Sponsored by:

Marcus's SL65 Build Thread...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real Cars
Took the time this weekend to hit the dragstrip. Wanted to verify that my car was running properly after my recent "updates" that were made to the factory software, as well as verify my recent, fairly strong dyno #s.

Dragstrip conditions were relatively good, with DA coming in around 1600ft. I thought track prep was great and was able to crack off some great 60' times on my 20" Pirellis (didn't even lower tire pressure, wanted to make REAL street setup passes). Was able to make 3 passes, with my best being 11.5 @ 120.79mph. Other two passes were an 11.8 and 12.0

I think it's important to note that my car was doing 96mph in the 1/8th which to me and my experience shows that this car has a LOT left in it. From my dyno graphs you can see that the car is being held back from it's true potential with the factory load limiters on the top end and once we do a tune I think this car will definitely respond very positively.

At the very least, even though the factory puts the reigns on these cars, my recent software fixes have had a great effect on the car and it's without question running well for being mostly stock (Except for the heat exchanger). Thanks again to nick55... I can b.s. around about how great the car feels all day, but now with a dyno run and an 11.5 second pass I think the CAR has proven that these fixes were not theoretical... but very real indeed.

-m
Old 08-24-2009, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Awesome ET/Trap Marcus! on 20"s to boot! I bet on proper Drag setup whl/tire combo 16"-17" MT's you're sitting on 11.30's

Side Q: What did your HE cost? any chance of getting another made I could buy? or contact info from where you purchased?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by Thericker
Awesome ET/Trap Marcus! on 20"s to boot! I bet on proper Drag setup whl/tire combo 16"-17" MT's you're sitting on 11.30's

Side Q: What did your HE cost? any chance of getting another made I could buy? or contact info from where you purchased?
Sean,

Things are still very uncharted with this car/platform. I mean, if you look at drag times you see trap speeds within 1-2mph of my car stock, and 1-2mph of my car with ECU. There are stock 65s who've trapped 122,123 mph. Maybe that's because of better DA, maybe it's because they are just stronger, who knows. If you look on dragtimes you can see the guy behind me in 11th (who has Kleemann ECU) has the same 1/8th mile MPH and slightly higher ET, but trapped a good almost 4mph higher than I did. Then they guy in 4th position also trapped higher with a much better 60' and ET on drag radials. It's very strange stuff. A car that MPHs 96 in the 1/8th should do a bit more MPH in the 1/4... so it seems to me that although I'm performing inline (or slightly above) stock specs - with an ECU to remove the factory limitations this car really will open up on the top end.

Regarding my Heat Exchanger - you will have to talk to CPT. They are real finnicky about selling these things as they aren't in the business of selling parts - although they are more than happy to fabricate solutions for individual customers. They aren't a mail-order catalog type of place. Give them a call and talk to Al and he will tell it to you straight - whether you want to hear it or not. I mean if you can check and make sure everything is the same on your 600 as my 65, I'm sure they can make something up for you, but it isn't bolt-on - it will have to be installed. There are brackets and stuff that have to be welded to do the size that I have or else it just won't be right. In any event - I definitely think that the H/E helps, and with my car performing the way it is I don't think it's hurting any...

http://ww.gocpt.com

-m
Old 08-24-2009, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
I think your results are very strong given the +1600 DA and 1.85 60' time.

With a zero or negative DA day and a 1.70-ish 60' time, you'll be running low 11s trapping mid-120s.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Regarding my Heat Exchanger - you will have to talk to CPT. They are real finnicky about selling these things as they aren't in the business of selling parts - although they are more than happy to fabricate solutions for individual customers. They aren't a mail-order catalog type of place. Give them a call and talk to Al and he will tell it to you straight - whether you want to hear it or not. I mean if you can check and make sure everything is the same on your 600 as my 65, I'm sure they can make something up for you, but it isn't bolt-on - it will have to be installed. There are brackets and stuff that have to be welded to do the size that I have or else it just won't be right. In any event - I definitely think that the H/E helps, and with my car performing the way it is I don't think it's hurting any...

http://ww.gocpt.com

-m
True dat...you only get the raw CPT HE. You need a competent installer to fab all the brackets and install the "plumbing." Also, bleeding the system properly is important. I was at my tuner's shop today and they are finishing up the HE install...right in front of the radiator and stock HE and above the oil cooler...

Jon

PS Marcus the time slip looks good. I'm picking up a set of rear CCW 18" and MT setup for the drag season to help with launch along with installing some Renntech toe links.

It's a shame we are in different parts of the country...maybe we could meet someplace in the middle (Texas) for a meet and drag race......
Old 08-25-2009, 12:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
Or, Jon, you could ship your car up here and have me check it out beforehand and just race at Route 66.

Nick
Old 08-25-2009, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by nick 55
Or, Jon, you could ship your car up here and have me check it out beforehand and just race at Route 66.

Nick
Nick...I'll be calling. I just want to be with the car and with my wrench at the tuning shop I use when we talk so if there are any technical questions he can be there to help answer them.

Jon
Old 08-25-2009, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Jon (or any other 65 owner, for that matter),

If you are considering to ship your car... I know it seems a bit "excessive" on the face value... but if you have any thoughts/indications there may be some gremlin... no offense to any tuner shop, but there's a certain level of "security" in having a very knowledgeable and *proven* MB tech go through everything on MB's dime (if you have warranty) and make sure things are what they are supposed to be... I mean look at my car... the dyno and track numbers don't lie... 446 before, 487 after... track times... 12.6 before... 11.5 after... hard to argue with those kinds of results.

Now, I will admit Nick is a friend - and obviously recommending him comes with a hint of what some may call a conflict of interest - but met be clear that's not why I'd recommend shipping your car to him. I'm saying this because I know first hand how FRUSTRATING it is to have an under performing car, especially an expensive one. I spent a LOT of hours trying to figure my gremlins out and when I got that 11.5 timeslip... well, needless to say I had a grin on my face. I don't think anyone is going to argue that I don't have the results to back up my claims. In the end, it's your car, but I just thought I'd throw that out there again...

Just my $.02

Last edited by Marcus Frost; 08-25-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
nice numbers Marcus
Old 08-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Your car is running strong Marcus
Old 09-12-2009, 08:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
Any new updates?

Nick
Old 10-07-2009, 01:16 AM

sl65
Originally Posted by Thericker
Nope I have Straight Pipes & custom CAI, made it even louder wastegates opening closing, I've flogged it all over town in front of dozens of Cops. Not a ticket or warning just thumbs-up...
Wastegates opening closing is that similar to the divertervalves on porsches aftermarket that make that whistle sound when you let the foot of the pedal?
What needs to be done?
Old 10-07-2009, 01:22 AM

sl65
What a difference a good tech makes.

For the past year I have been struggling with lowend power on my 65. It was the absolute strangest thing I've ever seen. Below 4500rpm my car was a pooch. We tried a bunch of different remedies - water pump, heat exchanger, boost leaks, etc., etc., - nothing helped.

I did a before/after dyno with the new heat exchanger and CM30 pump, no gain in power (will post dyno if people are interested). Pictures of the heat exchanger installed also to follow... crappy phone pic for now.

I then began discussing the more "in depth" possibilities that remained and the potentially expensive repair bill they could carry (thank you MB Extended Care). The trouble with even having MB Extended Care is that we had to approach a low-power issue that was giving no codes - the proof was in my Dyno #s and my trap speeds (117-118). Enter nick55, a very talented V12 tech, and we formed a game plan. We were gonna target software first, since most of the mechanical stuff - barring the more in-depth stuff - we have eliminated.

Nick spent a few days going over the software in the car and found the proverbial rats nest. Old code, and even some SL600 coding in there. An update/correction of all the software... and, well, the results were staggering...

Yes, the blue was before, and the red was after. No, I did not get an ECU tune from a tuner, this was the difference between a car w/ messed up factory software, and a car with CORRECT, UPDATED factory software. We all dropped our jaws in amazement.

Driving the car afterward was crazy. Rear end going all over the place and a serious kick in the pants performance wise put a huge grin on my face. Now it's time to hit the drag strip...

The saga continues...

-m
I am supposed to have renntech ECU but I feel the same you explain right now, even with traction control off, it is hard for me to get the tires to spin.... Best 1/4 mile I got was 12,5 which shouldnt be right with the modes I have on (all renntech options)... Can that guy help me?
Old 10-07-2009, 01:29 AM

sl65
Please the audio clip of the straight pipes...Really want to do it...
Old 10-07-2009, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by contigo
I am supposed to have renntech ECU but I feel the same you explain right now, even with traction control off, it is hard for me to get the tires to spin.... Best 1/4 mile I got was 12,5 which shouldnt be right with the modes I have on (all renntech options)... Can that guy help me?
You need to get your car on a dyno and measure. If you look at my 440rwhp and 480rwhp graphs... the power under 4000rpm is night and day.

As far as if Nick can help, I'm sure he's willing to try. Problem is with 3rd party tuners it can turn into a bit of a finger pointing match. It isn't something that Nick hasn't had to deal with though. Drop him a PM...

-m
Old 10-07-2009, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by contigo
Please the audio clip of the straight pipes...Really want to do it...
Just DO IT. It's NOT too loud, if it's TOO loud then you must be an AARP member. At idle it's barely louder than stock (except for the 10 seconds during warmup when the turbos are bypassed). Only under heavy throttle does she start to sing and yes, at WOT it's fairly audible. I think you are comparing this car with straight pipe p-cars and it's not like that at all. The straight pipes fit this 600hp Mercedes perfectly IMO. Not obnoxious but let's people know you are packing power.

It's a relatively inexpensive mod that is reversible if you choose not to keep it.

-m
Old 10-07-2009, 02:00 AM

sl65
Just DO IT. It's NOT too loud, if it's TOO loud then you must be an AARP member. At idle it's barely louder than stock (except for the 10 seconds during warmup when the turbos are bypassed). Only under heavy throttle does she start to sing and yes, at WOT it's fairly audible. I think you are comparing this car with straight pipe p-cars and it's not like that at all. The straight pipes fit this 600hp Mercedes perfectly IMO. Not obnoxious but let's people know you are packing power.

It's a relatively inexpensive mod that is reversible if you choose not to keep it.

-m
Taking your advice , doing it tomorrow, will try to get a clip on you tube hope I like it!!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
I'm being a bit premature in this unveiling but I am simply too happy with the way things turned out to hold back.

I present to you, "the impossible", the first SL65 in the world with BBS CH-Rs. We did a 20x9 and 20x10.5 setup, running 255/30/20 fronts with 305/25/20 rears (Pirelli Pzero). I would like to first thank CPT for orchestrating this endeavor, because without them this would not have happened. This required a good solid week of back and forth since BBS Germany swore these wheels wouldn't fit. CPT went to bat for me measuring and even ordering a wheel from BBS to test fit. It worked out great. I'd also like to give a shout to komp55 for the catchphrase he coined when he put BBS wheels on his E55 - "A Return To Quality"

This is my 4th set of BBS wheels and I have the absolutely highest regard and respect for them as a company. No HRE, Monarch, 360 Forged, or whoever comes close to the level at which BBS stands. I'm not saying other companies do not make quality wheels, but BBS is BBS. Half of the Formula 1 teams run BBS wheels. They are found in OEM applications around the world. They, truthfully, stand alone. I don't mean to make this sound like a BBS commercial, but I feel it's important to voice my opinion and give some context.

The bottom line is, with my Carlssons being difficult to repair (one piece forged aluminum), expensive to replace (~2500 a pop), and difficult to obtain, they proved not to be practical wheels for everyday use. They are good wheels but more suited for a lower-mileage, sunday drive type of application IMO.

We just did a small shoot on Sunday and I don't have all the edited shots yet... but I do have one edited shot along with one unedited shot for everyone to take a gander at. When the shots are done in processing they will be posted... again I couldn't be happier.

-m
Old 10-07-2009, 02:17 AM
Banned

SL600
F...KIN EPIC.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
What he said ^

Those are insane!
Old 10-07-2009, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whatever there's gas in...

It's just......
Old 10-07-2009, 03:20 AM

2013 SL550 2013 M6 f12 2011 X5M
I wish I still have my SL65!!!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
STUNNING! Love it.

Was any wheel-well shaving/alteration required for clearance under suspension compression or full left/right turn? Looks like a tight squeeze in there.

Simply gorgeous!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BRAVO Money baby!!!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, CLK550
Bravo Marcus! Very cool!!!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Marcus's SL65 Build Thread...