Sponsored by:

How to remove charcoal filter on 63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63
How to remove charcoal filter on 63?

is there any special instructions for the removal of the charcoal filters? any thing i need to know?

Thanks
Old 04-02-2009, 01:21 AM

09 CLS63 AMG(Designo Platinum Blk,030), 09 C63 AMG, 2010 Maserati QP Sport GTS, 2010 Maserati GTS MC
I tried this on my cls63 and for some reason I did not notice any power gains. The car feels like it's reving more at throttle. The response felt more lazy to me with less grunt. I was actually confused of the outcome because this has been proven for a while to be the easiest way to get more power from our 63 engines. I ended up placing the filter back and it feels more responsive I think. It may be because I kept the stock air filters in there instead of using k&n's. So, I am just leaving it as is and planning on getting more power from installing headers and software upgrade pretty soon.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:37 AM

09 CLS63 AMG(Designo Platinum Blk,030), 09 C63 AMG, 2010 Maserati QP Sport GTS, 2010 Maserati GTS MC
Oh, and removing process is pretty straight forward. It only took me about 15 minutes. All u need is a t20 screw driver.

1. Pull off the center v shaped piece of the cover that is connecting two intake covers. You might have to apply some pressure because there 2 clips on each side and one clip at the bottom where the merc logo is. It is really tight. Don't force it because the plastic holding the clips may break easily.
2. Once u remove the center piece, u will see 5 screws for each air boxes. Be sure to get the one behind the boxes where the hoses are.
3. Carefully lift the box and u will see a gray filter stuck beneath the cover. It is easier to work with if u take the air filters out. Use your hands to pinch the charcoal filters out of the black frame holding it.
4. Place the air filters back in and rescrew the airbox. If the inside of the airboxes or the filters are dusty, just wipe it off.
5. Repeat for the other side and place the center piece back on.

I hope this helps. There is a post on this subject with pictures if you search it.