine for a ricer, but it's not a great Setup. If you want a great setup you go with Moton, Ohlins, Sachs Racing, or Penske. PSS9's are the monroe sensatrack of coilovers
Old 03-20-2009, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Jangy, I want my w211 to handle as good as my w210 at least. I don't feel confident in tv current setup. As for the electronics I have no idea. I thought the only thing was the ride height/sport adjustments....

E55pilot have you ever owned a car with a set of pss9 or any of the other ones you mentionned? The pss9 or pss10 now as I've seen, are far from being ricey. Don't speak of something you know nothing about. I don't deny that there are other better setup out there but the pss9 is very good and far from ghetto.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Banned

2004 E55
E55pilot have you ever owned a car with a set of pss9 or any of the other ones you mentionned? The pss9 or pss10 now as I've seen, are far from being ricey. Don't speak of something you know nothing about. I don't deny that there are other better setup out there but the pss9 is very good and far from ghetto.
I know them very well and I know the others very well. PSS9's are lo end. Any adjustable shock that you can't get at the Valves, Shim Stack and needle valves is low end and will never match the performance a damper that you can get at.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Jangy, I want my w211 to handle as good as my w210 at least. I don't feel confident in tv current setup. As for the electronics I have no idea. I thought the only thing was the ride height/sport adjustments....
A lot of information is passed back and forth from those sensors and I'm not sure how the car will react without also swapping out the electronics.

A few years back I remember talk of trying to use the E320 (no airmatic) electronics but I dunno where that got.

You seriously think a 210 handles better? Have you driven an E55 with the 030 package? You may be better off upgrading your current system (add support, revalve, retune, etc.) and still having the active ride. I've always loved the active ride and really only miss coil overs under truly extreme conditions where the airmatic just can't react quickly enough. Short of that, the airmatic rides flat where a coilover would lean and I like flat.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
E55pilot are you a race car chassis designer?

Jangy maybe because I have my ride all beaned out slammed I'm not enjoying the potential of the airmatic. Slammed like I am is not optimal. That's why I wished we could do a coilover setup so I can ride low and retain some performance. Ah the elusive marriage of form and function.

The 55 had the 030? I thought only the 63s did. What does that exactly entail?
Old 03-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Jangy maybe because I have my ride all beaned out slammed I'm not enjoying the potential of the airmatic. Slammed like I am is not optimal. That's why I wished we could do a coilover setup so I can ride low and retain some performance. Ah the elusive marriage of form and function.

The 55 had the 030? I thought only the 63s did. What does that exactly entail?
Got it. Basically the airmatic is no longer in its sweet spot when you are dumped and a coil over could be adjusted for that. Good point.

Yes, 030 components are available for the E55. It was never an option on the E55 but rather an aftermarket upgrade from the motherland. There is a pdf with specs and pricing floating somewhere. The main difference is that the E55 LSD has a 35% lock and the E63 LSD has a 40% lock. But we are talking airmatic. Why couldn't we upgrade some of the parts on the E55 with ones from the CLS or E 63s?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:56 AM

Audi S4
I know them very well and I know the others very well. PSS9's are lo end. Any adjustable shock that you can't get at the Valves, Shim Stack and needle valves is low end and will never match the performance a damper that you can get at.
Another Steadi/Eric Fletcher sounding comment. The guy just wants a more aggressive coilover setup for the street. He's not racing his E55 around a track trying to make a living.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by jangy
A lot of information is passed back and forth from those sensors and I'm not sure how the car will react without also swapping out the electronics.

A few years back I remember talk of trying to use the E320 (no airmatic) electronics but I dunno where that got.

You seriously think a 210 handles better? Have you driven an E55 with the 030 package? You may be better off upgrading your current system (add support, revalve, retune, etc.) and still having the active ride. I've always loved the active ride and really only miss coil overs under truly extreme conditions where the airmatic just can't react quickly enough. Short of that, the airmatic rides flat where a coilover would lean and I like flat.
Jangy,

A MB tech told me that you could simply set the suspension settings in DAS to E320/Steel Suspension that would eliminate any sensor/electronic requirements the DAS needs if you were to take out airmatic? I have never verified this, but have you looked into it?

He said that you could put on PSS9s, Motons, whatever. Couple of changes in the DAS and you'd be on your way?

-m
Old 03-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Jangy,

A MB tech told me that you could simply set the suspension settings in DAS to E320/Steel Suspension that would eliminate any sensor/electronic requirements the DAS needs if you were to take out airmatic? I have never verified this, but have you looked into it?

He said that you could put on PSS9s, Motons, whatever. Couple of changes in the DAS and you'd be on your way?

-m
I haven't heard such a thing. Last I heard is that it was ECU specific but this would really change things. I wonder if there are other settings we could put it in? Something more agressive? DAS ability to define syspension type would be awesome. Then, hardware is easy.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by jangy
I haven't heard such a thing. Last I heard is that it was ECU specific but this would really change things. I wonder if there are other settings we could put it in? Something more agressive? DAS ability to define syspension type would be awesome. Then, hardware is easy.
I have not verified this for myself, but what I was told is that there are parameters for both "steel" and "airmatic" suspension in the W211 ECUs. I believe the airmatic is optional on the E500 but not on the E320, it only has the normal steel configuration. By changing the settings in DAS to steel suspension, it no longer looks for any information/data relating to airmatic.

It makes sense to me, and the guy who told me is a reputable MB tech, but again - not verified. I agree it would really be a big deal if it were true. I was actually told this just yesterday. Maybe some DAS experts can chime in?

-m

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Possible coilover/air setup for W211 55's...