Check out this dealer diagnosis

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Originally Posted by Friction
It feels like a tire issue, but two things point away form that. First, the balancers do not reflect a problem, second, the problem seems to be intermitant in intensity.
That is almost spot on for a ball joint issue.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Blacksport350
That is almost spot on for a ball joint issue.
yep
Old 04-16-2009, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
44 is the recomended pressure on the door sill for summer. Yes it does seem high though.

I will fiddle some more and keep you guys posted, besides, I need to vent here because the wife could not care less about this stuff.
I don't have my car here to check but, take a look at the gas door you will see 35-36 psi normal summer under <100mph.

I think that 44 (and I don't recall it being that high) is fully loaded car, 5 adults, trunk full >100+ mph.

Now to me any dealer that puts a car back out with tires over inflated as a fix has some problems, That is 100% wrong. I can see a pattern of mistakes here that would indicate to me a competent dealer is needed. Problem, "vibration" first thing to check tires, (not tranny) second thing to check front suspension, and we know it takes less than 3 minutes to determine if ball joints are worn out. And to top it off they call MBUSA for help
Old 04-17-2009, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
how about the propshaft being out of balance ?

ANy prop reconditioner can spin it for you once off the car to see if it is ok.

On my A8 audi i had a vibration that turned out to be dry suspension bushes - worth a look too.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Almost a Member!

05 E55
Vibration

The saga continues... I took the car in to have the dealer swap out the wheels and tire with similar setup to see if the shimmy/vibration goes away. I got a call last night telling me they changed out the motor and trans mounts and will call back today. I still think I will let them replace random parts as they see fit...eventually I will have a new car! I have mentioned ball joints before, but that has not been their focus....yet.

Although random in intensity, the vibration feels like a bad wheel or tire.

Really thinking of not keeping tha car past warranty although I do like the car.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
motor mounts ussually offer different symptoms bur can definitely cause similar problems. in this case even if they are bad they would likely only amplify the vibration that's stemming from another problem.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
i recall a similar problem happened to my car

and the dealer couldn't know what was the problem.

my friend tolld me to let them change by force a pert behind the wheel which looks like a big metal washer, i don't know its official name. it is either behind the brake disc or directly behind the wheel.

when they showed me the old one, it was cracked and it was causing the vibration for me for a whole year @@ and they couldn;t discover it.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
Originally Posted by chiromikey
tire defect is a possibility but i'm still betting on wheel bearings or ball joints.

yup i had similar issue with my car and dealer replaced, ball joins and torque arms. now it all went away...
Old 06-05-2009, 11:03 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
It's something in the suspension. If the vibration is at particular speeds, especially around 45-65mph, then that points to control arms.

Does the car seem 'tight' on the highway? Does it track grooves in the concrete? When you sit in the car, how much side-to-side movement can you put into the steering wheel before the front wheels start to move?
Old 06-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Almost a Member!

05 E55
Originally Posted by CWW
It's something in the suspension. If the vibration is at particular speeds, especially around 45-65mph, then that points to control arms.

Does the car seem 'tight' on the highway? Does it track grooves in the concrete? When you sit in the car, how much side-to-side movement can you put into the steering wheel before the front wheels start to move?
Steering is not tight compared to my last car (BMW 330 M package) but you can not caompare the two. The steering feels like a luxury car, not a performance car. The problem being that you can feel vibration in the wheel (and the body) of the car. Like i said, just feels like a bad wheel or tire. My request to them was to swap the wheels/tire with another similar set and see the results. That being siad, there is a noticable improvement in the vibration with the engine mounts replaced. My jury is still out as to if the problem is fixed, my gut says it is not fixed.

Thanks for all the ideas, I am compiling them to give to the dealer next time I try to address the problem.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:43 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Steering is not tight compared to my last car (BMW 330 M package) but you can not caompare the two. The steering feels like a luxury car, not a performance car. The problem being that you can feel vibration in the wheel (and the body) of the car. Like i said, just feels like a bad wheel or tire. My request to them was to swap the wheels/tire with another similar set and see the results. That being siad, there is a noticable improvement in the vibration with the engine mounts replaced. My jury is still out as to if the problem is fixed, my gut says it is not fixed.

Thanks for all the ideas, I am compiling them to give to the dealer next time I try to address the problem.
I think you should check the following, in this order:

1: Lower ball joints

2: Control arm bushings

3: Tie rod ends
Old 06-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Almost a Member!

05 E55
Crappola

Well, the vibration reared its ugly head again this morning. Problem not fixed.

Will approach the dealer with all of your ideas on the problem. I am less sure that the problem is a tire. There was no significant vibration for almost a week. Drove to work this morning and it felt like a wheel out of ballance or out of round/true.

Harumphf
Old 06-09-2009, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
post 4