Sponsored by:

Need some help from people with K40's!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbonetics G35
Need some help from people with K40's!

The dealer really messed up on the install of the K40 on my car, its going back some time this week to get the problem fixed. I know a few people on this forum have the K40, and I wanted to see where you mounted both the front radar detector, and also the "control box" (best word I can think to describe it).

Problem is the car does not have a front plate, and on most cars with the K40 they mount the radar sensor above or below the plate. Below is a pic of where they mounted it on the car, they just bent up the lower mesh, and put it there, it looks rigged up. I would love for them to put it behind the mesh, but I think that would mess with the signal. Where should it be mounted????

Old 06-02-2009, 03:48 AM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
'08 CL63
I'll assume that you're talking about the laser diffuser, not the radar detector. The radar detector should be completely concealed behind the bumper & you may or may not see it at all unless the car is on a lift.

Many people mount the diffuser on the front mesh. I've seen some attached like yours, some with the mesh cut out around it as well; most have been mounted higher on the mesh grill.

I had mine mounted inside the radiator grill, slightly offcenter to the passenger side. One of the vertical "supports" on the grill had to be cut, but it's a much cleaner install & probably a more likely aiming space for a cop to shoot at than the bottom mesh grill.

I think that the ideal setup is to have 2 diffusers up front, in the grill & outboard towards the headlights as that is a better aiming/reflection spot than either grill. If you have a front plate, that's the obvious choice.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbonetics G35
Thanks for the info, the thing I'm talking about is the diffuser, I will probably have them cut out some of the grill for it.

Tom
Old 06-04-2009, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
i had mine mounted behind the front grill ....

that is is before i ripped it out and put my V1 back in the car.

V1 > K40
Old 06-04-2009, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
i had mine mounted behind the front grill ....

that is is before i ripped it out and put my V1 back in the car.

V1 > K40