W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

In the market for an e55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2009 | 09:07 AM

None
In the market for an e55

Hey guys i am currently in the market for an 03 e55 amg. I found one locally to me it seems like a great deal. Is there anything in particular i should be looking at when buying an 03? its got 56k miles. here is the link http://carmart-usa.ebizautos.com/web...px?iid=3931246

I would really appreciate any feedback you guys might have.
Thank you
Old 03-23-2009 | 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Anton653
Hey guys i am currently in the market for an 03 e55 amg. I found one locally to me it seems like a great deal. Is there anything in particular i should be looking at when buying an 03? its got 56k miles. here is the link http://carmart-usa.ebizautos.com/web...px?iid=3931246

Thank you

Based on the year, I'm assuming it is out of warranty, so I would spend some cash on an independent inspection by a MB ASE certified mechanic. Getting a decent aftermarket warranty is a good thing, too.

I would be patient and still look around for the latest MY (with decent miles)you can afford. The market is soft so patience may save you some money in the long run.
Old 03-23-2009 | 10:24 AM

E55

Thank you
I agree with AMGfan. I would look and see if you can find either a CPO with a 100k warranty or MY05 OR 06 with original warranty left. That way you could extend the warranty at your local dealer prior to the 4yr/50k expiring. If you have your mind set on the '03, definitely have an inspection done. Most MB dealers will do an inspection and give you a detailed report. Last I heard is that the cost is right around $250.00-well worth the money!
Old 03-24-2009 | 06:51 AM

2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
Since it has an aftermarket grill and wheels, I'd wonder what other mods it has.
Old 03-24-2009 | 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Originally Posted by tscales
Since it has an aftermarket grill and wheels, I'd wonder what other mods it has.
Or had.
Old 03-24-2009 | 12:16 PM

None
Originally Posted by tscales
Thats a good point, luckily I know a very cool guy who specializes in mercedes maybe hes gonna hook me with with an inspection if the dealer is willing to let me take it.

Also I read somewhere on here that its a good idea to contact MB dealership with the vin number and have them run it, can anyone verify that?
Old 03-24-2009 | 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about a CPO. I found it that Mercedes are super stingy in doing warranty work and will charge you to diagnose the car and if it is something that they can replace under CPO (not simply making adjustments they told me, like screwing something down or whateveR), they will not charge you for diag time, otherwise, you're on the hook for it. Everytime I brought my ride somewhere they acted like clowns "oh we can't replicate" the problem yaddy yadda. Whatever.

I'd just go aftermarket warranty w/ Chrysler service contracts or something. But definitely get a newer year since they are getting so cheap!
Old 03-24-2009 | 01:55 PM

None
Also I read somewhere on here that its a good idea to contact MB dealership with the vin number and have them run it, can anyone verify that?[/QUOTE]

anyone know if this is true?
Old 03-25-2009 | 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Also I read somewhere on here that its a good idea to contact MB dealership with the vin number and have them run it, can anyone verify that?
anyone know if this is true?[/QUOTE]

Yes, just call them with the VIN.
Old 03-25-2009 | 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 E55
Originally Posted by Blacksport350
anyone know if this is true?
Yes, just call them with the VIN.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that. Many dealers don't want to deal with that stuff.
Old 03-25-2009 | 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Karlson
Yes, just call them with the VIN.
Good luck with that. Many dealers don't want to deal with that stuff.[/QUOTE]

I've done it several times...I just go back to the MB SA that I use on a regular basis.
Old 03-25-2009 | 09:19 AM

2011 Black C63 Eurocharged V5
AMGFAN----I gotta disagree...

I spent the $250 plus tax to have my E inspected at the time of sale.

WHAT A RIPOFF

I honestly felt violated. Maybe it was just the dealership I went to? but I suspect that for $250 these guys arent really givin the car quite the go over that you think they are.

They have a list with like 250 things that they check on it. From my experiance it seem like they spend 30 mins MAX going over the car.

I had a huge fight with my SA. I take the car in and leave it for a WHOLE day....get it back and they say....it has a scratch on the bumper. thats it.

Yeah no kidding!!! Its a 2 inch scratch that my blind grandma can see.

Im not a mechanic.....I sit in the car for 1 hour and find 3 different things wrong with it.

1--2 small chips in the windshield
2--keyless go on the passenger side doesnt open the door(faulty sensor)
3--Ac in the back blows hot air(very common simple fix on the cars)

I am pissed. Usually I show my anger by NEVER spending my money there again. By luck the MB marketing calls my house to measure my pleasure with the experiance. I say it was crap(honest).

The next day the SA calls me and says----and I quote---"you cant buy a car based on what we say...we just look it over"

Spend the $250 on TINTS....if possible drive it for a day and look it over yourself.

the Techs arent giving you any "professional advise" that you cant assertain yourself.
Old 03-25-2009 | 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HYEPWR
AMGFAN----I gotta disagree...

I spent the $250 plus tax to have my E inspected at the time of sale.

WHAT A RIPOFF

I honestly felt violated. Maybe it was just the dealership I went to? but I suspect that for $250 these guys arent really givin the car quite the go over that you think they are.

They have a list with like 250 things that they check on it. From my experiance it seem like they spend 30 mins MAX going over the car.

I had a huge fight with my SA. I take the car in and leave it for a WHOLE day....get it back and they say....it has a scratch on the bumper. thats it.

Yeah no kidding!!! Its a 2 inch scratch that my blind grandma can see.

Im not a mechanic.....I sit in the car for 1 hour and find 3 different things wrong with it.

1--2 small chips in the windshield
2--keyless go on the passenger side doesnt open the door(faulty sensor)
3--Ac in the back blows hot air(very common simple fix on the cars)

I am pissed. Usually I show my anger by NEVER spending my money there again. By luck the MB marketing calls my house to measure my pleasure with the experiance. I say it was crap(honest).

The next day the SA calls me and says----and I quote---"you cant buy a car based on what we say...we just look it over"

Spend the $250 on TINTS....if possible drive it for a day and look it over yourself.

the Techs arent giving you any "professional advise" that you cant assertain yourself.
HYEPWR...I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I need to clarify...I've never used MB for inspection, rather I use an independent ASE certified MB shop. In my case, they were previous MB service managers and techs who opened up their own shop around the corner from my MB dealership.

I don't have much trust with MB service departments. I only go their if something is covered by a warranty.
Old 03-25-2009 | 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 964 Turbo, 2002 Black E55, 2002 Black E55 " The Beast"- 2014 E63s
This is exactly why you buy a lower mileage,well maintained one owner car..The chances of things going wrong with such a car is less likely..It's always better to buy a CPO car 'coz it's still under warranty...However with CPO you still want to make sure that cosmetically the car is still in shape that you desire it to be in...
I am super happy with my purchase of '06 one owner CPO E55 with 18K miles..

"Either you pay up front or you pay later"