Sponsored by:

Wheel Alignment Question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Wheel Alignment Question?

Okay so I'm no MB technician....but I have a question for anyone who can answer. Do the wheels need to be removed to properly align a W211 E55? I took my car in because it was pulling a bit to the right on the expressway. When I picked up the car I looked at the Invoice and it says "Perform 4 Wheel Alignment. Removed CS 20 Inch Aftermarket Tires and Rims In Order To Perform Alignment. Aligned And Reinstalled 20 Inch Rims." If the wheels and tires are the same overall height as the stock 18s, was removal of the wheels necessary. To make matters worse, the car still pulls a bit to the right. Any thoughts? Could unequal tire pressure (1 to 2 psi difference between left and right front tires) make a car pull to one side?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Try swapping your left and right wheels and see what that does. No disrespect, but your pic looks like your current setup is way taller than OEM. In theory, taller wheels means you need to lower the car more to compensate and so they may have issues with the lasers at the corners.

All MBs pull right stock. I get an alignment a week after I get a new one and make them spec it neutral.

Another possibility, many roads are banked to the right for waterflow. Good luck and get those rims OFF!!
Old 05-01-2009, 11:11 PM

E55
Originally Posted by jangy
Try swapping your left and right wheels and see what that does. No disrespect, but your pic looks like your current setup is way taller than OEM. In theory, taller wheels means you need to lower the car more to compensate and so they may have issues with the lasers at the corners.

All MBs pull right stock. I get an alignment a week after I get a new one and make them spec it neutral.

Another possibility, many roads are banked to the right for waterflow. Good luck and get those rims OFF!!
Thanks Jangy-
Overall height of the wheels and tires I have on are the same as stock. I just didn't remember it pulling this much to the right but then again I hadn't driven the E in 4 months or so. It could just be that the other cars I was drivinig were spec'd at neutral. Dumb question, but why do new MBs pull right stock?
Old 05-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by mdre55amg
Dumb question, but why do new MBs pull right stock?
Safety. If you pass out they don't want head on collisions...
Old 05-02-2009, 08:57 AM

E55
Originally Posted by jangy
Safety. If you pass out they don't want head on collisions...
That makes sense! Thanks for your help, Jangy.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
I also believe these low profile tires of ours are more susceptible to the roads being uneven. Some roads mine pulls right (most roads actually) and some roads pulls left.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Mine pulls to the right as well, and it's very annoying. All of my cars have done it to some extent, but the E55 does it more than any of them.

Also, I noticed that the inside edge of the front tires is really feathered. The tires look new otherwise, but when I had it on the lift I noticed the feathering. Looking straight at it from the front while at ride hgeight it looks like the tires sit squarely on the road, I.E. there is not an obvious camber problem. For the tires to be worn as badly as they are I would think out of whack camber would be obvious. Is camber adjustable on these cars? I heard it wasn't.

I know at some point the previous owner had one or both ball joints replaced. Perhaps the wear occurred before the joints were replaced, but I thought it was 10K ago and the tires look too new. Is this a common problem or has anyone else experienced inside tire wear and how was it corrected?