Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:57 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by Adam@Autoscope
Do your research on the side walls! The V-reds are not very agile. Your vehicle is heavy, side wall is important. Personally, I would look into Toyo's! If your set on those 2 companies, I would go with the Falkens.
Falkens aren't necessarily poorly constructed, but their design is "off" somehow. They have the worst radial pull of any tire I've ever used, it's really terrible. And this was on 3 completely separate cars I tried Falkens, with the same thing happening every time. And I'm not the only one who noticed it...

A simple google search for "Falken"+"Pull to the right":

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

I would not recommend these tires, unless you always want to feel like your alignment is off.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Do your research on the side walls! The V-reds are not very agile. Your vehicle is heavy, side wall is important. Personally, I would look into Toyo's! If your set on those 2 companies, I would go with the Falkens.
fwiw, Vred (not V-reds) designed something into the sidewall called HTS (their marketing term) which means a much stiffer sidewall with minimal side distortion for heavier cars but which also emphasizes much better turn in (than Falkens.) It tends to work well.

Anyway, the assumption here is that the OP was looking for a less expensive tire and hence his choosing between the Falkens and the Vreds. So when people tell him he should get much better tires, etc., I'm guessing he already knows that and wouldn't be posting his question if he wanted the best. It's like somebody asking what's a good inexpensive camera and then everybody telling him to get a Leica.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
+1 Toyo T1R's are the best bang for the buck no doubt.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Sport & Rs6
Originally Posted by Vader55
+1 Toyo T1R's are the best bang for the buck no doubt.
Agreed!
Old 04-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E350 Sport & Rs6
Originally Posted by 220S
fwiw, Vred (not V-reds) designed something into the sidewall called HTS (their marketing term) which means a much stiffer sidewall with minimal side distortion for heavier cars but which also emphasizes much better turn in (than Falkens.) It tends to work well.

Anyway, the assumption here is that the OP was looking for a less expensive tire and hence his choosing between the Falkens and the Vreds. So when people tell him he should get much better tires, etc., I'm guessing he already knows that and wouldn't be posting his question if he wanted the best. It's like somebody asking what's a good inexpensive camera and then everybody telling him to get a Leica.
Thanks for the info, do you use V-reds? I have driven some pretty stout vehicles with V-reds and I was not impressed with the flexibility from the side wall. I won't get into detail....

I am not knocking either company, but my Opinion which is based off of my 4 years of road raacing goes towards the Falken tires!!! If you have some experience with both tires and you say the Falkens aren't the better choice, then I'm taking notes! I personally wouldn't buy either one and I would look into Toyo!

My 2 cents!

I hope I helped!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the info, do you use V-reds? I have driven some pretty stout vehicles with V-reds and I was not impressed with the flexibility from the side wall. I won't get into detail....

I am not knocking either company, but my Opinion which is based off of my 4 years of road raacing goes towards the Falken tires!!! If you have some experience with both tires and you say the Falkens aren't the better choice, then I'm taking notes! I personally wouldn't buy either one and I would look into Toyo!

My 2 cents!

I hope I helped!!!
The OP was looking for less expensive street tires. In my experience the Vreds worked better for me than the Falkens. Again, we're talking street use and price. The Vreds worked much better in the wet, the turn-in seemed crisper, they were still quiet as they wore down, and they lasted longer. On the track? I wouldn't use either the Vred or the Falken.

Tires are like beer. Everybody has a favorite kind. It gets subjective. The only real valid answer aside from opinions is for a buyer to buy everything out there, put them on their own car and test them in varying conditions and on surfaces that they normally drive.

Kinda like Tire Rack does. Except that only really works if you own the same car they use.

Cheers.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E350 Sport & Rs6
Originally Posted by 220S
The OP was looking for less expensive street tires. In my experience the Vreds worked better for me than the Falkens. Again, we're talking street use and price. The Vreds worked much better in the wet, the turn-in seemed crisper, they were still quiet as they wore down, and they lasted longer. On the track? I wouldn't use either the Vred or the Falken.

Tires are like beer. Everybody has a favorite kind. It gets subjective. The only real valid answer aside from opinions is for a buyer to buy everything out there, put them on their own car and test them in varying conditions and on surfaces that they normally drive.

Kinda like Tire Rack does. Except that only really works if you own the same car they use.

Cheers.
Ha! I like that! Nice words my friend! I am curious to know what tires you use on your DD?
Old 04-02-2009, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ha! I like that! Nice words my friend! I am curious to know what tires you use on your DD?
PS2. They work for me and no surprises. Too much time and $$ in experimenting anymore. Plus I get N rated (295 on the rear of my P-car) which means my insurance company can't hassle me if it ever comes down to it. Also PS2s on my MB (the DD.)

But in the past I tried all the flavors out there. And it's still always tempting to try something different. But instead I've decided to keep tires as a constant so I can experiment with the rest of the chassis.....

Last edited by 220S; 04-02-2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 04-02-2009, 01:35 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
What do people think about the new CSC3's that just came out?

They any good? They're priced about $350+ less than a set of the Michelin Pilot Sports, so I've been considering trying them out instead of PS2's when the time comes.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Ran SRT-10,2007 S550,2016 E400c
Cost isnt to much of a issue.. these are going on my e-350 lowered which is a daily driver so im going for the MOST PRACTICAL tire. I dont see the reason for spending 1300-1600
for a set of tires ( ps2 pzeros conti sport3) and getting 10k miles - 12k before i wear the inside out and im not even doing aggresive driving with them so i am not using the tires for there designed purpose. So i spend 800- 900 on a set that last longer 15k-18k. Not all of us are tracking our cars to work in the moring haha. Cost was never a issue if there was a super tire in these sizes that lasted 50k+ and cost double than the ps2 i would be the first in line.

but anyway thanks everyone for the usefull input
Old 04-04-2009, 05:07 AM

06 E320 CDI
Do any of you E63 or E55 owners still have your original rims? I want a set....let me know what factory rims you have and what to part ways with. Thanks!!!