Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by CyE55
A little bit OT but I think related.

I put Pirelli PZero Nero's on the car. They have a taller sidewall than PZero Rossos. And now the car sits a bit higher than before. Could this be because Airmatic is sensing that the sidewalls just a tiny bit taller? or ?? What else could it be?
If the tires are taller, then your axle is raised. You will need to lower the car more to compensate. The airmatic doesn't sense how high the car is. It only controls the distance between the axle and the chassis.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by bassn_07
Maybe some people could post up problems that occurred with each method if any.
I've done washers, modified links, SDS, and ELM.

With the washers, the car felt soft on transitions. It was fine while sitting still. I never had any failure issues. Lots of play led me to try the SDS method, since I felt that the lean sensors weren't kicking in as soon since the car was lowered.

With SDS, I had too many issues with getting it set just I like it. It took a few tries to finally get it to settle and be raked as I wanted. Problem was that I did not memorize the settings and the lowering was lost on a flash. I didn't go through the hassle of redoing it.

I've been running the ELM for 3 years and love the option of turning it on and off and being able to adjust to fit my mood and road conditions.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 E63 AMG
I did the washers and my car handles better than my C6 Corvette. It is great. Good mod.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
I've done washers, modified links, SDS, and ELM.

With the washers, the car felt soft on transitions. It was fine while sitting still. I never had any failure issues. Lots of play led me to try the SDS method, since I felt that the lean sensors weren't kicking in as soon since the car was lowered.

With SDS, I had too many issues with getting it set just I like it. It took a few tries to finally get it to settle and be raked as I wanted. Problem was that I did not memorize the settings and the lowering was lost on a flash. I didn't go through the hassle of redoing it.

I've been running the ELM for 3 years and love the option of turning it on and off and being able to adjust to fit my mood and road conditions.
Just curious, if your airmatics was to fail and you left in the Elm would MB give you a hard time? Isn't that funny that I'm worried about warranty work...!
Old 05-15-2009, 12:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Just curious, if your airmatics was to fail and you left in the Elm would MB give you a hard time? Isn't that funny that I'm worried about warranty work...!
MB would flag the car quick. Warranty and mmods is a fine line. I don't mind being denied for something that is legit but it seems that some service guys abuse the system against us as bad as we try to do it to MB. Honestly, I have my ELM off much of the time, lately. I'm not running the HREs and haven't been driving very hard, so there is no need.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Just offer the tech a few extra dollars to help cover his extra time on the vehicle. For example, if the job under warranty allows the tech 5 hours compared to 8 hours that MB would charge if the car was out of warranty, why not offer the tech a few extra bones to keep him happy. I was hanging out with my buddy last week at MB's shop and that seems to be the biggest complaint against modded cars. I don't think they hate us but they just want to be compensated for their time...totally understandable.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Just offer the tech a few extra dollars to help cover his extra time on the vehicle. For example, if the job under warranty allows the tech 5 hours compared to 8 hours that MB would charge if the car was out of warranty, why not offer the tech a few extra bones to keep him happy. I was hanging out with my buddy last week at MB's shop and that seems to be the biggest complaint against modded cars. I don't think they hate us but they just want to be compensated for their time...totally understandable.
We take care of ours in SD, plus many of the techs are our friends first. Around here, they love to get a hold of our cars. The techs love working on them. it is all the attention that 4 modded E55s riolling in at once draws that can make a service manager come over and ask questions. That is why mine gets snuck in and out.