I think my alternator is fried. weird tales..scary noises

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Past 996GT3,ZCPM3,Brabus C32,ML 500
I think my alternator is fried. weird tales..scary noises

So i have been working in LA alot and putting a ton of miles on my E55, it is a tad over 50K but I have the extended Benz factory warranty till 100K or 2010.
2 weeks ago I let the car sit all weekend and drove my C Class.
I got in the benz and the car was going nuts with flashing warnings telling me to start the car or all hell was going to break loose with the power and a brake warning?? It would not start and I have a guy come over and jump it. He tried to sell me a $280 Gel battery and I told him not in a million years.
I drove the car and it seemed fine for a couple weeks but yesterday it happened again while driving in LA. I got a message that said. Command will be turned off in 3 minutes and that my power for command was going to go off. Total fail...so I pulled over and called the roadside, a guy came from Keyes in Van Nuys and sold me a non Gel $150 battery that is in the new E63
So today it seemed actually to have more power and I heard the blower WIZZING.....thenn yes you guessed it..
Battery trouble right when I was driving to my Beverly Hills hideout over Coldwater Canyon from Burbank.
This time it said Alternator/Batt and had the red battery light on.
That was a new warning, the other was some crazy super fail warning with a brake warning.
I pulled it into Bev Hills Benz and right at 6:30
The guys there were cool, I told my advisor I new all about the service rating system and winked, ya know..5 stars for freebies or looking the other ways or hookups handjob, ya know wash and WAX when I pick up......
I come to think the newfound super wizzing was not extra power but a loose belt and my alternator failing.
I am covered for working parts but not for the Extra Batt that is in the car.
It could be that and those things are 150 too not covered by warranty.
My LA hideout is on Maple right across the street from the dealer
So I threw them the keys walked home to watch the Dodgers keep ruling and pray my Partent house in Santa Barbara does not burn down, they were evacuated.
Soooooooooo what's your butt diagnosis?

Last edited by Vader13; 05-06-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:28 AM

2003 cl55 (sold)
Originally Posted by Vader13
So i have been working in LA alot and putting a ton of miles on my E55, it is a tad over 50K but I have the extended Benz factory warranty till 100K or 2010.
2 weeks ago I let the car sit all weekend and drove my C Class.
I got in the benz and the car was going nuts with flashing warnings telling me to start the car or all hell was going to break loose with the power and a brake warning?? It would not start and I have a guy come over and jump it. He tried to sell me a $280 Gel battery and I told him not in a million years.
I drove the car and it seemed fine for a couple weeks but yesterday it happened again while driving in LA. I got a message that said. Command will be turned off in 3 minutes and that my power for command was going to go off. Total fail...so I pulled over and called the roadside, a guy came from Keyes in Van Nuys and sold me a non Gel $150 battery that is in the new E63
So today it seemed actually to have more power and I heard the blower WIZZING.....thenn yes you guessed it..
Battery trouble right when I was driving to my Beverly Hills hideout over Coldwater Canyon from Burbank.
This time it said Alternator/Batt and had the red battery light on.
That was a new warning, the other was some crazy super fail warning with a brake warning.
I pulled it into Bev Hills Benz and right at 6:30
The guys there were cool, I told my advisor I new all about the service rating system and winked, ya know..5 stars for freebies or looking the other ways or hookups handjob, ya know wash and WAX when I pick up......
I come to think the newfound super wizzing was not extra power but a loose belt and my alternator failing.
I am covered for working parts but not for the Extra Batt that is in the car.
It could be that and those things are 150 too not covered by warranty.
My LA hideout is on Maple right across the street from the dealer
So I threw them the keys walked home to watch the Dodgers keep ruling and pray my Partent house in Santa Barbara does not burn down, they were evacuated.
Soooooooooo what's your butt diagnosis?
Don't think I'm gonna help very much, but the red battery light came on in my car when my tension roller went kablewy
Old 05-06-2009, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Did it say alternator/battery? or was it just the battery logo? I have a feeling it has something to do with tension.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
My alternator JUST died a couple weeks ago. Both batteries drained. After putting in new batteries, they drained again almost immediately. Then I smelled the very specific smell of burning electronics coming from the vents and under the hood right where the alternator is.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bobgodd
My alternator JUST died a couple weeks ago. Both batteries drained. After putting in new batteries, they drained again almost immediately. Then I smelled the very specific smell of burning electronics coming from the vents and under the hood right where the alternator is.
HOLY SMOKES!!!! that's what i think is going down with mine..how many miles do you have? and what did the warning look like? did the alternator cost a zillion dollars?
Old 05-06-2009, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK< mine was the alt and it is covered!! plus I got a CLS to thrash until tomorrow.
Bev Hills BNZ rules..