W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chk out new base LS3 6.2L CORVETTE GRAND SPORT w/basic Z06 body..WHY???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Chk out new base LS3 6.2L CORVETTE GRAND SPORT w/basic Z06 body..WHY???

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/24/c...urns-for-2010/

Chevy is bringing back the Corvette Grand Sport, and unlike the one offered at the end of the C4's run in the mid-Nineties, this one sports a long list of performance upgrades that would make even Zora Arkus-Duntov proud. Rather than treating this revival as a special model with a limited run, Chevy has decided to ditch the Z51 package entirely and offer the Grand Sport that pushes the standard Vette's performance even closer to that of the Z06.

While the 430-hp (436-hp with the two-mode exhaust) LS3 V8 remains unchanged, wider front and rear fenders allow for 18- (front) and 19-inch (rear) wheels that are also wider than before. Larger brakes are included and the special suspension tuning is now even closer to that of the Z06. You'll also notice other Z06 elements like the front splitter, rear spoiler and functional brake ducts behind the doors. Unlike the Z06, you can order a Grand Sport with a manual transmission or the Vette's six-speed automatic with paddle shifters. If you're a true track hound, though, go with the manual that also comes with a dry-sump oil system, differential cooler and rear-mounted battery.

Though available as a convertible, coupe models also feature a removable roof. The Grand Sport can also be had in all four Corvette trim levels (1LT, 2LT, 3LT and 4LT) and any standard Corvette color, and a special heritage package gives a nod to the past by adding a pair of hash marks to the front fenders. The new Grand Sport is being announced at the 12th annual C5/C6 Corvette Birthday Bash at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky as we speak and pricing has yet to be announced, so stay tuned.

[Source: Chevy]

PRESS RELEASE

CHEVROLET ANNOUNCES NEW 2010 CORVETTE GRAND SPORT

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – Grand Sport. It's one of the most storied monikers in Corvette's illustrious racing heritage and it is returning the lineup. Chevrolet announced the new, 2010 Corvette Grand Sport at the 12th annunal C5/C6 Corvette Birthday Bash, held at the National Corvette Museum, in Bowling Green, Ky.

The new Grand Sport model combines the Corvette's LS3-based powertrain with unique, wide-body styling and a racetrack-bred suspension for a distinctive, starting grid-ready performer. It is offered in both coupe and convertible body styles, with either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission. The LS3 6.2L engine is rated at 430 horsepower (321 kW)* and 424 lb.-ft. of torque (575 Nm)* with the standard exhaust system. An optional two-mode exhaust system elevates the power ratings to 436 horses (325 kW) and 428 lb.-ft. (580 Nm).

The Grand Sport replaces the Corvette's previous Z51 package and brings a greater degree of handling performance, with wider wheels and tires; revised shock, stabilizer bar and spring specifications and specific gearing. The equipment enables cornering capability of 1.0 g, as well as a 0.2-second improvement in 0-60 acceleration vs. standard LS3-powered models.

Grand Sport coupe models equipped with the manual transmission are uniquely outfitted for racetrack competition, too, with a dry-sump oiling system, differential cooler and a rear-mounted battery.

The complete list of content and special features for the Grand Sport includes

* Wider front and rear fenders – including specific front fenders with integrated Grand Sport badges
* Z06-style front splitter and tall rear spoiler
* Functional brake ducts and extra cooling
* Unique 18-inch front and 19-inch wheels; painted finish standard and chrome finish optional
* Large 275/35ZR18 tires in front and 325/30ZR19 tires in the rear
* Z06-size brakes, including 14-inch (355 mm) front rotors with six-piston calipers and 13.4-inch (340 mm) rear rotors with four-piston calipers
* Specific manual transmission gear ratios
* Specific rear axle ratio on automatic-equipped modles

With its special equipment, the Grand Sport offers a unique blend of performance and amenities. Its suspension package approaches that of the Z06, but includes a removable roof on coupes (Z06 has a fixed roof) and, of course, the availability of a convertible body style. Also, the paddle-shift six-speed automatic transmission is offered, while a manual transmission is the only choice with the Z06.

All of Corvette's exterior colors are offered on the Grand Sport and an available Heritage package adds iconic front fender hash marks offered in four colors, as well as two-tone seats with Grand Sport embroidery. The Grand Sport can be ordered with 1LT, 2LT, 3LT and 4LT trim packages, too.

Last edited by Thericker; 04-27-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Funny chk out 1 of the posts from the Z06 forum @ CorvetteForum.com

toxin440
CF Senior Member

My Corvette Photos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well it certianly looks like a wide body vert to me. And that pisses me off. I've owned my Z06 for about 1 year at this point, it's special, its unique, and when people see it they KNOW its not something you see every day.

I gotta say, I have loved my vette, and my S10, both chevy products, but if this is the route GM chooses to go, i guarantee you my next car will not be a GM vehicle. I can see it in a years time how I will sit at a stop light and have some douchebag pull up next to me in the widebody vert and start grinning thinking he's so smart.

You would think they would have a little common sense and not do that to all the people that shelled out 70,80,90 or 100+K for their halo car.

How pissed do you think an actual GT-R owner would be if Nissan made a baby look-a-like from the factory and all the ricers flock to them and suddenly you see "GT-R's everywhere.

I'm ranting I know, haha sorry. When you really think about it with GM going the direction they are going you might not see too many of these things anyway. There is a huge inventory of vettes all over the place, and i highly doubt this one car is going to make them a "ton" of money when all the others have been sitting there for ages.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Nice!! I had a 96 Grand Sport LT4... Such a great car..
Old 04-27-2009, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
I like vettes. The moon grey or whatever its called ZR1 is
Old 04-27-2009, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
997.2 GT3
The Grand Sport will be a very attractive car in its price segment. Unfortunately for Chevy, it will cannabilize Z06 sales. I imagine there are Z06 buyers out there primarily buying the car for its differentiated looks. To these folks the 436hp of the Grand Sport is enough power.

Since I'm personally more able to afford the Grand Sport, I think it's a great car. I applaud Chevy for offering dry sump oil system with the Grand Sport. Make mine a Cyber Grey Coupe with red interior.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:44 AM

03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by obsidian05e55
Nice!! I had a 96 Grand Sport LT4... Such a great car..
I loved my LT4 also, very good car. I know there are alot of vette haters on this forum but I think the C5's and C6's are great buys in the $ to performance aspect.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
I think the move was born out of a bit of desperation and from gathering some feedback from rank and file Vette owners. Now that GM high performance division is shut down, there is no new high perfromance model in the pipeline. The guys at Chevy wanted to bring some new excitement that would get a bunch of the Vette faithful into the dealership to buy a "new" product. They took a bunch of parts (of a slower selling car, such as the Z06)that were already there and cobbled this model together and put an historically significant name on it. Some Vette owners wanted an automatic and that Z06 widebody. These people are not going to shell out $120K to get it from the ZR1. This move by GM provides those people with an OEM solution rather than running out and getting a body kit. The only ones that will be alientated are the current Z06 owners. But there probably isn't going to be a car produced by GM/Chevy that will get them into the dealership anyway...at least in the near future (if they wanted a ZR1 and could afford it...they probably would have bought one already).

So the move by GM isn't really shocking and probably has more financial benefits without too much short-term costs.

Tom
Old 04-27-2009, 09:42 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by TMC M5
Some Vette owners wanted an automatic and that Z06 widebody.
Bingo! There are a ton of people who want the looks more than performance, and won't even consider a manual tranny. Chevy is playing to them.

Still, I can easily see how it would **** off the folks who shelled out the $$$ for the real deal, when now they're selling a look-a-like version for 1/2 price.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Originally Posted by Thericker
Funny chk out 1 of the posts from the Z06 forum @ CorvetteForum.com
Whiners. Life's a b*tch....when I had my SLK32, Chrysler screwed us with SRT-6. When I had me C32, MB screwed us with the AMG body kit on C-Class Sports. All in the name of marketing.

Looks pretty cool as a vert!
Old 04-27-2009, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
I loved my Z06 and still consider buying another one, but I wholeheartedly agree with people complaining that the Gran Sport taking the Z06 body diminishes the value of the Z06 and sort of spits on the face Z06 owners. However, the GS will not at all diminish the passion I have for the Z06 nor will it diminish the drive I have to get another one one of these days.

-m
Old 04-27-2009, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 E63 AMG
I like it. The only reason I don't buy a Z06 is because the top doesn't come off. I could care less about the HP difference. All the C6's are fast.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:37 PM

2006 E55 2004 Audi S4 (gone and missed)
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
I loved my Z06 and still consider buying another one, but I wholeheartedly agree with people complaining that the Gran Sport taking the Z06 body diminishes the value of the Z06 and sort of spits on the face Z06 owners. However, the GS will not at all diminish the passion I have for the Z06 nor will it diminish the drive I have to get another one one of these days.

-m
IMO, I think true auto enthusiasts like most of us on this board will always be able to tell the difference between a true Z06 and a lesser car. The same way we seperate an E55 from an E350 or E500 with the AMG package. I understand the frustration of those who have shelled out big $$$ for the real deal. However, the economic climate being what it is, I don't think it's fair to blame Chevy for trying to increase sales.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG S
Lingenfelter

For about 13K you can get the Lingenfelter supercharger package that gives 600bhp with a 3 year 36K mile warranty. This will be the closest thing to an automatic ZO6 that many wanted. 600bhp in a 3,300lbs car will be an absolute monster. If they add the F55 magnetic suspension to the option list then I think this car will sell like crazy. Just my opinion.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by NDF55
IMO, I think true auto enthusiasts like most of us on this board will always be able to tell the difference between a true Z06 and a lesser car. The same way we seperate an E55 from an E350 or E500 with the AMG package. I understand the frustration of those who have shelled out big $$$ for the real deal. However, the economic climate being what it is, I don't think it's fair to blame Chevy for trying to increase sales.
Only if it's a vert, these new Grand Sport's will have Exact same...
* Wider front and rear fenders – including specific front fenders with integrated Grand Sport badges
* Z06-style front splitter and tall rear spoiler
* Functional brake ducts and extra cooling
* Unique 18-inch front and 19-inch wheels; painted finish standard and chrome finish optional
* Large 275/35ZR18 tires in front and 325/30ZR19 tires in the rear
* Z06-size brakes, including 14-inch (355 mm) front rotors with six-piston calipers and 13.4-inch (340 mm) rear rotors with four-piston calipers
And butterfly exhaust w/larger Z06 tips/Though available as a convertible, coupe models also feature a removable roof. The Grand Sport can also be had in all four Corvette trim levels, w/coupe model removable roof partition in place it'll look exactly like hardtop.

If a poser decides to slap Z06 badges on, the ONLY WAY will be able to tell the difference is the Heritage package adds iconic front fender hash marks offered in four colors, Z06 has totally different front fender w/large scoops instead of hash marks. Also the Heritage package doesn't have the frnt air scoop that the true Z06 has on the top of the frnt bumper. Having said all that these are easy fixes for bodyshop & an eager poser, also 1/4 panels are dirt cheap in poly.

I upgraded my past C6 w/Z06 rear fenders ONLY to allow for 345 MP's on rear 19x12 wheels & sheer beauty of wide rear, debaged the entire car (not even chevy bow-tie, 2005-2007 base C6 didn't come w/ANY side frnt fender badging unless they were Z51 equiped MINE wasn't) I would show fellow enthusiasts the smaller C6 calipers/rotors & explain subtle differences etc..

A sharp educated eye will only note the real vs base models in stock form if re-badged, unless they go to the extremes noted above which aren't much at all, I'd expect to see a plethora of shiny new Vert/Coupe Z06's running all over the US