Notices
W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotors. How do I get these things off???????

 
Old 03-21-2009, 11:52 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jupiter, Florida
Posts: 386
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55, 2004 E55(sold), 2001 Viper GTS, 2006 Viper VOI9, 1994 ZR-1 Corvette 2009 Viper ACR,
Rotors. How do I get these things off???????

My rotor hats are looking a bit beat. A few are rusted. So I figured I'd take them off, mask and give them a nice new coat of hi-temp paint... No can do... These things are WELDED on... Any ideas... With the exception of beating them off with a sledge hammer ???
Taximan1 is offline  
Old 03-21-2009, 11:58 AM
  #2  
Out Of Control!!
 
jangy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 13,394
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 S212
Not sure what you mean but the OEM rotors are 1 piece. There is no separate hat.

Are you having issues taking the rotor off? Or getting the hat off?If the rotor, then take the calipers off and remove the rotors.
If trying to separate the rotor, don't
jangy is offline  
Old 03-21-2009, 12:23 PM
  #3  
PLATINUM SPONSOR
 
shardul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 11,457
Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
take a hammer and hit them on the hub, the metal is fused to the hub, hitting it will make it losse so you can get them off.
__________________
E55
Preferred Contact method PM or email [email protected]
Instagram @shardul_amg @ultimatepd
NO TEXT MESSAGES THEY WILL NOT BE REPLIED TO
PLEASE DO NOT SEND MULTIPLE EMAILS /PM WITH THE SAME SUBJECT MATTER. ALL EMAILS / PM WILL BE RESPONDED TO WITHIN 24 HRS.
shardul is offline  
Old 03-21-2009, 12:23 PM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
bassn_07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,077
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Smacking it with a hammer is what my tech did to break the rotors loose. I can't remember exactly where he tapped the rotors at but after a few smacks the rotors came right off.
bassn_07 is offline  
Old 03-21-2009, 12:27 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jupiter, Florida
Posts: 386
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55, 2004 E55(sold), 2001 Viper GTS, 2006 Viper VOI9, 1994 ZR-1 Corvette 2009 Viper ACR,
Originally Posted by jangy View Post
Not sure what you mean but the OEM rotors are 1 piece. There is no separate hat.

Are you having issues taking the rotor off? Or getting the hat off?If the rotor, then take the calipers off and remove the rotors.
If trying to separate the rotor, don't
Ok, so the center hub bolt needs to be removed???

Yes, I realize they are 1 piece and the hat is not seperate. I took the caliper off, and tried of an hour to break it loose. Would not budge.. But I did NOT take the center Hub bolt/ and cap off... Do I need to? There was a single torx bolt in the rotor.. I did remove that. But it does not appear to be holding the rotor on the hub..

I mean, Ive done brakes many times. Often the rotors the pretty well stuck on, due to heat. But these things aint coming off..

Was considering spraying them down with WD-40, and let sit overnight.. But I can't have the car off the road for 2 days. And have yet to find a "safe" way to lift all 4 wheels up on jackstands. So, I'm doing 1 wheel/rotor at a time..

At this point, I gave up and put the car back together. Its not worth that much hassle..
Taximan1 is offline  
Old 03-21-2009, 12:30 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jupiter, Florida
Posts: 386
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55, 2004 E55(sold), 2001 Viper GTS, 2006 Viper VOI9, 1994 ZR-1 Corvette 2009 Viper ACR,
Originally Posted by bassn_07 View Post
Smacking it with a hammer is what my tech did to break the rotors loose. I can't remember exactly where he tapped the rotors at but after a few smacks the rotors came right off.
was thinking about doing this. And would have, if I was replacing the rotors. But I need to get these off and back with no damage.. And I don't see how its possible,
Taximan1 is offline  
Old 03-21-2009, 12:35 PM
  #7  
Out Of Control!!
 
jangy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 13,394
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Taximan1 View Post
Ok, so the center hub bolt needs to be removed???

Yes, I realize they are 1 piece and the hat is not seperate. I took the caliper off, and tried of an hour to break it loose. Would not budge.. But I did NOT take the center Hub bolt/ and cap off... Do I need to? There was a single torx bolt in the rotor.. I did remove that. But it does not appear to be holding the rotor on the hub..

I mean, Ive done brakes many times. Often the rotors the pretty well stuck on, due to heat. But these things aint coming off..

Was considering spraying them down with WD-40, and let sit overnight.. But I can't have the car off the road for 2 days. And have yet to find a "safe" way to lift all 4 wheels up on jackstands. So, I'm doing 1 wheel/rotor at a time..

At this point, I gave up and put the car back together. Its not worth that much hassle..

I didn't have to jar mine loose at all. Have you removed the one bolt that hold the rotor onto the hub? I NEVER took the hub not off.
jangy is offline  
Old 03-21-2009, 12:41 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jupiter, Florida
Posts: 386
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55, 2004 E55(sold), 2001 Viper GTS, 2006 Viper VOI9, 1994 ZR-1 Corvette 2009 Viper ACR,
Originally Posted by jangy View Post
I didn't have to jar mine loose at all. Have you removed the one bolt that hold the rotor onto the hub? I NEVER took the hub not off.
Yes, I did remove the 1 torx bolt to be sure. But it doesnt seem like it "holds" anything together. So, Im not sure you have to..

honestly, I just think they are heat welded on there.. The car is all original, so these have never been off before..

The MB guys REALLY toque down on this stuff.. Had to use a BIG leverage bar, just to break the 2 caliper bolts loose..
Taximan1 is offline  
Old 03-21-2009, 12:42 PM
  #9  
PLATINUM SPONSOR
 
shardul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 11,457
Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Originally Posted by Taximan1 View Post
was thinking about doing this. And would have, if I was replacing the rotors. But I need to get these off and back with no damage.. And I don't see how its possible,
that is why i said hit it on the hub portion of the rotor not the breaking surface.
__________________
E55
Preferred Contact method PM or email [email protected]
Instagram @shardul_amg @ultimatepd
NO TEXT MESSAGES THEY WILL NOT BE REPLIED TO
PLEASE DO NOT SEND MULTIPLE EMAILS /PM WITH THE SAME SUBJECT MATTER. ALL EMAILS / PM WILL BE RESPONDED TO WITHIN 24 HRS.
shardul is offline  
Old 03-21-2009, 12:43 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jupiter, Florida
Posts: 386
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55, 2004 E55(sold), 2001 Viper GTS, 2006 Viper VOI9, 1994 ZR-1 Corvette 2009 Viper ACR,
Originally Posted by shardul View Post
that is why i said hit it on the hub portion of the rotor not the breaking surface.
Ok, thanks... I'll give that a shot, along with some WD-40 I guess.
Taximan1 is offline  
Old 03-21-2009, 12:53 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jupiter, Florida
Posts: 386
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55, 2004 E55(sold), 2001 Viper GTS, 2006 Viper VOI9, 1994 ZR-1 Corvette 2009 Viper ACR,
I just googled this, and found a nice trick. The bad news for me is, this won't work. Because I need to re-use my rotors. "The bolt trick"

Once you remove the caliper. You have 2 nice bolt holes to work with. Take about 4in. bolt through the hole and NUT on the opposite side through the hole, and tighten both.. The bolt will push against the rotor and pop it right off. Many people on another forum claim this work in about 30 seconds, after spending hours with sledgehammers. When you hammer them, the energy does not go the right point.

The bad news is, Im sure this will leave a nasty gouge in your rotor.
Taximan1 is offline  
Old 03-21-2009, 01:59 PM
  #12  
Super Member
 
mkonei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Delran, NJ
Posts: 695
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 C55
i always used a dead blow mallet where the wheel sits against the rotor, and it usually pops right off..
mkonei is offline  
Old 03-21-2009, 02:45 PM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,358
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML550
Agree on beating them with a mallet. Metal if they're being replaced; rubber if you're putting them back on. Once you've remove the small allen head bolts that secure the rotor to the hub, the only thing holding the rotor on is rust and crud. You will find that if you whack the rotor at its outer edges, rotating it about 30 degrees after each whack, it will come off. It's harder to do with a rubber mallet simply because the mallet head doesn't have the same mass as a small sledgehammer type mallet.
komp55 is offline  
Old 03-21-2009, 08:00 PM
  #14  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Murrieta, Southern California
Posts: 783
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Smile Getting the Rotors Off . . .



When I had my W-210 Diesel, the local backyard type Chinese mechanic
at the local gas station knew just how to get 'em off.

He tried with a heavy sledge, but they were rusted on and probably had never been off the car.
The E-300 DT was six years old at that time.

He hit the rotors with good old WD-40 between the axel hub and
the rotors and told me to come back in a couple of days.
I did and he only had to tap each one a couple of times, and they fell right off!

Mr. "T" is one talented mechanic don't you know? I don't think there is anything he can't fix.

Green E-300 DT is offline  
Old 03-21-2009, 08:22 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
gonzjed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North Bergen, NJ
Posts: 330
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
germans
Taximan...spray wd-40 around the small hex nut holding the rotor on and hub to rotor area. Let soak for a few minutes. Remove the small hex nut. NO NEED TO TAKE THE HUB NUT OFF. Smack the end of the rotor face with a RUBBER mallet. The rotor will loosen and maybe fall right off.

The caliper should already be removed...right.?
gonzjed is offline  
Old 03-23-2009, 12:03 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jupiter, Florida
Posts: 386
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55, 2004 E55(sold), 2001 Viper GTS, 2006 Viper VOI9, 1994 ZR-1 Corvette 2009 Viper ACR,
Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it....

Ever have a job in your mind that you think will take a few hours, thats ends up taking the ENTIRE weekend?? This was that job...

First, the front rotors were welded on... After some WD40 and hit with a hammer. They DID pop off...

Now, the next nightmare was the rear caliper bolts... You guys ever seen these?? They must have been toqued to about 400ft/lbs. To top it off, they are those goofy star bolts. So, I had to buy a socket special for them.. After HOURS of pry barring these, they did finally come off.. 2 are totally stripped and destroyed. So, a trip to MB parts counter will be needed, to put the car back together. Not exactly digging the home depot bolts, in a crucial spot like this, or believe me I would have finished it today. Thank god they came off.. I thought I was screwed.. I was using 1/2 drive and a 3 foot pry bar, and they still would not budge at first.

Then, I had to sand and prep them. Which took forever...

But, they end result is HUGE.. The car looks fresh again... Noting like drving a nice car, with rusted rotors... Maybe its just me. But something had to be done.. 1 weekend, down the tubes.. Oh well, Hopefully they will last.. I stripped ALL the factory gray off, and prepped them very well. So, Hopefully they will last. I used hi-temp, chemical resistant VHT caliper/rotor paint. Supposed to the best you can buy.. Like $10 a can.. Thanks again

Last edited by Taximan1; 03-23-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Taximan1 is offline  
Old 03-23-2009, 07:27 AM
  #17  
Member
 
squidj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 207
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 (white); 2016 GLE 400 (white)
It was worth the time and agony. congrats
squidj is offline  
Old 03-23-2009, 10:02 AM
  #18  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 958
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55
must be from the roads where you live. for those of us in the sunny lands, it isn't this difficult.
Dogshine is offline  
Old 03-23-2009, 07:23 PM
  #19  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 171
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E55, 07 SL65, 06 S4
BTW - for those who use the sledge hammer approach to get the disks off, be ready for a follow up wheel-bearing replacement job in the not too distant future. Nothing is more destructive to a roller/ball bearing assembly than a static overload, i.e. the ol' hammer treatment (bell bearings can withstand 3 times the dyamic load vs. static load)
CA_E55 is offline  
Old 03-23-2009, 07:40 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jupiter, Florida
Posts: 386
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55, 2004 E55(sold), 2001 Viper GTS, 2006 Viper VOI9, 1994 ZR-1 Corvette 2009 Viper ACR,
Originally Posted by CA_E55 View Post
BTW - for those who use the sledge hammer approach to get the disks off, be ready for a follow up wheel-bearing replacement job in the not too distant future. Nothing is more destructive to a roller/ball bearing assembly than a static overload, i.e. the ol' hammer treatment (bell bearings can withstand 3 times the dyamic load vs. static load)
Exactly.... This is why I wanted to avoid this.. I admit, I did tap the passenger side front a few good times with a sledge.. But I dont think I damaged it. I only hit it about 2-3 times. And I did not pound on it.

The bolt method is much prefered for the reasons stated above
Taximan1 is offline  
Old 11-08-2009, 09:25 PM
  #21  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 110
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just used the bolt trick on the front rotors to get mine off in 30 seconds after spending 30 minutes yesterday hitting them with a big hammer.

Now the rear caliper bolt do not want to come off. I don't get it...I have the rear rotors jacked up just off the ground so not a whole lot of room to get a breaker bar in there, I may need to jack the rear up more but my other option is to remove one control arm and use an impact gun at 100psi. Any other suggestions?
soundeffects is offline  
Old 11-08-2009, 09:34 PM
  #22  
Out Of Control!!
 
jangy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 13,394
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by soundeffects View Post
I just used the bolt trick on the front rotors to get mine off in 30 seconds after spending 30 minutes yesterday hitting them with a big hammer.

Now the rear caliper bolt do not want to come off. I don't get it...I have the rear rotors jacked up just off the ground so not a whole lot of room to get a breaker bar in there, I may need to jack the rear up more but my other option is to remove one control arm and use an impact gun at 100psi. Any other suggestions?
Lift it higher to get a bar in there. It is a tough one with just a jack.
jangy is offline  
Old 11-10-2009, 12:55 PM
  #23  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
stevebez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,004
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Originally Posted by Taximan1 View Post
Yes, I did remove the 1 torx bolt to be sure. But it doesnt seem like it "holds" anything together. So, Im not sure you have to..
Yes you do it holds the rotor onto the wheel hub. More of a locator but I doubt you will get the rotor off with that bolt still on.
stevebez is offline  
Old 11-10-2009, 02:29 PM
  #24  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Murrieta, Southern California
Posts: 783
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Lightbulb What My Mechanic Did . .



When he couldn't get the rear rotors to break loose, he hit the rotors where the axle flange
and the rotor make contact with good ol' WD-40 and had me return the following day.

It only took him a couple of taps with his handy eight pound sledge, and they both popped right off.
In other words, they were in rusted together, and this car is an original California car!

Green E-300 DT is offline  
Old 11-13-2009, 07:37 PM
  #25  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 110
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you hitting them on the brake FACE or the rotor hub to brake it loose? I finally got the caliper bolts off with a huge *** jack handle over 3ft long after my 580ftlb impact gun laughed at me.

I can't use the bolt method on the rear as the dust shield is there.. I need help!
soundeffects is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rotors. How do I get these things off???????


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: