Sponsored by:

How do you teach driving in reverse?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:36 AM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
How do you teach driving in reverse?

Our almost-16 son is learning to drive. Overall he's doing OK, cautious not reckless - I like that. He has no feel right now. And his reverse driving is autrocious. What kind of drills or methods can I work with him to help him going backward?
Old 06-10-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 JDM
Practice, practice, practice! Have him start in an open parking lot to get the feel for it. Try things like backing into parking spaces (including turning while backing up), etc. Next maybe get some cones and have him try with those. The key with backing up is to have your foot covering the brake and don't go too fast. Most instances of backing up do not require much (if any) gas pedal. Driving fast while backing up is difficult because the turning wheels aren't leading...

My $0.02

Good luck.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
an empty parking lot, beat-up Ford Torinos, and a bunch of helpless cones is how they taught us in driver's ed waaaay back in the 70s, and I don't think there is a better way to teach it 30 years later

among other requirements, we had to slalom backwards without hitting cones to pass the class
Old 06-10-2009, 09:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTS-V 2013 Wagon
Fun Thread

I learned to back up in a pickup in a corn field. We had long straight paths that we drove forward down, moved irrigation pipe and then backed up the path we drove down. Some of those paths were 1/2 mile long. I always used my mirrors and to this day still do. A good habit to get in when doing this is to walk to the rear of the vehicle to make sure nothing is behind it. Just yesterday before backing up my truck I jumped back out to look behind the truck and moved my dad's pressure washer (would have been ugly) before jumping back in and backing up. I try to look in the rear view mirror on the windshield first to look for things behind me, the passenger mirror second, the driver mirror third and then begin back up. By using mirrors instead of throwing the arm over the back seat and looking out the rear glass, assuming there is a back glass (think big truck), you can back quite straight with this method. I find easier to line up the car with a driveway or roadway in the mirror plus you don't have to move around inside the car as much.
Good luck with the training.
Warren
Old 06-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Go to a school parking lot after hours and set up some road cones. Or sporting cones you can get from a sporting goods store.

In a nut shell
1) right hand over the back of the passenger seat.
2) Left hand at 12 o'clock
3) no gas let off brake slowly can moves.
4) turn wheel in direction of you want the back end to go
5) sometime you have to back out strait before you turn the wheel.

practice, practice, practice. Let him kill some cones for a while.

then you can teach him how to parallel park with road cones.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by J 2OOI
Practice, practice, practice! Have him start in an open parking lot to get the feel for it. Try things like backing into parking spaces (including turning while backing up), etc. Next maybe get some cones and have him try with those. The key with backing up is to have your foot covering the brake and don't go too fast. Most instances of backing up do not require much (if any) gas pedal. Driving fast while backing up is difficult because the turning wheels aren't leading...

My $0.02

Good luck.
I just read that we are thinking alike.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
It's best to teach him to use all rearview mirrors for backing up period if not, later in life when merging in traffic he'll never grasp proper mirror usage & look over his shoulder every time he changes lanes potentially rear ending someone.

I can't believe how many peeps I see merging in Frwy traffic that NEVER use rearview mirrors, blindly, longingly, staring, over their shoulders till safe to merge, meanwhile nearly ramming other cars, or drifting off road...

ONLY time looking over your shoulder is needed is when backing up in straight line for an extended period of time or if you overshoot a parking space 3 or more cars behind you, if you can't parallel park w/mirrors only w/ 1 car length behind the open spot, you need help lol...
Old 06-11-2009, 12:59 AM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
Thanks for the replies so far. Funny story: Couple of days ago, I took the Pilot to Home Depot to get some lumber. Brought them home, put the car in our curved driveway. After unloading the lumber I tossed the keys to our son and told him to put it in the parking spot on the street. Now, this required backing out of the driveway, onto the street. My wife said "Ohhh nooo!" as he started to back out, then he climbed the curb (missed the driveway exit) on the way out, came within 3" of running over her planter box, and nearly swiped the BMW with the Pilot's front end. Good thing only took 3 tries to put the car in its place.

Forward, he's very adequate. No feel tho...

He never played racing video game, he's more of a Starcraft guy. Now if there're Zerg's to be killed...
Old 06-11-2009, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
One thing that I remember from driving school which I thought was odd, was when reversing, you want to ALWAYS be looking rearward and never elsewhere. That makes sense I suppose, but I can't help but to look around, including foward.

Apparently your son doesn't know how to do, is to inverse the steering input while backing out.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by The Godfather
One thing that I remember from driving school which I thought was odd, was when reversing, you want to ALWAYS be looking rearward and never elsewhere. That makes sense I suppose, but I can't help but to look around, including foward.

Apparently your son doesn't know how to do, is to inverse the steering input while backing out.
The GF is possibly the best @ driving in reverse I've ever seenwhen we raced on the 101 Frwy it appeared as if he thru it in reverse @ 65mph
Old 06-11-2009, 05:52 AM
acb

2005 e55 amg

When I learnt to drive it would be an immediate fail if you didnt look back the whole time you were reversing.

Insofar as that teaching bad habbits re merging and having to look over your shoulder, I beg to differ. imho any lane change or merge should be accompanied by a shoulder check because there is one big **** of a blind spot at 3/4 distance down your car. As a bike rider I am always terrified of people not checking their blind spot before merging - can be a matter of life and death.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by acb
When I learnt to drive it would be an immediate fail if you didnt look back the whole time you were reversing.

Insofar as that teaching bad habbits re merging and having to look over your shoulder, I beg to differ. imho any lane change or merge should be accompanied by a shoulder check because there is one big **** of a blind spot at 3/4 distance down your car. As a bike rider I am always terrified of people not checking their blind spot before merging - can be a matter of life and death.

Except for towing mirrors on trucks I've owned, there are huge blindspots if you're just using your mirrors.

As far as the OP, practice in a parking lot with cones is the way to go. I taught both my daughters and a niece to drive. Practice is the only way they'll pick it up.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by acb

If you are paying attention while you are approaching traffic (or it is approaching you) and you drive pro actively, you should never need to turn around to check a blind spot. However, if you ride mindlessly in a lane not paying attention to cars approaching or the cars you are approaching yourself, you may need to turn your head. Theres nothing scarier to see someone with a big stiff rubber neck turned around checking their blind spot and someone in front starts slowing down. IMHO, checking your blind spot a lot = FAIL.

PS. I've riden bikes too and if you aren't assuming that they can't see you, you aren't riding right.

Last edited by kylek13; 06-11-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Bike or car, it doesn't matter. Assume nobody can see you and you'll avoid accidents. I've been street riding for 20yrs.

But on the subject of checking over your shoulder - you can glance. You don't need to stare. I'm very aware of my surroundings, but it's always possible for someone to slip into your blind spot when driving.

If you're allowing a safe following distance, there absolutely no danger in a quick shoulder check.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:23 AM

1991 560SEC Teal 1989 420SEL Ice Blue 1984 500SEC White

BINGO

and if not YOU WILL FAIL at the NJ DMV drivers test.

I was waiting to hear just your answer.

I was going to wise crack it and say use a fork lift, than I realized that they must be scarce in th USA since mfg. has mostly left the homeland.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by kylek13
If you are paying attention while you are approaching traffic (or it is approaching you) and you drive pro actively, you should never need to turn around to check a blind spot. However, if you ride mindlessly in a lane not paying attention to cars approaching or the cars you are approaching yourself, you may need to turn your head. Theres nothing scarier to see someone with a big stiff rubber neck turned around checking their blind spot and someone in front starts slowing down. IMHO, checking your blind spot a lot = FAIL.

PS. I've riden bikes too and if you aren't assuming that they can't see you, you aren't riding right.
My fav piece of info came from a good friend/CHP (bike rider) says "If you can't see 18 whlr/or any vehicles driver in their rearview side mirrors, they can't see you" hence keep your eyes on the road in front of youchk your mirrors & only rarely in bad 405 trfc will you need the occasional 1/2 sec glance over shoulder while merging in the heaviest stop n' go traffic. IE (at stand still waiting to get into another faster moving lane or exit ramp)

Last edited by Thericker; 06-11-2009 at 05:50 PM.