Sponsored by:

Virtues of tire thread design differences

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:22 PM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
Virtues of tire thread design differences

It's time for me to get new tires for the CLS. I started to wonder the design virtues and philosophy behind different thread designs, i.e. assymetrical vs unidirectional. Our cars most typically come with PZeros, PS2 or Contisport2/3. All assymetrical design tires. There are cheaper tires that are OEM on lighter, more handling/rally oriented, less torquey vehicles like EVO, STI such as Toyo, Nito, Falken that are unidirectional.

Wouldn't putting a set of unidirectional thread tires on our cars (as the brands aforementioned) for cost saving reasons, be counterintuitive to the car's original design concept?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:40 PM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
From Tirerack:

The PZero Rosso System includes both asymmetric and directional tread designs, each tuned to satisfy the unique performance needs of different types of vehicles and uses. The PZero Rosso Asimmetrico is the most widely used because it's designed for both front and rear axle positions of front engine front-wheel drive and rear-wheel drive cars (and on all cars driven on the track). The PZero Rosso Direzionale is designed to offer enhanced hydroplaning resistance and is primarily for use on the lighter load carrying front axle positions of mid-engine and rear-engine rear-wheel drive cars (which are then combined with the PZero Rosso Asimmetrico tires on the rear axle positions).

Is this what I originally suspected? that directional tires are for lighter car?